Su-27SKM in 1/72 scale - Italeri conversion

Here is an another Flanker restoration project. I had a partially built Italeri Flanker which I got as a part of auction. Although this model has a lot of known shape issues (incorrect air intakes, too big canopy, very fat radome etc...) still I decieded to give it a chance (at least to test camo pattern templates and custom made decal). 

1397.jpg

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

As I always do, I have started with 3 view drawings and markings  of Su-27SMK aircraft:

Beautiful drawings... I am really wondering how you succeed to draw such artworks  very quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Hornet said:

Beautiful drawings... I am really wondering how you succeed to draw such artworks  very quickly.

Thanks 🙂

I have a huge achieve of my own drawings for various airplane since couple of years. I have made some minor modifications on Su-27KI "305" which I did last year.

Serkan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Robert said:

Nice looking scheme. What is that masking film you use please.

Thanks Robert,

For this project I used Revell masking film which is very thick and not easy to use at edges. But I have in my stock and somehow want to consume it asap.

My favourite masking materials are Oramask paper and Orafoil vinyl masks. I use Oramask paper when I want to make decal fit test as you can find there:

The Orafoil vinyl masks are very thin, fits to highly curved surfaces and sharp edges. You can see here an example:

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

All the masks were removed and the result is very pleasant:

1407.jpg

Next is to paint radome, right fin LE and both fin tips to medium gray and design decal artwork...

Serkan

The paintwork looks great even without markings Serkan!...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, FlankerFreak said:

Very nice decals. I think Begemot has a demo flankers decal set including this aircraft.

That's true. I have "Demo Flankers" set both in 72 an 48 scales. But I still prefer to print own decals as much as possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1