A-12 kits?

raptormodeller

I believe a company named Kiwi Resin Models made or plans to make a kit to convert the 1/48 scale Italieri SR-71 into an A-12.  Not sure if its currently available though (the only on line source I found lists it as not available).

2 hours ago, mdauben said:

I believe a company named Kiwi Resin Models made or plans to make a kit to convert the 1/48 scale Italieri SR-71 into an A-12.  Not sure if its currently available though (the only on line source I found lists it as not available).

Kiwi resin have gone out of business since last year. I believe the owner wanted to retire & tried to sell it but had no takers. I'd like to be shown to be mistaken though.

Steve.

• Sad 1

On 04/02/2020 at 08:33, raptormodeller said:

Are there any decent companies who make A-12 oxcart kits in 1/72 or 1/48? Italeri only make the Blackbird I believe. 

Hi,

Yes , the Italian company called  ITALAEREI,  now  ITALERI  has  both kits in 1/48, the SR-71 Blackbird

and  "The Thing"  YF-12 .

I believe You can find  "The Thing" in model contests, reunions, internet,

spacer.png 

Hope it helps

SouthViper

On 2/11/2020 at 6:08 AM, SouthViper said:

Hi,

Yes , the Italian company called  ITALAEREI,  now  ITALERI  has  both kits in 1/48, the SR-71 Blackbird

and  "The Thing"  YF-12 .

I believe You can find  "The Thing" in model contests, reunions, internet,

spacer.png 

Hope it helps

SouthViper

thanks

On 2/9/2020 at 10:30 PM, exdraken said:

Any nice comparison drawings out there?

I know cockpit is different and the A-12 is more slender??

No not many for obvious reasons but there are some very good pictures of it. It's smaller, triangular Radar absorbent structures extend around the whole airframe, chine included, unlike the blackbird where it's only the wing. Only one piece of meat in the cockpit instead of two. Once you know what to look for it's quite easy to spot the difference. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

the biggest indicator that you're looking at an SR and not an A12 and vice versa is the bulging chines and chunkier cockpit along with the 2nd seat. Size wise the blackbird is about 6 feet longer. This infographic shows the exaggerated differences:

spacer.png

note: A12 pilot frank murray says the speed and altitude advantage of the A12 is greater than people think and bigger than the difference stated in the infographic.

Edited by raptormodeller
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...