1/72 - Bugatti-De Monge 100P racer by Special Hobby - released

Homebee

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Bugatti-De Monge 100P kit by Special Hobby - release in 2021
  • 1 month later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Bugatti-De Monge 100P racer by Special Hobby - 3D renders - release in 2021
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Bugatti-De Monge 100P racer by Special Hobby - 3D renders+schemes - release in 2021

I couldn't imagine it in anything but blue. Anyone know what that second scheme represents in context of the aircraft itself? It's the colours of the French flag, but I don't know if it was ever painted in that scheme, not if it was ever planned to be. So, I'm not sure if it's a "what if" scheme, but then the whole aircraft is pretty much a what if...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kiseca said:

Anyone know what that second scheme represents in context of the aircraft itself?

Kamufláže budou dvě, jedna z nich fiktivníThere will be two camouflages, one of them fictional.

7 minutes ago, kiseca said:

the whole aircraft is pretty much a what if...

Well... a flying replica of the Bugatti 100P was built, and this is basically a kit of that replica, so it's hard to say it's what-if.

47 minutes ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Kamufláže budou dvě, jedna z nich fiktivníThere will be two camouflages, one of them fictional.

Well... a flying replica of the Bugatti 100P was built, and this is basically a kit of that replica, so it's hard to say it's what-if.

Thanks for that. I didn't realise the kit is based on the replica - the original as far as I know is still on display in Wisconsin so I would have assumed they'd use that. As far as I know the original never flew, hence what if, as it never never got the chance to fulfil its purpose.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

8 hours ago, kiseca said:

Thanks for that. I didn't realise the kit is based on the replica - the original as far as I know is still on display in Wisconsin so I would have assumed they'd use that.

So they based the kit on a replica that crashed and literally burned (the site photos are not for the faint-of-heart) five years ago rather than the accessible original or drawings of same?? Eh? What's the source on that, @Piotr Mikolajski?

Edited by k5054nz

I didn't say the kit was modelled on a replica. I'm just saying that the blue paint scheme in the box is the paint scheme of a flying replica, because painting schemes are what we're talking about.

What the model was based on, I have no idea. I also don't know to what extent the replica differed from the original, I only remember that they tried to build it as faithfully as possible. If there's a Bugatti expert here, maybe he can tell more about the differences, because we can't learn too much about it from the renders.

4 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

I didn't say the kit was modelled on a replica. I'm just saying that the blue paint scheme in the box is the paint scheme of a flying replica, because painting schemes are what we're talking about.

What the model was based on, I have no idea. I also don't know to what extent the replica differed from the original, I only remember that they tried to build it as faithfully as possible. If there's a Bugatti expert here, maybe he can tell more about the differences, because we can't learn too much about it from the renders.

The comment of mine that you quoted was "the whole aircraft is pretty much a what if..."

You responded to that sentence with "this is basically a kit of that replica, so hard to say it's a what-if."

So no, you weren't talking about the painting scheme at that point.

6 hours ago, kiseca said:

The comment of mine that you quoted was "the whole aircraft is pretty much a what if..."

And this comment makes no sense, because the plane is no what-if. The original plane never flew, but it exists as much as possible.

You responded to that sentence with "this is basically a kit of that replica, so hard to say it's a what-if."

If you hadn't taken that answer out of context, you would have found that a moment earlier I had written about the fact that there would be two paint schemes in the box, one of them made up.

The one that is not invented is, to me, the replica paint scheme. After all, the original was not completed before the war, so there are no photos of it painted according to Bugatti's vision of what he wanted to achieve on the finished aircraft.

So no, you weren't talking about the painting scheme at that point.

How charming. Someone who knows better than me what I was writing about and what I meant. My ex would be jealous.

It might not have been what you meant, but it absolutely was what you said.

As for the charming comment, that makes us even, I didn't find your original response to me charming, either.

But whatever. Have a nice day, I'm not here to have arguments with testy strangers.

Yesterday Special Hobby published photos of the moulds and it's worth noting the space for the insert in the mould for sprue B.

IMG-20211020-133308.jpg

Such inserts are used to lower mould production cost and give alternative parts injected with those who are repeated in every box - in this case wheels, undercarriage and some cockpit parts.

Another photo shows two halves of one insert with propellers, undercarriage covers and a few other parts.

What kind of alternative parts they can add to this kind of kit?

6 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Yesterday Special Hobby published photos of the moulds and it's worth noting the space for the insert in the mould for sprue B.

IMG-20211020-133308.jpg

Such inserts are used to lower mould production cost and give alternative parts injected with those who are repeated in every box - in this case wheels, undercarriage and some cockpit parts.

Another photo shows two halves of one insert with propellers, undercarriage covers and a few other parts.

What kind of alternative parts they can add to this kind of kit?

Possibly for creating an emergency lightweight fighter like the Caudron 714 - then we are definitely talking about a what if French AF 1941.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LN-KEH said:

Possibly for creating an emergency lightweight fighter like the Caudron 714 - then we are definitely talking about a what if French AF 1941.

In that case, what could appear on the frames? Another propeller? Partial undercarriage covers? Gun barrels? Nothing else comes to mind.

On 10/22/2021 at 3:38 PM, Piotr Mikolajski said:

I I'm just saying that the blue paint scheme in the box is the paint scheme of a flying replica, because painting schemes are what we're talking about.

The completed original was painted the same colour.

An interesting read on the original's development with tidbits about the pursuit variant: https://oldmachinepress.com/2012/11/01/bugatti-model-100p-racer/ 

• Thanks 1