1/72 Airfix Hawker Typhoon

Isak

Hi all.

Wanted to show off my latest build, a Hawker Typhoon from Airfix. The kit was really nice with nice detail and went together fast with no problems, except its tiny size. After some consultancy from my kids, the chosen scheme was this pretty cool looking and colorful shark mouth from 245 Squadron, 2nd Tactical Air Force based in Germany and RAF Warmwell, Dorset in June.August 1945. If anyone know anything interesting about this aircraft, please share.

The kit was painted with Mission Models acrylic throughout, and they worked really well. I used the black primer as a base for black-basing, added some salt weathering, a RLM66 wash and some Tamiya weathering powders.

Hope you enjoy, and please don't hesitate to give some constructive feedback.

Regards,

Isak

DSC_0022 DSC_0021 DSC_0020 DSC_0019 DSC_0015 DSC_0014 DSC_0013 DSC_0011 DSC_0005 DSC_0003 DSC_0033 DSC_0032 DSC_0030 DSC_0028 DSC_0027 DSC_0026 DSC_0024 DSC_0021

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Definitely a most aggressive-looking Typhoon - gotta be the shark teeth!

Very nice job.

I have built Academy's 1/72 kit, but somehow your Airfix build captures the look much better.

👍👍

• Thanks 1

On 03/02/2020 at 23:48, dogsbody said:

That looks great. The pictures are a little dark, though.

Chris

I'd recommend getting a simple (and fairly cheap) LED photo light box. Modelling of this quality is worthy of it! 

It's an excellent birthday/christmas present for all those loved ones who keep pestering you for what you want 😉

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Isak said:

Yeah @Hairtrigger, I'm definately not a photographer, and natural daylight is a rare commodity after office hours here at 64 degrees north at this time of year. 

Any good advice regarding photographing models is appreciated. 

Isak 

The later ones much better.  

I shouldn't criticise, as only ever use my camera phone.  I have a good digital camera and never use it for my models. 

On 2/3/2020 at 3:48 PM, dogsbody said:

That looks great. The pictures are a little dark, though.

Chris

Agree with Chris, which might be why I'm having a hard time picking up the salt weathering.

Regardless, it's a great build and those decals laid down very nicely!

Cheers,

Mark

On 2/4/2020 at 9:02 PM, Isak said:

Yeah @Hairtrigger, I'm definately not a photographer, and natural daylight is a rare commodity after office hours here at 64 degrees north at this time of year. 

Any good advice regarding photographing models is appreciated. 

Isak 

Hi Isak, 

Good job on the model! Well done! Great subject too. :)

As for photography, from my very limited experience, I never photograph in daylight to start with. I use a standard DSLR camera with flash turned on and a secondary light source (a desk lamp) which is a must so you avoid sharp and dark shadows as well as high contrast. Some people even use two "pilot lights" as they call them. For this, a standard warm light bulb is usually used (2500-3000K), regular stuff. Use them to illuminate you model from different angles and experiment with it. 

I learned this from a friend who is a pro photographer. Obviously, their equipment is way too advanced and unnecessary for us, so I simplified it to what I said above. :)

Hope this helps a bit. 

Best, 

Nikola

Edited by Nikola Topalov