The Alternative Nimrod

Max Headroom

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

How about a door that slides up along the outside of the fuselage like a B-24 ? 

I thought about that but I’m hoping not. From a realistic 😂 point of view, there wouldn’t be anywhere for the concertina doors to store when the bay is open.

Trevor

• Like 1

Despite no updates for a few days I haven’t Forgotten about it (or you, dear reader).

I have mainly been tidying up the paintwork, in large due to the cruddy LAG. I see Xtracrylics does it too, so next time I order something from Big H, I will order some.

I will shortly be jazzing up those bomb bay doors, doing the torpedoes and extra fuel tankage.

More soon!

Trevor

So a little while later I’m now at the part where I mask off those bits I’ve decided will be black, namely de icer leading edges and the radar. I know that for the majority of it’s life, the real Nimrod didn’t have a separately painted radome and never had de icer boots at all, but I decided to have both in order to give it a bit more interest. Let’s see how it turns out!

50053606558_6ed4a192cb_b.jpg

50054185321_d4c079c6ba_b.jpg

I see the photos are far less forgiving of my paint job than my unaided eye, but I ran out of rattlecan white after one coat. Curses.

Never mind 😒

Trevor

• Like 3

Ok then, I’ve painted the black bits and (inevitably) tidying up is necessary but I’m in the ballpark of how I want it to look.

50055791916_445f8cca66_b.jpg

50055791851_a58aea1969_b.jpg

50055792021_567860d6fb_b.jpg

50055896776_72f45d3881_b.jpg

Overall, not bad (as long as you don’t look too closely😆)

S l o w l y getting there.

Trevor

• Like 4

Hello again.

As threatened, my attentions have now turned to the bomb bay. It was always my intention to give it a load (why open the doors otherwise?!). I had decided on three  MK.46 torpedoes and an auxiliary fuel tank. The torpedoes were easy enough as I had plenty of runners of the right width and all that was needed was to cut them to a scale 4’6””. The fuel tank was another matter and I had to rummage through my spares box. In the end I think what I chose was half a long range drop tank from a Fujimi 1/48 Mustang. As an added bonus, it has raised lines going around the circumference and this would give it some interest. I can pick these out in a contrasting colour to the tank (dunno yet).   I chopped it just fore and aft of the raised line and will blank the front and back later. I might even ‘plumb’ it into a length of plastic rod I’ve inserted along the bomb bay roof. The 46’s need a bit of shaping at the back end but that shouldn’t take too long. I will glue affixing tabs on one side, firstly to give me something to hold onto as I paint them and once painted and trimmed back, these will act as locating lugs for flying into the bomb bay roof.

A quick and dirty dry run using blue tack for fixing.

50061995401_50bc198417_b.jpg

This is the overall effect I’m looking for...

http://www.militaryplanes.co.uk/aircraft photos/nimrod/nimrod5.jpg

On the starboard wing of the model, you can see something between the two engines. This is my mock-up of a Leigh Light type installation which could be found on P-3A’s. This is actually a SNEB pod from a 70’s vintage Airfix kit of undetermined parentage. Dunno yet, but I may try affixing it to the miscellaneous housing I plonked in the central position between the bomb bays. I think I need to check the ground clearance first. I’ll see.......

Thats all for now! Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very nice work on this Trevor, I was wondering if that was a light. I think it looks better on the wing but its your build.

Thanks! I’ll probably stay with the wing installation as it looks ‘real’ 😂

After the photo was taken, I tried the main landing gear and it’s going to be a fiddle. I think I’ll need to give this a branestorm 🤪

Trevor

Just a short update for now.

Q. What is drafter than modelling a MK.46 torpedo from scratch in 1/144?

50064588383_c2eef9f458_b.jpg

A. Doing it three times🤪

50065147341_0bacb410e1_b.jpg

The prop shroud (?) at the back is a piece of cut plastic tube and the fins are from 5 thou stock. I know there should be four, but the missing one will be hidden.

I may be insane, but I’m not daft.

I will now attach a mount on the hidden sides, firstly so that I have something to grip to and then, once cut back, as an anchor point.

Surprisingly that lot took only 20 minutes as the carpet monster wasn’t hungry.

Here is a web page on the torpedo that I used as a reference 

https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/weaps/mk-46.htm

This is no good for my eyesight you know 🤨

Trevor

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Twenty minutes? Go on, knock out another trio. You're obviously on a roll. 

That rear bomb bay door is remaining firmly shut!

Trevor

• Haha 2

I had got to the point that I was near to putting on the stickies, my favourite bit especially as in this case it was all whiffery.

Sometimes though the modelling gods decide to stick in their size 10’s and ensure that you have to fight in order to get this thing over the line. This has now happened to me and I have the metaphorical bruise to prove the point.

Although I had used my polishing cloths to get a slight sheen on the paint job, I had decided that I needed a proper gloss finish first. Turning to my trusty rattlecans,  I saw that I had run out of Tamiya’s acrylic gloss varnish. However I did have Humbrol’s gloss enamel varnish. Ok o thought, I’ll use that instead.

