Nor-Fly DC3

Jpthedog

My second entry for this great GB from my stash - Italeri C47 with Nor-Fly decals, Norwegian airline from the 70's. This machine, LN-KLV used to be a regular visitor to Aberdeen, Dyce in 73, 74 before being replaced with Convair 440 equipment. The kit is Italeri which has nice recessed panel lines and is regarded as the best C47/DC3 in 1/72 scale. I will need to cut out a couple of passenger windows but I wont be building the passenger interior I dont think. Decals are Norwegian company Lima November - a mix of laser and silk screen for some reason - they look smart!

Obligatory pre-start pics

DC3+20200205_202131_resized.jpg

DC3+20200205_202305_resized.jpg

DC3+20200205_202211_resized.jpgL

Looking forward to a 'big' airliner!

• Like 18

Excellent choice of kit and decals JP. I have used Lima November decals a few times and they are very good.

A couple of tips for the Italeri DC-3:

1. Get an Eduard masking set for the windows to save alot of bother.

2. The windows are a bit recessed into the fuselage when fitted. To make them flush, sand down the clear plastic that joins tE window panes together.

I recently built the same kit in NMF and doped silver. Alclad Aluminium works well for the NMF and their High Speed Silver looks good for the doped sections, especially after a layer of matt varnish. I found it best to spray the aluminium first and mask round it for the HS silver. The HS silver did not bond well to the primer and lifted off at every masked section.

Hope that helps

regards Toby

• Like 1

4 hours ago, desert falcon said:

This is going to be a sweet DC-3, have fun building it !

Cheers Desert Falcon - I will - i did start an Italeri C47 10+ years ago before i got really into modelling and looks OK but not to my required standard of today! 

3 hours ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Excellent choice of kit and decals JP. I have used Lima November decals a few times and they are very good.

A couple of tips for the Italeri DC-3:

1. Get an Eduard masking set for the windows to save alot of bother.

2. The windows are a bit recessed into the fuselage when fitted. To make them flush, sand down the clear plastic that joins tE window panes together.

I recently built the same kit in NMF and doped silver. Alclad Aluminium works well for the NMF and their High Speed Silver looks good for the doped sections, especially after a layer of matt varnish. I found it best to spray the aluminium first and mask round it for the HS silver. The HS silver did not bond well to the primer and lifted off at every masked section.

Hope that helps

regards Toby

Toby

Cheers - yes I used LN decals for my Wideroe DHC Otter flaotplane a few years ago - very nice! Not many pics of LN-KLV on the net that I could find.

Tips - yeah will check out the set and see if they are a decent price! I could also use Humbrol Clearfix which works well on small windows and can be applied after painting.

NMF - I use AK Metal Extreme and its very forgiving I've found. I have 4 different shades and Tamiya silver works alright as a high speed silver - I do have a range of Alcld bottles but never used them due to the reports it was so difficult to work with.... 

I think there are some grey areas too on the Nor Fly  Dc3. But always happy to experiment to expand skills and knowledge where I can sop thanks for the tips -thts what make BM such a great platform for modelling geeks!

Will update when i get something to photograph.

JP

• Like 2

welcome along JP with your second build and one that's bound to be a favourite for some, a DC-3.

It's nice to see these civilian aircraft in a GB and they do look small in their schemes. Is that a MAD boom in the top pic, and on a civilian aircraft??

Well good luck with the build, I'm sure there'll be a lot of interested followers, and I look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Like 1

Thanks Rich

The DC3 is always a winner! Yeah a MAD boom is one of the options - presume must have carried out survey work at some point - was a straight passenger aircraft when I saw it in Aberdeen - i recall the puff of smoke at startup and the squeaky brakes......seemed vintage even in 1974!

• Like 2

Sundays update. So a start today with the aim of getting the fusealge closed up today - that meant no scratch-building of passenger seats or even searching out civilian pilots.....

First task cut our 2 new passenger windows as shown of the Lima November detailed decal instructions - this is the method I adopted from Brett Green's modelling book - Dyno tape keeping my favourite Olfa scriber on the right track!

20200209_105752.jpg

Halfway through - just slowly with the scriber until you go through the plastic..

20200209_110919.jpg

And we are through!

20200209_111626.jpg

Tidy-ish window aperture

20200209_112450_resized.jpg

Cargo and passenger doors to be inserted - trying to disguise the cargo door..

20200209_112928_resized.jpg

20200209_114658_resized.jpg

Scribing in some panel lines... and cargo door hinges cut off with scalpel

20200209_114940_resized.jpg

Some plasticard to hold the doors in place

20200209_121735_resized.jpg

Went with light gret interior for a civvy DC3

20200209_141531_resized.jpg

State of play by late afternoon

20200209_161509_resized.jpg

Flushed in doors....

20200209_161520_resized.jpg

Decal sheet No2 is laser printed so needs a coat of Klear - brushed on for speed

20200209_174549_resized.jpg

Apologies for photo heavy update - hopefully of interest to fellow Nordic GB followers

• Like 10

Nice update and topic. The Italeri DC-3 is a long loved classic and builds up quite nicely. Good work on that extra window and I’m with you regarding AK’s extreme metal paints.. so easy to use and the results are very pleasing. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 10:03 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice update and topic. The Italeri DC-3 is a long loved classic and builds up quite nicely. Good work on that extra window and I’m with you regarding AK’s extreme metal paints.. so easy to use and the results are very pleasing. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

Dave Thanks for the kind words. Coming together without much problem.

