Suzuki GSX-R 750 (early)

Neil

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I have only just noticed this, we FINALLY have an early road-version Suzuki GSX-R 750 in kit form, a 1 /12 Hasegawa model. Have so wanted a model of one of these for who-knows how long, now we have one.

Have owned a few types of real GSX-R's over the years (very fond memories of them too!!) and can NOW model my very first one from all those years back ……  :yahoo:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10635934

Happy days!

B)

• Like 2

Wow, awesome find.

Had the early UK GSXR750 too back in 1986, the second edition, with one piece seat and slightly different blue white colour styling, the clocks were different too with just 2 dials for speedo and tach on a light grey foam mounting, could scratch build that though and fill in the seat seam or model it with seat fairing fitted.

It will be modelled with my own plate too :)

Has this been released?

A must have for me too.

My one brand new and about an hour old, happy days :) (this is from a friends photo album so excuse the spelling)

spacer.png

• Like 1

And to answer my own question, yes they are out but not over in UK yet, ordered one from Ebay just now from Taiwan for £36 shipped, will build it per kit markings and then when they arrive in UK get another and attempt to do it my real ex GSX-R markings and slight mods it would need.

It's available from Japan for about £22. Also coming soon is the Suzuki RG400. Yes, 400. Shame it's not the 500. I'd love to build the 500. Already looked at it and it would need some different front discs, front indicators and a belly pan part along with a few other odds and ends to make a proper 500, hmmm....

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10662376

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steve Noble said:

No, the RG is a 400 two stroke, whereas the GSXR750 is a four stroke. Similar colour scheme, but I think that's where the similarity ends. Completely different bike to be honest..

I know that Steve :)

What I meant was, the RG400 and RG500 are essentially the same bikes, there was no comparison made between the Suzuki RG flat four series and the totally separate four stroke Suzuki GSX-R series engine from me at all.

The Suzuki 400 and and 500 Gammas were physically the same size and share same fairing parts ETC

And I do know my Suzuki RG500's as well.

One of my pals owned a Stan Stephen stage 3 tuned 500 gamma, raced it in Scotland Proddie class, rode it a few times myself, could not keep the front wheel on the ground :)

Went through gear boxes, cassete gear boxes as I recall like nothing on earth, he switched to 600 cc four stroke class and was Scottish champ for ages

I do know the difference.

If only you knew :)

Edited by One 48
  • Thanks 1

Also Steve, and not having a go, but you state "It's available from Japan for about £22" We were talking the Hasegawa GSXR-750 kit in that context.

Where exactly? Bought one for £36, where are you seeing the £22 ones?

Please share the link Steve.

I'd buy 4 at that price in a heartbeat if it were so.

Edited by One 48

9 hours ago, One 48 said:

Also Steve, and not having a go, but you state "It's available from Japan for about £22" We were talking the Hasegawa GSXR-750 kit in that context.

Where exactly? Bought one for £36, where are you seeing the £22 ones?

Please share the link Steve.

I'd buy 4 at that price in a heartbeat if it were so.

Sorry for the confusion, not sure why I thought you were saying the GSXR and RG were the same bike, brain fart moment on my part 😉

GSXR750 £22 at hobbysearch Japan

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10635934

And £21 at HLJ 

https://www.hlj.com/1-12-scale-suzuki-gsx-r750-g-gr71g-hsgbk7

And £19 at Plaza, they have a sale on...

https://www.plazajapan.com/4967834215078/

Edited by Steve Noble
  • Like 2

Great bike in it's day, nearly bought one the end of the '80s but having a biggish build with playing rugby at the time, I found it a little cramped for distances so I went with a GPZ900r instead 😀

Ian :) 

• Like 2

Thanks Steve, just ordered up another Hasegawa GSXR 750 from Plaza, so that's two on the way, one will be kit markings the second I'll try to do in the markings my old real one was, couple of minor physical differences too.

Also while I was on Plaza, ordered a 1/12 Aoshimi Suzuki Katana 1000 new style in silver, its built and quality looks iffy, but thinking I might be able to strip it down and add more detail and respray ETC, used to own real Katana's too in early 80's, quite like the new Suzuki Kat but am 60 now and my back is done for.

Plaza are OK, dealt with them a few times now.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 4:27 AM, One 48 said:

Wow, awesome find.

Had the early UK GSXR750 too back in 1986, the second edition, with one piece seat and slightly different blue white colour styling, the clocks were different too with just 2 dials for speedo and tach on a light grey foam mounting, could scratch build that though and fill in the seat seam or model it with seat fairing fitted.

It will be modelled with my own plate too :)

A must have for me too.

My first GSX-R 750 was the 'F' variant, very early type, with the shorter swingarm (about 25mm shorter), two piece seat, slightly different fairing lower that sloped backwards on it's front edge instead of curving forwards like yours, perforated heat shield on the exhaust can, but similar colour scheme to yours. It was my first 'big' bike, prior to that I had owned Yamaha LC 350's and such (Blue and White, naturally)   …….  :yahoo:

Hasegawa have issued the 750 kit with what looks like the Japanese spec colour scheme (home market I guess, and all that) which looks very much like the scheme used on the UK spec 1100 series we had here. Shouldn't be too much of a problem to spray the Hasegawa kit to represent the UK spec early 750's though.

About 5 years ago I did grab one of the Fujimi 1/12 Yoshimura GSX-R 750 race bike kits, in the Grey/Red scheme, the intention was to modify it into the 1986 SERT Suzuki GSX-R 750 endurance bike in the Blue and White scheme. Actually started building it, but other things got in the way and never got around to finishing it, which was a shame because I bought lots of photo-etch, resin, machined aluminium bits for it from Hobby Design and Top Studio and such. One day maybe!

Fujimi box cover:

49511553106_b7f093de0e_o.jpg

1986 SERT Suzuki GSX-R 750 endurance bike:

49511780817_056a3becd5_o.jpg

I want to order at least a couple of the new Hasegawa 750 kits, have genuinely wanted to build an early road version of the bike for such a long time, now I can!  :winkgrin: .  Wouldn't mind doing an In Progress build of it too on here at some point;  back in 2008 I did an In progress build for the World Motorsport Group Build, here on BM, of the 1/12 Tamiya Suzuki RGV XR89 race bike, which was a very enjoyable build.

Linky below:

Who knows, one day I may even get around to building the 1/10 Nichimo Yamaha 350 LC kit that I have had in the stash for many years, in Blue and White of course, ahem ….  (the same colour scheme that my LC was, surprise, surprise, bit of a running theme here I think …. !!  ;) ).

49511605791_e54f728f59_o.jpg

B)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2020 at 9:11 AM, One 48 said:

just ordered up another Hasegawa GSXR 750 from Plaza

Plaza are OK, dealt with them a few times now.

Recently ordered a couple of the GSX-R 750 kits from them also. Looking forward to finally building a kit of this iconic 'bike, will be nice to have at least one in my display case.  :yahoo:

B)

• Like 1