Recommendation for a very good RN battleship/cruiser

As above really, I have caught the bug from my Lexington and fancy something big and British with many guns.

I have not fully settled on scale with a sub in 350 and the Lex in 700 but I have a slight leaning towards the smaller scale.

The only other (and really the main) requirement is that it should be a really good kit. (Ideally think ship equivalents of the new Tamiya spitfire if possible).

Flyhawk's 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales ticks all of those boxes. I just started my one and it's an impressively detailed model, especially if you get the version with extra etch and brass gun barrels.

Regards,

Ross.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suppose a lot depends if you prefer waterline or full hull models in 1/700.

There are some nice (but old) waterline kits by Tamiya of the KGV and Nelson classes plus the battlecruiser Repulse. Aoshima have recently done County Class and Exeter heavy cruisers.

Full hull leaves you with few options in 1/700 but Trumpeter's range is probably the first place you should look for RN WW2 stuff.

However - in this scale there's really not much of the 'Tamiya Spitfire' quality you're looking for in British subjects, unless Flyhawk have a few more RN battleships up their sleeve... 

• Thanks 1

Thank you to all of you.

Having looked in to the suggestions (and finding the thread below)I am thinking of going for the Flyhawk Prince of Wales first, the amount you get in the box for £35 is simply insane.

That said the Meng HMS Rodney looks amazing so won't be much further down my list of kits to build.

• Like 1

Be aware that as awesome as the Flyhawk Prince of Wales is, there is a LOT of building in a Flyhawk kit. In keeping with the Tamiya Spitfire analogy - the Flyhawk isn't an easy build. It's very well engineered and everything fits perfectly, but there is just so much of it and so many very small parts. A Tamiya Spitfire just kinda happens over a weekend, so I personally wouldn't liken the Flyhawk kit to that - but it really depends on your appetite - and that's just the basic kit. Go for the delux and you've really gone and done it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for that, the confirmation is really good to hear.

To be honest any sort aircraft analogy by me was some way off the mark, what I really meant was a well engineered and detailed kit.

The thing I am really enjoying with my Lexington is the small fiddly bits of PE and I really fancy taking it to the next level (which it sounds like this is!) with the best kit I can get.

I am resigned to the fact that being either my second or third ship (I have a little corvette waiting for a build), that it will not be the best finished kit out there but it will be the best I have built and more importantly, a good few weeks of fun popping it all together!