First model in 20 years, 100% hand painted

MB13

8 hours ago, desert falcon said:

As mentioned above, you have done an exellent job on that F-18 👍 

Will be looking forward to see your Raptor as well, as I have recently bought the same kit. Wondering how to best replicate the stealth paint?

Yes it will be a good challenge really don't know yet what I'm going to do with it.. 🤔 😅

Do you hand brush it too or airbrush??

Everyone else has already said it, but I'm going to as well!  I think that looks great - wouldn't know it was not air brushed!  The weathering is pretty good - not over the top, but enough to make it look like its been well used.

Like you, I've come back to the hobby after some decades out, and it's changed quite a lot!  Paint in particular - such a massive choice of brands!  On the Phantom I am currently working on, I used Tamiya primer from a spray can and then hand painted Xtracrylics.  Has worked pretty well, although there are visible brush marks, doesn't look quite as good as your hornet.  I've also found that flat brushes, kept in their packets when not in use, are better than rounded brushes left lying around on the desk.  The latter seemed to result in lots of bits in my paint which I spent ages trying to pick out 😞

Al.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MB13 said:

Yes it will be a good challenge really don't know yet what I'm going to do with it.. 🤔 😅

Do you hand brush it too or airbrush??

Well I’m sure there will be someone more experienced around to help on that soon 🙂

In my own search on how to do a stealth paint job, I came across this very helpful post on another forum (hope it’s okay to post it here, if not I’ll delete it immediately). 

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/303049-obsession-with-fs-36170-who-got-it-right/

Another thing I am thinking of on the F-22 is the canopy, I’m sure you have noticed the golden shine. There is post on it here on BM as well. 

And finally one for your inspiration, taken by myself at the recent Dubai Airshow. 

5ad7bc180b3222dc7913fa5c443ecaf3.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alhenderson said:

Everyone else has already said it, but I'm going to as well!  I think that looks great - wouldn't know it was not air brushed!  The weathering is pretty good - not over the top, but enough to make it look like its been well used.

Like you, I've come back to the hobby after some decades out, and it's changed quite a lot!  Paint in particular - such a massive choice of brands!  On the Phantom I am currently working on, I used Tamiya primer from a spray can and then hand painted Xtracrylics.  Has worked pretty well, although there are visible brush marks, doesn't look quite as good as your hornet.  I've also found that flat brushes, kept in their packets when not in use, are better than rounded brushes left lying around on the desk.  The latter seemed to result in lots of bits in my paint which I spent ages trying to pick out 😞

Al.

Thnaks a lot Al!! Would like to see your Phantom I'm sure it's beautiful too!

As for my brushes I use 3/4 inche flat brushes for large areas, alsways clean them with water after use and put them in a jar with the brissles in the air without anything touching them. It seems to help keeping the brushes in good condition.

32 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

Well I’m sure there will be someone more experienced around to help on that soon 🙂

In my own search on how to do a stealth paint job, I came across this very helpful post on another forum (hope it’s okay to post it here, if not I’ll delete it immediately). 

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/303049-obsession-with-fs-36170-who-got-it-right/

Another thing I am thinking of on the F-22 is the canopy, I’m sure you have noticed the golden shine. There is post on it here on BM as well. 

And finally one for your inspiration, taken by myself at the recent Dubai Airshow. 

5ad7bc180b3222dc7913fa5c443ecaf3.jpg

Your link seems really intersting! I doubdt I will be able to achieve such a result but I will try to.. lolll

• Like 1

On 05/02/2020 at 13:58, Stelangton said:

I think its good mate, really like that stand!! Did you build the stand yourself and if so how?

Yes I made it but it is very simple! I made a sticker on Zazzle.com and bought it, then I put it on a pine wood base. Then I tinted it black. I bought 1/4 acrylic rods on Ebay, heated them to bend them, and insert them in the holes I did in the base and in the jet exhaust. I firmly glued some plastic tubes inside the model so the rods would go inside those and it would be solid enough to hold the jet.

11 hours ago, Devo said:

Top job!

Brush painters rule!!🧹

Haha!! Yeah Devo even if we are now about 1% of all the modellers in the world these days loll

You still brush paint all your models too?

5 hours ago, MB13 said:

Haha!! Yeah Devo even if we are now about 1% of all the modellers in the world these days loll

You still brush paint all your models too?

Yes mate, I still brush paint all my models after 40 odd years of sticking plastic bits together. 👍

I will use a rattle can for clear coats these days though....gotta be a bit modern. :D

I shall never submit to the airbrush!! :lalala:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Devo said:

Yes mate, I still brush paint all my models after 40 odd years of sticking plastic bits together. 👍

I will use a rattle can for clear coats these days though....gotta be a bit modern. :D

I shall never submit to the airbrush!! :lalala:

Hahaha! I use those cans too, mr super clear it does a great job!!

