1/72 - Bugatti-De Monge 100P racer by Special Hobby - released

Homebee

The original aircraft when found was not painted. It is only since being restored that it was painted blue and with a very unlikely red interior.

All the colour schemes shown are pure speculation.

Forget the about Bugatti/De Monge developing a fighter aircraft from it.

It was designed as a pure racer to attain the outright air speed record aircraft. as it never ever flew we will never know.

The original aircraft had two Bugatti Car engines. The replica had a very different power plant altogether.

• Like 1

The replica had two 1.3L Suzuki Hayabusa 4 cyl motorbike engines, one driving each prop.

One of the original 50B aircraft engines (No7) that was used to design the fuselage around is in the museum at Prescott UK and has never been restored.

Also in the Prescott museum is a colour chip (approx 4in x 6in from the wing fabric) donated by Don Lefferts in 1981, from this I assumed that the aircraft was originally painted?

But could be from their restoration attempt?

Malc.

Edited by Malc2
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Well, not exactly.

As I wrote earlier, aircraft was not finished before German invasion so it couldn't have the finish coat of paint applied. Here is photo from Bugatti’s Ermeronville estate, where aircraft was stored in this condition. Paint is dark, but certainly not the final coat, more likely just a primer needed before final coat could be applied. With all the work that would still need to be done on the plane and all those scratches, you know that another coat of paint would have to come on it.

bugatti-110p-t50b-engines.jpg

What kind of paint? The Bugatti Aircraft Association publishes a magazine / newsletter "the Bugatti Revue". The editor is Jaap Horst, who has written an entire book on the Bugatti 100P. In November 1996 he published this article http://www.bugattirevue.com/revue4/plane.htm with the following information:

The aircraft was dark blue when it was found, and Dupont made this color and called it "Bugatti Aircraft blue". However, it is suspected that the dark blue was really just a primer coat, and that the traditional lighter Bugatti blue would have been applied over it. For the race the plane was to have the number 7.

At this point, it would be rather useful to have an expert in the painting of pre-war Bugatti cars who could say something more about colours and paints, especially about the difference between Bugatti Blue paint and Bugatti Aircraft Blue primer from DuPont.

In any case, it seems logical that an aircraft produced by Bugatti would fly in colours similar to those of Bugatti cars. And the cars were quite bright, as can be seen in the photos of many examples still preserved today or restored to their original state.

And, since we are talking about the original state, by far the most interesting paint job is the state during restoration in which the aircraft was shown at Oshkosh in 1996.

bh-04-im.jpg

• Like 5

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Bugatti-De Monge 100P racer by Special Hobby - 3D renders+schemes+box art - release in 2021
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Bugatti-De Monge 100P racer by Special Hobby - 3D renders+schemes+box art+sprues+test build - release in 2021
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Bugatti-De Monge 100P racer by Special Hobby - released
  • 1 month later...

So, mine has arrived! It caught me by surprise how small it is. A Spitfire is a lot larger on paper but still surprised just how dinky the end product is. A Spitfire tends to be one of the smaller aircraft in any collection but it completely dwarfs the Bugatti. It actually caused me to double check the scale on the box.

I'm looking forward to it, but may have to display it behind a magnifying glass..

Edited by kiseca