Considering some additional scribing and riveting - thoughts before i glue on the wings (more difficult to work on!)? Looking for good references to see if it is worthwhile/desirable.

• Like 1

Awesome work and what a wonderful scheme you’ve opted for. 👍😎

i don’t know if you’re aware or are not so concerned but the Dc-3 civvy rear door is a different shape to the inset c-47 door.

See the black door surround on the decals.

Anyway - maybe not so important just thought I’d throw it out there before paint.

• Like 1

I like what you did with the cargo door JP. The new window is also nicely done, I was reading about restored DC-3s last night and one US airline requested the extra window in the 1930s, United I think? So perhaps this one started as a United aircraft?

I recall an Aussie manufacturer (Red Roo) had a resin replacement door to make the C-47 into a DC-3. I am not sure they are available these days.

Sundays update. 

Started by re-shaping the props from the 'paddles' that they were - went by eye on the Lima November decal instructions/profile.

dak+20200215_171427_resized.jpg

Prop cleaned up - I applied some Tamiya thin to the hub as thats easier that trying to sand....

20200216_153311_resized.jpg

Engines painted prior to assembly

20200216_155639_resized.jpg

Another

20200216_152201_resized.jpg

Assembled and painted - not too happy with the carefully masked de-icing strips.... - paint too thin and crept under the masking tape - as usual! Will re-do.

20200216_174622_resized.jpg

Wings are on, but a gap at the wing route - similar underneath - plasticard strip has now gone in to fill and strengthen the joint.

20200216_123114_resized.jpg

Last one for today - the exhausts needed hollowing out and here we see one completed compared to the original. Drilled with small, then larger drill, then scalpel to finish!!

20200216_151259_resized.jpg

Apologies for the pics the wrong way round - in a hurry. Any way it will be ready for priming next week, Whats best for AK Extreme? I have used Tamiya white primer before and that is very difficult to cover evenly or at least to look even.  I know gloss black primer is recommended, but never had huge success with that. Basic tips above but hopefully interesting enough build for others.

JP

Edited by Jpthedog
  • Like 5

On 2/12/2020 at 11:47 PM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I like what you did with the cargo door JP. The new window is also nicely done, I was reading about restored DC-3s last night and one US airline requested the extra window in the 1930s, United I think? So perhaps this one started as a United aircraft?

I recall an Aussie manufacturer (Red Roo) had a resin replacement door to make the C-47 into a DC-3. I am not sure they are available these days.

Cheers Ray

Still conjouring with what best to do with it so will probaby develop it firther to try and disguise it. I could spend a bit more time really trying to remove all traces of cargo door and correct the passenger door shape - see how things go.

Not checked LN-KLV history which I really should - then I will be changing this and that and checking engine types etc etc. Happy to crack on and get another build accross the line.

JP

• Like 1

You're taking care of all the small details there John. The wing root gaps are disappointing but sure you'll master them as well. Nice progress.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 7:46 AM, Col. said:

You're taking care of all the small details there John. The wing root gaps are disappointing but sure you'll master them as well. Nice progress.

Thanks Col - yes Ive lernt that working on the small details makes a difference. Wing roots not too bad - mix of fillers for these.......

Plastic putty is great for a thin even joint that you want to dissapear. The other two for bigger filling jobs - take forever to sand.....

dak+20200218_200841.jpg

• Like 5

Nice start! I built exactly the same airplane some years back, also using the Italeri kit in combination with the LN Decal sheet. I had some troubles with with the window decals. The fit the kit exactly when on the sheet, but shrunk a bit when immersed in water. Which meant that I had to slice up the decals in sections and touch up with a fine brush afterwards. It would have been easier to just mask and paint the stripes. Hopefully your decal sheet will behave better! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ragnarec said:

Nice start! I built exactly the same airplane some years back, also using the Italeri kit in combination with the LN Decal sheet. I had some troubles with with the window decals. The fit the kit exactly when on the sheet, but shrunk a bit when immersed in water. Which meant that I had to slice up the decals in sections and touch up with a fine brush afterwards. It would have been easier to just mask and paint the stripes. Hopefully your decal sheet will behave better! 

Thanks - hopefully your DC3 turned out well. OK youre filling me with trepadation about the decals - at least I am warned - the stripes I think are now silk decals - whatever that is and the registration etc laser printed - wait and see how they get on when they hit the water!

Another small thing I forgot to mention. On my model, the venturi tube on the left fuselage got in conflict with the window stripe decal. The decals are correct, the problem is the venturi. I would suggest slicing it off and repositioning it according to the drawings.

On 2/26/2020 at 8:29 AM, ragnarec said:

The decals are correct, the problem is the venturi. I would suggest slicing it off and repositioning it according to the drawings.

Cheers again - will check - but just primed the dc3 in gloss black.....

• Like 1