First model in 20 years, 100% hand painted

MB13

Bravo. That’s a very tidy model. You can be very happy with how that has turned out. I am with you on weathering. Less is more usually unless the subject being modelled was particularly mucky. 
Im looking forward to seeing your next one

• Like 1

Welcome back to the fold! Well it looks pretty good to me for someone who hasn't made a model for 20 years. Like most things - practice and experience will improve techniques. Like the stand too!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

Thank you all really did not expect that kind of feedback thanks a lot guys!!!!

OK so after watching reviews and stuff on the net I went with Vallejo's primer and acrylic paints because they seemed to be the best for hand brushing. I chose there Model Color wich I thinned 50/50 with tap water, but for my next model I will try the Model Air without thninning it seems a good thing to try as it is already thinned.

I bought some brushes at a store nearby. I did not buy windsor and newton series 7 but went with Royal and Langnickel since they looked soft and good quality. I had no other to compare them to but they felt pretty good so I think they do the job. I also bought Mr. super clear, Gloss and Matte.

After the model was built I cleaned it out with Mig thinner for washes. Then I brush primed it with Vallejo's black primer. After that just thinned the paint 50/50 and carefully painted the model the best I could, just passing one time everywhere not going on an already painted spot 5-6 minutes later as it has already begun to dry. Did 4 coats on the under side and only 2 coats on the top (I was surprised with that).

Let it cure for about 24 hrs than put a coat of Mr super clear Gloss. Then the decals with Micro Set and Sol and another coat of Gloss varnish.

For the wheathering I went with Windsor and Newton Oil paints, Black and Burnt Umber for streaks and overall black whethering. I used the dot technique and tapped on the dots with a rough dry brush to blend them with the grey. (Hope it is clear enough..)

Finally a Mr. super clear Matte coat and thats it!

THE STAND : Very simple! I made a sticker on Zazzle.com and bought it, then I put it on a pine wood base. I bought 1/4 acrylic rods on Ebay, heated them to bend them, and insert them in the holes I did in the base and in the jet exhaust. I firmly glued some plastic tubes inside the model so the rods would go inside those and it would be solid enough to hold the jet.

Thats it!!

btw forgot to put some pics of the under side so here it is.. And the next one is already on the bench! Can't wait to try the camo and see how it turns out! spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by MB13
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Vallejo model air paints sometimes are fine to apply by brush, sometimes it's not going to work. Metallics work great and their RLM70 goes well over a black primer. Others don't go so well on by brush

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Vallejo model air paints sometimes are fine to apply by brush, sometimes it's not going to work. Metallics work great and their RLM70 goes well over a black primer. Others don't go so well on by brush

OK Thanks I tough it was kind of a sure deal with the Air.. Will try but will be carefull and I will switch to Model if it dosen't work!

MB,

Doesn't look like you lost or forgot much during those 20 years! Very nice brushwork and a very neat stand- reminds me of the desk models given out by the aircraft manufacturers back in the day. Welcome to BM- be prepared to sit back and (1) be amazed! (2)learn from some real craftsmen/women! 👍

Mike

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

MB,

Doesn't look like you lost or forgot much during those 20 years! Very nice brushwork and a very neat stand- reminds me of the desk models given out by the aircraft manufacturers back in the day. Welcome to BM- be prepared to sit back and (1) be amazed! (2)learn from some real craftsmen/women! 👍

Mike

Thanks Mike! I'm already amazed by what I see here! unbelievable talent that's for sure!! Will try and do my best to be half good as them loll

what a great return to the hobby! I commend your painting skills, and am sure things like weathering etc will be much more natural to apply now you've done it once. 

Love the home designed stand - Very elegant way of showing a plane in flight.  The approach of fixing through the engines does make me wonder if you could use orange LED's set inside the body, shinning out "through" the acrylic rods to simulate afterburner glow........... hmmmmm :D 

Looking forwards to the Raptor! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

what a great return to the hobby! I commend your painting skills, and am sure things like weathering etc will be much more natural to apply now you've done it once. 

Love the home designed stand - Very elegant way of showing a plane in flight.  The approach of fixing through the engines does make me wonder if you could use orange LED's set inside the body, shinning out "through" the acrylic rods to simulate afterburner glow........... hmmmmm :D 

Looking forwards to the Raptor! 

Thank you! lol I ordered orange rods to do this but never got them :( Maybe will try to fit in the leds would be awesome! :)