P-8 Poseidon choices?

keithjs

Is it possible to build an RAF Poseidon from any of the Hasegawa 1/200th US Navy versions please? If it's only a case of a few extra (or less) aerials that'll be OK. I was just wondering if there are any extra lumps and bumps? From looking at photos the only one that concerns me is the large one underneath? Thanks in advance.

Edited by keithjs
  • Like 1

You do know that Hasegawa did a 1/200 P-8, kit 10830, and Welsh Models did a 1/72 P-8, kit MT72-006, which is a vacform/resin kit. You might want to go to one of the aircraft photo websites and do a search for P-8 Poseidon- there are tons of closeup and detail photos that can help you. It is a very handsome beast, and for some reason looks totally different from the civil version it came from to me.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes I was aware of both of those thanks. In fact Hasegawa did 3 others in different unit markings. It was just that I was curious if there were any major differences between US Navy versions and RAF ones..? Thank you for your interest.

Edited by keithjs

42 minutes ago, keithjs said:

Hi Mike,

Yes I was aware of both of those thanks. In fact Hasegawa did 3 others in different unit markings. It was just that I was curious if there were any major differences between US Navy versions and RAF ones..? Thank you for your interest.

Hi Keith

No differences at all, the RAF's P-8As are identical to their US Navy counterparts,

14 minutes ago, Slater said:

Do they have the capability to refuel from US tankers?

Yes, although I don't know if our guys have been trained on inflight refuelling? I would assume they have?  It's about time we fitted booms to our voyagers, but meantime I'm sure the USAF can oblige if needed.

4 hours ago, Stealthman said:

Yes, although I don't know if our guys have been trained on inflight refuelling? I would assume they have?  It's about time we fitted booms to our voyagers, but meantime I'm sure the USAF can oblige if needed.

When the Nimrod fleet was retired the RAF embedded a number of aircrew with overseas Air Forces' MPA forces under the "Seedcorn MPA Project" programme to maintain a degree of maritime patrol experience which probably included air to air refuelling.

22 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

Other than that, you just need decals!

Which are available from the good people at Draw Decal

Edited by Richard E

9 hours ago, 72modeler said:

You do know that Hasegawa did a 1/200 P-8, kit 10830, and Welsh Models did a 1/72 P-8, kit MT72-006, which is a vacform/resin kit. You might want to go to one of the aircraft photo websites and do a search for P-8 Poseidon- there are tons of closeup and detail photos that can help you. It is a very handsome beast, and for some reason looks totally different from the civil version it came from to me.

Mike

That's what I get for reading your post too quickly- sorry!

Mike

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

That's what I get for reading your post too quickly- sorry!

Mike

No problem at all Mike...

8 hours ago, Richard E said:

When the Nimrod fleet was retired the RAF embedded a number of aircrew with overseas Air Forces' MPA forces under the "Seedcorn MPA Project" programme to maintain a degree of maritime patrol experience which probably included air to air refuelling.

Which are available from the good people at Draw Decal

Didn't know that...Just sent for a sheet of the 200th scale ones. Thanks for the info. Just need a cheap Hasegawa kit now......

9 hours ago, keithjs said:

Just need a cheap Hasegawa kit now......

Cheap and Hasegawa are mutually exclusive terms! (This is what happens when America wins a war- we agree to pay you tons of money and we buy all your stuff- ha!) 😜

Mike

• Haha 4

Don't forget that Scratchaeronutics have produced a 1/144 scale P8, and Draw have done decals for the RAF machines. And icing on the cake, Scratchaeronautics have done the E7 as well in readiness for the RAF aircraft.

John

14 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Cheap and Hasegawa are mutually exclusive terms! (This is what happens when America wins a war- we agree to pay you tons of money and we buy all your stuff- ha!) 😜

Mike

Didn't do too badly after all. Got one from PlazaJapan for £20 incl postage. What HMRC will sting me I don't know. Bit different to Hannants £37 anyhow... 

Edited by keithjs

On 2/4/2020 at 7:03 PM, magman2 said:

A refuelling probe, will be fitted at some point.  The RAF doesn’t  have the  the capability, to refuel them at the moment.

No it won't. With more and more RAF aircraft being delivered with boom receptacles it is increasingly likely that a boom will be fitted to the two-point Voyagers.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 7:03 PM, magman2 said:

A refuelling probe, will be fitted at some point.  The RAF doesn’t  have the  the capability, to refuel them at the moment.

Oops the UK sadly have bad form when retrospectively fitting refuel probs to MPA ..no doubt it will have fuel seals this time and not oil seals 😶

On 2/7/2020 at 1:11 PM, Truro Model Builder said:

No it won't. With more and more RAF aircraft being delivered with boom receptacles it is increasingly likely that a boom will be fitted to the two-point Voyagers.

Ah that'll be why Cobham was sold to an American asset strip he said cynically

• Haha 2

On 2/7/2020 at 1:11 PM, Truro Model Builder said:

Now that would be a good idea! Although I was a bit perplexed as to why we have 2 & 3 point tankers, why not make all of them 3 point????? Or has someone already had the idea of a boom on 2 pointers??

18 hours ago, Stealthman said:

Now that would be a good idea! Although I was a bit perplexed as to why we have 2 & 3 point tankers, why not make all of them 3 point????? Or has someone already had the idea of a boom on 2 pointers??

It saved some money. What else?

On 2/7/2020 at 4:11 PM, Truro Model Builder said:

Which RAF aircraft have been delivered or will be delivered with a boom receptacle? Apart from P-8 and Watchkeeper?

22 minutes ago, Sundowner14 said:

Which RAF aircraft have been delivered or will be delivered with a boom receptacle? Apart from P-8 and Watchkeeper?

E-3D AWACs Sentry had both styles of refuelling. The C-17 Globemaster has a boom receptacle.

Edited by Jabba

10 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

In total, the P-8A Poseidon, RC-135W Rivet Joint, C-17A Globemaster III and E-7A Wedgetail, none of which are or will be fitted for probe and drogue. That amounts to most of our surveillance fleet as well as our larger transports.

But probably not as fuel critical as the fast jet fleet. Either way, something will have to give and it will be whatever is the most cost effective way to gain the capability and maintain over long term. I cant see that there would be a financial advantage in retrofitting booms to the Voyager fleet, training 2 different types of crew skills and maintaining competency, servicing etc compared to retrofitting probes. 

However, having spent 30 years in the firm, I would not be surprised if the most illogical decision was taken and then changed at greater cost.  Canons on Eurofighter Typhoon, CATOBAR on HMS QE and POW ETC.