[insert naughty words that will earn me a permanent ban here].

50079886648_1bb7ddefaf_b.jpg

What the actual?

I now have what I can only describe as yellow ‘blobs’ on the fuselage roof (and elsewhere). What’s that all about? Does anyone else have this problem? Not only do I have these marks, 24 hours later the varnish is still tacky.

I am now left with no option other than to put this to one side for a few days not only to ensure that the varnish hardens, but then to gently abrade the offending blobs off, before then having to get the polishing pads out.

Again.

:dull:

NIL ILLEGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM 

Trevor the fed up at the moment

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

And it was coming along so well!. It looks to me like the clear has run and caused the yellow blobs. You may have to cut them off when dry and then wet sand. :sad:

My thoughts exactly.

may get into Chester for the first time since the end of February and engineer a visit to the Chester Model Centre on the Rows. I need to stock up on several paints and varnishes. Tamiya’s rattlecans are high on the list!

Trevor  

• Like 2

The woes continue.

The varnish doesn’t really like being sanded lightly, leaving me no alternative other than to put some elbow grease towards it. That Humbrol enamel varnish is vile and I’ve decided that I’ll not only rub off the horrid blobs, but will carry on and try and remove as much of the varnish as possible. Of course this means that the surface finish now resembles a dog’s dinner. I won’t be going back to bare plastic (that would be seriously depressing), but will get to the point that what’s left will be a good key for a new paint job.

50086073693_44c5cebac0_b.jpg

50086658216_246be072e6_b.jpg

50086658326_6299666b3b_b.jpg

Gutted.

I’ll continue the process of sanding back and then put the darned thing away for several weeks whilst I summon the will and energy to continue with the thing.

Serious mojo mangler and tbh I don’t feel on the mood to hop to another. The Sea Balliol, you may have noticed, had been put to one side whilst I concentrated on what I thought was going to be a fairly simple process.

The only plastic I see myself fettling any time soon is the Defiant for the BoB Group Build.

Trevor

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

darned thing away for several weeks whilst I summon the will and energy to continue

I don't blame you. It's a shame, and very disheartening when they go like this. I hope you enjoy the Defiant build at least.

• Thanks 1

Well that's a bummer :( looks like some of it rolled round the sides and underneath when you sprayed the underside?  I never trust Humbrol anything these days after hearing lots of horror stories over the years, some before production came back to the UK, some after.  I'll never forget receiving some acrylics to review and finding they had the consistency of porrige and hardly reacted to being thinned at all.  I couldn't even get the stuff through a .35 needle, so the lot went in the bin and the review was never done.  I get little enough modelling time to waste it with crappy paints, so I just ignore them these days :shrug:

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Pete in Lincs and @Mike

I was doubly cursed here. Humbrol enamel varnish and Light Aircraft Grey. I have now phased out most of my enamel paints and am now almost exclusively using acrylic. The enamels I have left are mostly forgotten or are used for small stuff. I’m now used to acrylic paints drying in minutes, rather than waiting for enamels to cure overnight. 

Ah well, there is always someone having a worse time than me ‘sticking silly little bits of plastic together’ *

Trevor

* (c) Mrs Headroom

• Haha 1

I changed over about five or so years ago. It is a very different experience. So much easier to use for one.

I also still have some enamels. Mostly the Humbrol Authentic colours.

BTW, I stick clever little bits of plastic together. With scratchbuilding they weren't meant to be mated, but they get on so well!

• Like 1

Acrylics are certainly kinder on brushes too. A massage of the bristles with liquid soap and water after each use and stand up to dry upside down does wonders for the life of a brush.

Trevor

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Acrylics are certainly kinder on brushes too. A massage of the bristles with liquid soap and water after each use and stand up to dry upside down does wonders for the life of a brush.

Trevor

You should get yourself a pot of The Masters* Brush Cleaner & Preserver.  I bought mine off Amazon, and it's great stuff.  It's a bit like soap, but it seems to mobilise any type of paint off the brush after a few applications.  Swish the brush in water, dabble it on the surface of the pot, swoosh it, repeat as necessary.  It's good stuff :yes:

* Leonardo Da Vinci, Dr Who, evil cotton plantation owner... probably the first one, thinking about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Mike thanks for the tip. 👍🏻

I’m doing a stock take of ‘Colours I Need to Replace 🤬enamels‘ as a result of The Disaster, so am adding that to the list of purchases.

Trevor

• Like 1

I use Humbrol Enamels for the greater proportion of my builds but I never use Humbrol varnishes! I Not that it is of any consolation to you Trevor. Hope you get it sorted okay.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Thanks! I was using the Light Aircraft Grey and varnish as a try out before using it on my 1/48 Airfix Hunter- glad I didn’t use it now! I have an Airfix Harrier GR.1 that I was also going to paint using this ‘problem LAG but have found a nice wrap-around scheme instead. I have suitable stickies from the old ESCI kit sheet.

Trevor