Nor-Fly DC3

Jpthedog

15 hours ago, CliffB said:

Nice work with the gloss black.  It's never easy!

Cheers

Cliff - still not got it right!

15 hours ago, Col. said:

Looks smooth John :goodjob:

Col - looks can be deceptive! Not as smooth in real life - I had the plastic polished smoother! Considering using my polishing cloths on it before going with the AK aluminium - probably over thinking things!

• Like 2

getting a super smooth gloss blank is so hard to do, but it looks pretty good, well done.

As you say a good buffing could be all she needs to get a good base for the metallic. Just give the paint plenty of time to cure first.

• Like 1

Sunday afternoons progress:

So here I have added a tail light for this civil DC3 - clear sprue, cut to small length, drilled and filled with red paint, then glue to plastic sprue, then sanded with increasingly fine grit to a smooth tube. Then i hacked a slice in the tail for the light and filled around with sprue goo!

20200229_181011_resized.jpg

Here we see the gloss sanded with polishing cloths 3600 grit - i felty this was smoother. Venturi isnt in the way of the decal I dont think, so its staying there. Foam I had used to mask/block the windows removed as it was masking too much. Just sparayed around the windows...

20200229_181236_resized.jpg

Shiny DC3 with masking still on the control surfaces and cone masks on the engines. AK Xtreme metal sprayed on, which is quite forgiving. A few annoying blemishes to rectify.

20200301_162439_resized.jpg

Side view

20200301_162448_resized.jpg

Masking to aileron removed

20200301_162952_resized.jpg

Tail light on and painted

20200301_163309_resized.jpg

Probably seal the whole lot now with Kleer to protect it from my clumsy way of working. It can be polished but tahts where i muck it up, so not doing that this time. Then re-spray a couple of the panels with blemishes - then decals!

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 8:29 AM, ragnarec said:

Another small thing I forgot to mention. On my model, the venturi tube on the left fuselage got in conflict with the window stripe decal. The decals are correct, the problem is the venturi. I would suggest slicing it off and repositioning it according to the drawings.

Ragnarec

Hmm - I thought the decal would miss the venturi - no, so I had to slice it off mid-decalling! Not the best - now its a respray of one panel.... as i say I seem to take two steps forward and one back!

• Sad 1

Pictorial update - should have been finished by now but the usual glitches..

Landing lights in - used the rhinestones for the first time!

20200307_164543_resized.jpg

Another view with the painted props

20200308_162807_resized.jpg

Tail decal on - quite thick and inflexible

20200308_170610_resized.jpg

One side strip on

20200311_132438_resized.jpg

Aaargh! The venturi was indeed in the wrong place for the decal - scalpel to the rescue mid decalling session - not best practice! Will need to respray the panel. You can see the bubbles in the humbrol clear fix too - will look great from 6 feet away!

20200311_132426_resized.jpg

• Like 10

There's a good excuse to scratch-build a better venturi John ;) 

With those decals on the right side this one really is looking great :speak_cool:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jpthedog said:

Tail decal on - quite thick and inflexible

That was my experience, too. I ended up masking and painting the tail stripe. On the other hand, it seems that you have avoided the strange decal shrinking I experienced - I must have got a bad sample of the decal sheet.  Very nice work so far, btw. I really like the metal finish. Have you had any problems with masking over the Xtreme Metal paint? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Col. said:

There's a good excuse to scratch-build a better venturi John ;) 

With those decals on the right side this one really is looking great :speak_cool:

Cheers Col - oh I've yot to replace it?? 

3 hours ago, ragnarec said:

That was my experience, too. I ended up masking and painting the tail stripe. On the other hand, it seems that you have avoided the strange decal shrinking I experienced - I must have got a bad sample of the decal sheet.  Very nice work so far, btw. I really like the metal finish. Have you had any problems with masking over the Xtreme Metal paint? 

Ragnarec - i will settle the tail decal still but no shrinking which is important to match the windows. Metal xtreme is sealed with Klear to protect it but no problem masking etc. Thanks for the comments

• Like 1

gee she looks really smart with some decals on!!

I've lost count of the number of time I've hd to do the sort of correction/masking/repainting. Luckily it looks like you had plenty of room to work around that area, no decals to worry about.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2020 at 10:15 PM, trickyrich said:

gee she looks really smart with some decals on!!

I've lost count of the number of time I've hd to do the sort of correction/masking/repainting. Luckily it looks like you had plenty of room to work around that area, no decals to worry about.

Rich - cheers. Was a relatively easy spray of a panel and plenty space to work round as you say.

Here is the DC3 finished anyway. Got there eventually after spending ages on aerials etc. Not perfect but overall a good addition to my collection of completed models.

20200328_182411_resized.jpg

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Lovely work John :goodjob:

Cheers Col

1 hour ago, desert falcon said:

She looks fantastic 👍

Is that a DC-10 in the background?

Thanks for that. looks fine from a distance!  Yes SAS DC10 that I acquired from a club member - fine trijet!

• Like 1

NICE!!! You can't beat a nice simple scheme on NMF and the NMF just shows off the lines on the DC-3 perfectly.

Well done, I think she's a fine addition to any collection and will nicely stand out in the gallery! :thumbsup:

Thanks for joining the GB, I do hope you enjoyed it, as it was a pleasure to have you along.

• Like 1