Having a problem with my airbrush(es)

RobL

Hey all

I've got a Harder and Steenbeck Ultra, with both .2 and .4 needles/nozzles.  Recently I feel like I've been having a problem with it.

3 things really. 

1.  The trigger feels stiff. 

2.  I often get the air running on and have to pull the trigger up. 

3.  I seem to have to draw the trigger back quite a bit before I get any paint flow.  It makes putting down a little paint, for panel fading for example, difficult.

I've tried cleaning the nozzles, needles and aircaps, and the trigger/air valve don't look dirty/caked in paint.

Problem 3 also happens with a cheaper "Chinawata" Veda-180 that I've got, but it's always been that way so I've always put it down to it being a cheap "Chinawata", my H&S Ultra I don't recall exhibiting that problem until recently.

Would anyone here be able to help me diagnose and fix these problems?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by RobL

I use same airbrush.  Try lubricating the air valve, and or cleaning out the tiny o-ring buried in the body - when you think you've completely stripped it look down the barrel from the rear and you will see a gland cover with screwdriver recess.

I've only had to clean the o-ring once in three years, but the air-valve several times, usually if the paint thinning mix has gone wrong and seems to end up back there somehow.

I also push the needle out the front rather than back, as it seems odd to pull the dirty needle back through hard to clean places, though that's the standard AB cleaning advice.

Cheers

Will

• Like 3

Take apart the air valve clean it and let it sit for an hour or two. If you use lacquer thinner to clean it the rubber seals will ever so slightly swell up making the valve movement difficult. If you have some Iwata Lube or something similar use it on the moving parts, it does wonders (just a smidge, don't put too much or it will actually have the opposite effect).

Soak the nozzles in the thinner appropriate for your paints (i.e. lacquer if you use lacquer paints). I use a dental brush to clean up the inside of the nozzles, don't force anything through it, gentle touch here. If everything is spotless and you still have the paint flow issue maybe you should add a drop more thinner in the mix. The consistency can change a lot depending on temperature in particular, which is why I never bother measuring my mixes, I just eye-it.