Bristol Beaufighter Conversion

Christopher Ellul

Hi all,

Am in the research stage for my next project, which is going to be a Beaufighter,  Now the one I have is a TFX, which was mainly used for torpedo bombing.  I would like to convert it to a MK1, which was used for PRU, mainly by 'Warby'.  Since I am going to be building in 1/72 scale, I would like to know if there are any significant (external) changes that I need to take care of in order to convert a TFX to Mk.1.

TIA

Off the top of my head: the tailplanes are flat, no rear gun, different exhausts, different collector ring, different wheels. I think the cockpit canopy is different too.

If you're using the Airfix kit, the rear glazing is included. This covers most of the rest: https://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/early-beaufighter-mkivi-conversion-6526-p.asp

Edited by Beard
to insert 'the' between think and cockpit.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Beard said:

Off the top of my head: the tailplanes are flat, no rear gun, different exhausts, different collector ring, different wheels. I think cockpit canopy is different too.

If you're using the Airfix kit, the rear glazing is included. This covers most of the rest: https://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/early-beaufighter-mkivi-conversion-6526-p.asp

Hi, thank you very much for the information provided, really appreciate it :).  Yes the TFX is Airfix

• Like 1

If the kit you are using has the thimble nose radome, you will need to remove it for a Mk 1...IIRC the first boxing of the new-tool Airfix TFX had the plain nose. Other than that, what Beard has provided sounds correct.

Mike

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure just what parts you are cutting out, but the tailplanes are larger on the dihedral variant in order to give the same area in plan view (I'm not sure if this was true for the early aircraft with dihedral).  So simply changing the angle would leave you with too great a span.

11 hours ago, 72modeler said:

If the kit you are using has the thimble nose radome, you will need to remove it for a Mk 1...IIRC the first boxing of the new-tool Airfix TFX had the plain nose. Other than that, what Beard has provided sounds correct.

Mike

The thimble nose on Airfix's Beau TF.10 is a separate part, as is the nose on their TF.X.

Chris

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, AWFK10 said:

The engine cowlings on the Mk I lack the little bulges to accommodate the rocker arms - see Image 4 here. They'ld be easy enough to sand off.

Not rocker arms because of course the Beaufighter had Hercules sleeve valve engines but certainly clearance for something, maybe plug leads or whatever, that was found necessary on later versions.

Steve.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wm Blecky said:

Would not the Hasegawa Beaufighter Mk.I (if you can track one down) kit be a more easy start to your project?

Sure, in fact I am seriously considering doing the TFX as is and shelving the Warby project for now, yet many here have been very supportive and provided good info as to how convert it....so a bit of a dilemma right now whether to go for it or no...

• Like 1

I came across this Beaufighter Mk.I on eBay, as well as this one.  Both sellers are in the U.S.  The first seller appears to offer the better price overall, plus he is open to offers.

FWIW, I also have a Hasegawa Mk.I that I probably will not get around to anytime soon.  If either of the above do not pan out for you, PM me and we can look at working something out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Hobby 2000 and MPM kits of the Beaufighter is the Hasegawa one, with all the parts for all the version of the plane. Just different camouflage and decals.

And perhaps cheaper than a original Hasegawa

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

The Hobby 2000 and MPM kits of the Beaufighter is the Hasegawa one, with all the parts for all the version of the plane. Just different camouflage and decals.

And perhaps cheaper than a original Hasegawa

A little cheaper, depending upon where you can find one. Hasegawa did three versions:  Mk1, Mk VI, and the TFX, but if memory serves, they have never been re-released by them. . Looks like Hasegawa Beaus are going for between 18-37 BPS on that well-known auction site, less shipping, and they are listed for 26.99 BPS for each of the three variants at the Lowestoft hobby distributor address we all know and love. The new-tool Airfix Beaus are better kits, but they only did a TFX with and without the thimble nose, not the Mk 1 or Mk VI.

Mike

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

A little cheaper, depending upon where you can find one. Hasegawa did three versions:  Mk1, Mk VI, and the TFX, but if memory serves, they have never been re-released by them. . Looks like Hasegawa Beaus are going for between 18-37 BPS on that well-known auction site, less shipping, and they are listed for 26.99 BPS for each of the three variants at the Lowestoft hobby distributor address we all know and love. The new-tool Airfix Beaus are better kits, but they only did a TFX with and without the thimble nose, not the Mk 1 or Mk VI.

Mike

They actually did 4.

28541494048_846cb46a7c_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

They actually did 4.

Blast- forgot all about the Mk 21...you ARE good, Chris! No wonder I never saw one- it's a Special Edition, which in Hasegawa-speak means slap a new set of decals in the box and double the asking price!

Mike

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Blast- forgot all about the Mk 21...you ARE good, Chris! No wonder I never saw one- it's a Special Edition, which in Hasegawa-speak means slap a new set of decals in the box and double the asking price!

Mike

Not exactly; it does have the bulge on the nose for the never-fitted Sperry autopilot. It also has the longer intakes on top of the cowlings. I'm working on one right now, thanks to Chris (that Mk.21 in his piccie wound up in my hands, thank you very much, Chris!).

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Not exactly; it does have the bulge on the nose for the never-fitted Sperry autopilot. It also has the longer intakes on top of the cowlings. I'm working on one right now, thanks to Chris (that Mk.21 in his piccie wound up in my hands, thank you very much, Chris!).

Regards,

Jason

Then where are the pictures for the WIP? 

Chris

• Like 2