Jo Han Maverick-Dyno Don's Ride-Throttle Linkage Continued-12/17

I haven't done a race car in I don't know how long but I've had this Jo-Han Maverick in my stash for a couple of years and wanted to build it but didn't know what theme I was going with until I saw Don Nicholson's ride. I knew right away that I HAD to build it....and so.....along with my re-intro here I'll give this my best shot.

The kit (I bought this kit a couple of years back for $50......you don't EVEN want to know what it goes for these days....WOW!!) 

spacer.png

The Subject:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Big engine, short wheelbase, Hmmmm Could be a handful! What a brute. I liked those old Johan kits, too pricey nowadays, wish I hadn't sold mine.

I hear you and thanks for the comment Pete. There is a way around the Jo Han offerings but it pays to use a different chassis as I'm doing with this one. For instance, instead of paying the $300 that this kit is going for, there are resin offerings and you can use the AMT 67 Fastback Mustang kit chassis to make it all work. The Mustang chassis is a plus because I just can't put the Jo Han one piece chassis under and feel good about it. Furthermore it wont work with what I've got in mind in the reference pictures anyhow.

• Like 1

The chassis has undergone extensive modification in the last couple of weeks. Initially I was headed in a direction with the rear suspension that just wasn't looking right but have since made some changes. First off the front subframe area was shortened by 5/16 of an inch which looked ok but I had to acquire another Mustang kit in order to cut the rear frame rails from it to use in bringing both frame rails further inside to allow those rear slicks to further UNDER the car like the reference shot.

Before:

spacer.png

And after repositioning the rear frame rails:

spacer.png

These are not the tires that I'll be using but they are as wide as the ones that I've got coming for it. I've merely got this pictured as a comparison to what was.....and what now IS. 

Before-Just hanging out of the rear fenderwell WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too far: 

spacer.png

After chassis mods:

spacer.png

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, JeroenS said:

$300?? Wow... What is it that makes the kit so special? Just the rarity?

That's it. Believe me …..this kit is NOTHING special. A glorified promo model is about all it is. BUT.....there aint that many Maverick kits out there so in that right it is really rare.

• Like 2

I've been haggling over the tires for the last couple of days and after conversing with Ted Bowe from Ted's Modeling Marketplace back and forth through emails, going through photo shots and doing ALOT of measuring and head scratching I've come up with a new set of slicks that I'm going to use for this thing. Additionally I was concerned with how the front ride height was going to be but once I test fitted everything into place...…….it pretty much fell into place. I might go just a tad lower in the front but I'm pretty happy that I don't have to do much here as this has been quite the gaggle in the way of mods on this car. This is the way this car is going to look now and it seems like it's a lot closer to the reference photos that I have of this car. Now I've just gotta score a Goodyear decal sheet to put the scripts onto the tires.

Reference shot: 

spacer.png

Updated parts and stance--a FAR cry from the way it was.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

BTW.....did I mention that I found a set of aluminum slots for it?? Yeah.....those are on the way to me from Canada:

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

OK guys. It's been a while since I've posted any progress. Aluminum wheels aint gonna work on this one. Too small but that'll be ok. I've got another use for em on another Maverick.

Started on the 427 SOHC engine this week:

spacer.png

After getting a few more bits on. Oil filter, starter, bellhousing and transmission have all been painted up and installed. Working on the intake area of the build now which is where all the details are going to be. Stuff like ignition wiring, throttle linkage, fuel lines and all the mumbo jumbo stuff that goes in there....

All test fitted together with a set of carbs that I have in the stash. Proper Dominators will go on top when I get 'em in the mail....

spacer.png

spacer.png

and for test fitting the engine into the frame to check out header options, header to frame clearances and general fit..... so I don't damage or mess up any of the details that I'm building here I've got another 427 that came in a glue bomb Maverick that I got in the mail that's undergoing a restoration/ transformation.

spacer.png

• Like 8

Ok. No dice on the aluminum wheels. Just wouldn't fit these tires BUT....I do have another Maverick in the works that they should work great with. I managed to get the wheels I am going to use coated in Molotow and the tires all decaled and completed. I didn't use the front wheels with the Molotow on them in the following pictures because this stuff has a minimum cure out of 48 hours. The rears I could handle somewhat because of the dish in the wheels but here's where we're at right now with the wheels/ tires.

spacer.png

spacer.png

and then I found my headers that are going to give me the perfect clearance. I just cut the flanges off of them and modified the header extensions on the Jo-Han headers to match up with the headers and we're all set. Another major hurdle of this build overcome.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

