Recommendations - rally cars

A_S

Hi all

firet time post. Getting back into building kits after a 15 year or so gap (although I did build some railway stuff In brass in between).

currently building some 1/24 late 90s Subaru’s having completes burnsies 2001 car.

one thing I noticed between the 2 kits is the better quality of some of the bits in the later kit. As I haven’t built a 1/24 rally car for a long time I guess those few years meant the later kit got more detail than the 98 car!

specifically I think the antenna/ Ariel is much better on the 2001 car and the pre chromed rally lights look much better than painting the lights x-11

has anyone got any suggestions on where I can get some more realistic ariels? 

also how best to paint the rally lights and headlights to get a similar chromed reflective effect?

Can't help with the aerial, but I would definitely recommend the Molotow Liquid Chrome for the headlights.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Molotow-Liquid-Chrome-Pump-Marker/dp/B01E7EFSVU

Personally, I find that the finish from the 1mm pen is better than the 2mm pen I also have, but that may just be me. If you get one, make sure you give it a good shake before use. Also, be aware that while it dries reasonably quickly, it takes a long time to fully harden (best to leave for a week at least if you can) and will still not be super tough. It might not quite match kit chrome for shininess, but it isn't far off and is a lot better than normal silver paint.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, A_S said:

has anyone got any suggestions on where I can get some more realistic ariels? 

I'm not familiar with the aerials on Subaru's rally cars but a lot of armour modellers use carbon fibre rods available from sellers like Accurate Armour which may give you one option and I suspect that car modellers are well served by after market manufactures who may give you other options.

Your local model railway shop will likely have a stash of Albion Alloys (or someone else’s) brass rod, strip, tube and sections. The thinner rod can make aerials, and the slightly thicker is very useful for making pins to give some strength back to parts that have broken... +1 for the Molotow pens here!

best,

M.

• Like 3