G-8 'anti-gravity' Cargo Pod

Another sci-fi build. Seem to be doing a lot of those these days. I have one more to do than I will be back to building the usual truck and 1/35 builds. I had been working on this for some weeks now and have gotten it to this point. The majority of the work is a combination of scratch building, and some kit-bashing. I pretty much used whatever and anything that was in my arsenal. Lots of small bits and pieces went into making this, a somewhat, believable sci-fi transport. I still have a little more work to do on the wagon behind the driver's compartment before calling it done. Thanks to Shane Bradley for coming up with the name for this build.. Again, my pic taking is not the best. Sorry for the quality of the pics.

The G-8 Cargo 'anti-gravity pod. This is a small low level cargo vehicle. One that conveys smaller goods and mechanical items around a major industrial factory. Basically indoors chore with a mega huge space. But it can be used outside to convey goods between two complex.

g8_cargo_pod8_niceone-vi.jpg

g_8_cargo_pod11-vi.jpg

g8_cargo_pod-vi.jpg

g8_cargo_pod2a-vi.jpg

g8_cargo_pod3-vi.jpg

g8_cargo_pod4-vi.jpg

g8_cargo_pod5-vi.jpg

g8_cargo_pod6-vi.jpg

g8_cargo_pod8-vi.jpg

g8_cargo_pod9-vi.jpg

phct_details_2-vi.jpg

phct_details_4a-vi.jpg

phct_details_5-vi.jpg

g_8_cargo_pod7-vi.jpg

• Like 28

Damn it! Now I want one! Fabulous. If you print ten a day you might keep up with demand. 

Would it look good with some graffiti on the pod or a reference number, 5/24 for example or even something from the Star Wars alphabet.

Keep them coming! Regards, Pete

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Damn it! Now I want one! Fabulous. If you print ten a day you might keep up with demand. 

Would it look good with some graffiti on the pod or a reference number, 5/24 for example or even something from the Star Wars alphabet.

Keep them coming! Regards, Pete

Thanks for your suggestions. I may just have to do it. Going to look through my decal collection, and see what I can come up with for decals. I would love to make copies of most of my sci-fi builds, but have do not have the know-how.

• Like 1

Nifty! Definitely channeling some of much-missed Syd Mead's influence there. Especially that skinny upright cab. I really like the industrial detailing like the cylinder inside the door, and the layered reveals in the door frame.

One thing I noticed on this build and your Vespa - it looks like you're sponging on the rust/chipping, is that right? There are a few spots where it seems like the rust has stopped at the edge of a panel, e.g. on the lower windscreen surround on the final pic. I tend to get this when I use a sponge and find it helps to touch up with a brush afterwards to wrap a few of the bigger patches around the corners. IMO it looks more 3D that way. Apologies in advance for giving unsought advice!

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

Very neat - that wouldn't look out of place on the set of Bladerunner

Mmmmmm! Another good point. Thanks.

40 minutes ago, Will Vale said:

Nifty! Definitely channeling some of much-missed Syd Mead's influence there. Especially that skinny upright cab. I really like the industrial detailing like the cylinder inside the door, and the layered reveals in the door frame.

One thing I noticed on this build and your Vespa - it looks like you're sponging on the rust/chipping, is that right? There are a few spots where it seems like the rust has stopped at the edge of a panel, e.g. on the lower windscreen surround on the final pic. I tend to get this when I use a sponge and find it helps to touch up with a brush afterwards to wrap a few of the bigger patches around the corners. IMO it looks more 3D that way. Apologies in advance for giving unsought advice!

Cheers,

Will

Hi Will. Thank you. Yeah, I do a mix of sponge and scrap marks with a toothpick or with the end of the blade. Thanks for pointing it out. I must have missed that spot. Glad you liked it.

Great work and quite interesting. :thumbsup:... Might I suggest something though ? When its parked or non operational what does it rest on ? I would have added landing pads or maybe small skids so nothing on the bottom is damaged when its parked or down for maintenance. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great work and quite interesting. :thumbsup:... Might I suggest something though ? When its parked or non operational what does it rest on ? I would have added landing pads or maybe small skids so nothing on the bottom is damaged when its parked or down for maintenance. 

Yeah. I just say, it stays in hover mode, just like the land speeder. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Andy Moore said:

That's an incredible build. As Will mentioned, it's definitely got a Syd Mead vibe to. Any plans to add lighting to it? It would look great with a flashing LED in the beacon.

Andy:cat:

Hi Andy. It would look great but my issue is electronics. I'm terrible and thus lack experience and lust to start fibbling witj something I have to business fibbling with... :) But if I was to even start to think installing lights, how and where will I start, especially when it is already built??? :(

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
18 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I'd almost forgotten the cargo pod build, It's nice to see it again. The gantry looks great. Impressive stuff.

Thank you kindly, Pete.

3 hours ago, The Chief Smeg said:

The pod was always a nice looking scratch build, but that gantry just takes things to another level - cracking little build there.

Appeciate it. Glad you approve.

2 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Amazing and inspirational work mate 👌🏽

Thank you Tony.

• Like 1