I didn't like the interior much on this kit. For one....I cannot STAND molded in foot pedals and I don't care for the ejector pin marks in all four corners of the flooring either. And they are like in painfully obvious and highly visible places. It's not "correct" but I had to modify the rear of the interior to move those slicks further inboard so they don't protrude outside of the rear fenders all crazy looking. I also had to modify the rear of the chassis alot (which I am still working on) for the same reason. Secondly, this kit is severely lacking in detail so I'm hoping to improve on that as time goes along here.
A shot showing the OOB molded in pedals and flooring.

spacer.png

another shot showing the interior mods a little clearer:(as well as those nasty ejector pin marks):

spacer.png

We start the mod process by sawing off the foot board/ lower firewall area of the interior:

spacer.png

and then after the new Evergreen floor and lower firewall area were cut to fit and moved into place. There....much better.

spacer.png

• Like 3

15 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Already an improvement. Those doors don't look too hot either!

I know right?? I'll be addressing that issue as well. Whole thing needed a make over but hey.....it's at least a Maverick kit....right? lol

Well gang....progress FINALLY. I've been hard at work on this bad boy and have not posted anything due to trying to hit the bench a little harder. Here she is in the primer stage:

spacer.png

and after I let that all dry out I hit it with color (Tamiya Pure Red dispensed from the can and shot through the AB) the next day. Didn't have to do ANY sanding to the primer coat.

spacer.png

A couple of mock ups once the color coat had dried....couldn't help myself but to do this but have to admit that Mavericks look a little out of the ordinary in red:

spacer.png

Was able to tuck the rear tires a little further inward as well. Still gotta raise the front of the car a smidgen and bring those front tires outward a little. I'll get there......

spacer.png

• Like 5

Got the R/H side decaled up today. This......was a JOB!!! I've still got to paint the roof white. Trying to get this as close to what I want in the picture as possible. Decal wise it aint gonna be exact....but I'll try to get 'er close.

spacer.png

• Like 3

That does look like quite a bit of decalling on there, not surprised it took a long time. I suppose the one saving grace would be that none of them look too big apart from the white swoosh but still it looks like quite a bit of work well done.

Looking really good - I've always thought the Maverick was underrated.

I remember coming across a restoration shop in Brazil that seemed to specialize in them as they were really popular there - https://www.pastorecc.com.br/busca?search=maverick

Liked this one in particular:

bg_zFMUR7hsG751pu5MWPcP.jpeg

Also, are you airbrushing the Molotow for the chrome?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/29/2020 at 5:06 PM, gt6mkiii said:

Looking really good - I've always thought the Maverick was underrated.

I remember coming across a restoration shop in Brazil that seemed to specialize in them as they were really popular there - https://www.pastorecc.com.br/busca?search=maverick

Also, are you airbrushing the Molotow for the chrome?

I'm using Bare Metal Foil for all chrome trim and the wheels got the Molotow through the airbrush treatment. I really like how that stuff looks when sprayed.

After a quick mock up:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I decided that it was time for a few corrections. First off.....the white edges of the decals above the wheel openings were jagged as they over lapped the wheel opening edges a little and I got too sloppy with trying to trim it back.

So.….I masked off and painted the affected areas white to correct that.

spacer.png

Then I didn't look at my references close enough to see that the roof is painted white......NOT red. So.....I had to mask off and paint the roof white. After that came some wet sanding to smooth everything out, the application of the orange stripped decals and then a coat of gloss after that. After a LOT of wet sanding and smoothing I was able to apply a gloss coat over the roof and again wet sanded and finally …..polished.

There....roof's all white now...

spacer.png

• Like 7

This build has been going a lot slower than a lot of my other ones just because of parts....and the money to get them. Used to I would buy everything I needed BEFORE a build. Now I'm having to spread everything out as I can afford it. Things are slowly coming together now. Sometimes it's a "one step forward and two steps backwards" gig. Like today for instance, I saw that one of the rear wheels that I shot with Molotow has cracking in the chrome finish. Dunno what happened there as the other rear wheel is ok. Guess it's a bath in oven cleaner and a re-shoot for that one though. The other thing that I've noticed was the rear bumper. There are two HUGE sink marks on the outside of the bumper where the two mounting tabs are located on the inside of the bumper. Looks like that's gonna get stripped and some body work is coming down the pike. One thing after another with this kit...………...BUT......that's modeling.

The other thing that has been hampering me is myself. Like....forgetting to paint the roof white for instance. After the clear cured out it left a rough surface and I've spent the last few days wet sanding it out and polishing it back to the smooth finish that I had to start with when I first took photos of the corrected roof. And just yesterday I saw where I forgot to paint the tail light panel black. No biggie....just masked off and shot it semi gloss black this morning and it turned out ok.

Updated Mock up shots:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5