A Question About Removing Tamiya Paint

Richard E

Seeking some advice from the Bitmodeller collective mind as I have recently acquired a kit from "the well known auction site" most of which has been airbrushed using Tamiya's paint at some time in the dim and distant past.

When I have finished muttering darkly about the seller's somewhat vague definition of a "started kit", is there a safe and effective way to remove the paint or would it be easier to apply a fresh neutral coloured undercoat to give me a clean pallet to work with.

For the sake of a quiet life I've already taken the caveat emptor approach and decided that it's not worth entering into a debate with the seller about whether the kit was accurately described :)

I've found that either Mr Hobby levelling thinner or, more cheaply, ammonia do a decent job of removing paint without adversely affecting the plastic. I would definitely go that route (messy though it may be) than overpainting.

Cheers,

Colin

• Thanks 1

For me it would come down to how thickly and/or evenly the existing paint is applied. If it looks like a thin, even coat that wouldn't significantly affect subsequent layers, then I'd be inclined to leave as is. Perhaps after a light sanding to give a decent surface for overpainting.

• Thanks 1

Meths will clean off Tamiya paint.  Just gently rub a soaked sheet of kitchen roll over the surface.  If airbrushed on it won’t take much effort to remove.

Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner removes most paints without damaging plastic in my experience.  Wear gloves!

I’d avoid sanding, especially if there’s raised details!

• Thanks 1