2 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

If I may ask, why are you guys so opposed to using an air brush?   You do have great skill with brushing:worthy: ; do you use that method for its ease, or simplicity, or?   Thanks! 😀

Thanks Gary! It's just that this is the way I have always done my models so for me that's how we do it, and I also loved it back in the days so I wanted to continue that way 😜  I didn't even know that poeple were doing it with an airbrush these days and when I discovered it I tough man they are missing so much fun! Also brush painting is a real challenge and when you succed at it it's kind of satisfying loll

Another thing I find is that airbrush looks really messy and needs a lot of maintenance, and you need a spray booth and everything.. Don't really want to go that route..

I'm not ''opposed'' to airbrushing and I'm not saying it is easy at all, it must be really hard to get the right mix of thinning, air pressure, angle, distance etc.. to have a great result, but you will never have to be carefull for the brush marks so maybe more forgiving than brushing.. I love the challenge of brushing everything!! :D 

Excellent work.

I've been back into the hobby also after about 15 years and used a brush.

After ignoring a lot of people regarding getting an airbrush I've now got one and I have to say the hype is true.

Its easier to get a nice finish, a lot less coats of paint (if you're using water based acrylics you'll probably understand where I'm, coming from) and its good fund using one.

So I would recommend one!

In answer to your question though when I have brush painted I've primed and I still do on all models.

Edited by Oberleutnant
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Oberleutnant said:

Also, I see you mentioned Vallejo Air for brush painting.

I think the VA is actually better to brush paint with than Model Color.

Its already been thinned for you instead of the Color which is way too thick as you know.

Thanks mate!

I did some testing with the Model Air yesterday and I discovered that strait out of the bottle, I had little brush marks, so I thinned it at a ratio of 2 parts paint to 1 part water and got a much better result with no brush marks so I will try that  with my Raptor and hope for the best! :) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MB13 said:

Thanks Gary! It's just that this is the way I have always done my models so for me that's how we do it, and I also loved it back in the days so I wanted to continue that way 😜  I didn't even know that poeple were doing it with an airbrush these days and when I discovered it I tough man they are missing so much fun! Also brush painting is a real challenge and when you succed at it it's kind of satisfying loll

Another thing I find is that airbrush looks really messy and needs a lot of maintenance, and you need a spray booth and everything.. Don't really want to go that route..

I'm not ''opposed'' to airbrushing and I'm not saying it is easy at all, it must be really hard to get the right mix of thinning, air pressure, angle, distance etc.. to have a great result, but you will never have to be carefull for the brush marks so maybe more forgiving than brushing.. I love the challenge of brushing everything!! :D 

Great answer MB13!  Work with what ya know, and with what succeeds for you-that's a good philosophy to follow.   I guess I air brush at a pretty low intensity-level. I use an ancient, singe-action Paasche Model H airbrush, the design of which goes back to the 1930s, maybe earlier.   I have no spray booth but I do have a small oscillating fan to ventilate the area.  For many years I used a noisy old, air compressor that pulsed out 30 psi; when that ol' dog crapped out I switched to CO2.  I find it's best to think of the airbrush as a precision brush and not a "spray-gun".  If one can see any overspray in the air,  the pressure is way too high.  It was one thing when I used an airless paint sprayer to put on 40 gallons of wall paint working as a painter, quite another to finesse a camo job or nice bare metal finish.   🙂

I do find that I use the AB more than I did when I first started with it.   I have quite a few nice brushes that all get used eventually but I seem to save time and effort by spraying as many parts as possible.   I can switch colors, or types of paint, in just a couple minutes with my Model H, having gotten my cleanup method sort of perfected over 40 odd years.  I would like to expand my airbrushing horizons and do have a couple double-action ABs including a very nice SOTAR but will confess to being intimidated by them.  Again, there's that going with what ya know thing, right?😉

The successes shown by you brush-painters does impress me and inspire me to give it a go sometimes.   Each new skill a modeler learns only adds another tool to their box.  Thanks for the inspiration!  

Edited by Gary Brantley
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MB13 said:

Thanks mate!

I did some testing with the Model Air yesterday and I discovered that strait out of the bottle, I had little brush marks, so I thinned it at a ratio of 2 parts paint to 1 part water and got a much better result with no brush marks so I will try that  with my Raptor and hope for the best! :) 

Good luck with it!

• Like 1