Tamiya extra thin cement? Any good?

A_S

Hi all

just a query on how people have found it? Just getting back into modelling and always used humbrol stuff but I saw this and liked the application method with the fine brush.

Being Tamiya, I thought it would be ok, but I’ve had mixed results. Sometimes it ‘sticks’ sometimes it doesn’t and a day or more later I get a nasty surprise when my bit falls off or I knock it slightly and it comes loose. Never had this problem with the humbrol stuff?

thanks

For seam between large bits like fuselage halves and wings, I really like it. The capillary action is great. For small bits, like antenna, bomb racks, etc, I still use tube glue. Right now, I'm using a small tube that came free with an Airfix Starter kit.

Chris

• Like 1

Ive noticed with my Tamiya extra thin that after some time it gets cloudy. Once that happens it loses its adhesive qualities to some degree. Normally i use it for seams and most things small. For stronger flexible bonds i use tube glue on invisible joints or internal connections. Finished with the Tamiya. 

I wonder if it’s about how good the joint is sometimes I dry assemble the joint then use capillary action to get the glue in.  Sometimes I paint the open joint and position the part.  The closer the join the better the result.  

I also use extra thin to create my liquid sprue which I use as filler.  Sometimes I paint this on to the inside of joints if I need to strengthen them..

• Like 2

Extra Thin evaporates really fast so you might need to dab a bit more glue than you normally would using other stuff. I use Mr. Cement S which is basically the same glue, just a lot cheaper and I've never had parts come apart. 

The change in transparency is most likely from residue on the brush. When you dab glue on the plastic you actually get a bit of styrene on the brush and you put it in the jar and in time that builds up and changes the adhesive from perfectly translucent to grey or whatever the color of the styrene. Mine is almost black now because I've used it for putting back together some black plastic cases. Actually useful cause I can see better where the glue goes on grey styrene (which is probably why Gunze makes a black Cement version).

• Like 3

I have to wonder if you're using it properly. Tamiya Extra Thin (TET) is not so much a glue that you apply to one part, then attach it to another - ideally you're holding the two parts together already, then apply the cement. Capillary action seeps the TET between the parts and starts the melting/bonding process. 

Because this isn't an adhesive and actually melts plastic together, if pieces are falling apart, it suggests to me that your bond wasn't great to begin with.

Like bmwh548 states the glue evaporates really quickly, so if you are applying to one piece, then another, then joining the parts, most of it has already gone. That said there are times I do apply the cement this way, but I make sure to really load up the part with a small pool (not for anywhere visible, more like for locating tabs and pins). I use TET for 95% of my plastic assembly, and have had no trouble with my older well used bottle compared to the new one that replaces it.

Ooh almost forgot, this isn't so great on painted surfaces, as again it melts plastic to plastic. So if you're trying this, it could be where your issues lie.