Jo Han Maverick-Dyno Don's Ride-Throttle Linkage Continued-12/17

You have done excellent work and must have fine references. I'll add this one but you may have it:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0112-121252/1970-ford-maverick/

After several owners I figured the car was restored with non-original parts. But this says no, only modified to make legal for track use now. So probably the cage and fuel lines and fittings.

But I had questioned some things that made me look. Almost never see tubular intakes painted or coated black - they retain heat. All I've seen are cast ally (in the day) or modern fabricated and tigged ally (Hogans). Also, most SOHC's had valve covers that were beveled on one edge - this does not and it shows in the link pix.

Those Holley 4500's by Future are excellent for such small scale and your treatment is just race-right.

Great job - keep going.

• Like 2

Great detailing.  I can't work with fiddly parts like that, even with magnification, so I take my hat off to you.  😎

I think the valve covers from the Monogram T'rantula SOHC are about the best you can find in a kit.   All of the AMT and MPC ones are too long and thin with clunky detail; the ones from the old IMC '48 Ford are poor, as are those in the Revell gasser kits.  These Johan ones have the right kind of proportions, but they made them symmetrical so the plug locations on the passenger side cover are way off, and they have the inside edges scalloped instead of straight.   😐

• Like 1

Codger: Thank you for the reference link. Yes..that's the site that started it all for this build. I found that thread while looking for the car I wanted to build a few months before I started work on this kit. Outside of a few minor details this really is one of the best examples of a SOHC engine out there aside from the Monogram T'rantula offering.  Thanks for tagging along and for your comments bud.

Six97s: Thanks for your comments as well. I started out building this as a 429 Boss car but found out soon that it had the SOHC. By then I already had too much money wrapped up into the build to go and buy another kit for the engine. spacer.png I do thank you for the input next time I build an SOHC car though.

So far it looks like everything is going to work out. This is EXACTLY the look I was going for. Just gotta get the inner fender/ shock tower assemblies installed and then tweak that engine up just a tad in the back to make it look a little more normal and then we're headed homeward with this build. On the home stretch now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

• mustang1989 changed the title to Jo Han Maverick-Dyno Don's Ride-On the Home Stretch-12/09

Mustang - (change your name to ;Maverick !) you have absolutely nailed the car's look as it sits today. Dyno would be pleased. Can't say more than that as praise.

Being a race-tech geek, I have one concern however. Haven't looked at NHRA rule book from the day but I'm not sure the rear tires should exceed the bodywork. The 1:1 pix look like the tire shoulder is right there. I think if I were fortunate to build the model as well as you, I would narrow the rear end so the tires are level with the body edge.

Forgive me being a nit picker  :mental: - but it takes nothing away from the character you've built into a great model.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Codger said:

Mustang - (change your name to ;Maverick !) you have absolutely nailed the car's look as it sits today. Dyno would be pleased. Can't say more than that as praise.

Being a race-tech geek, I have one concern however. Haven't looked at NHRA rule book from the day but I'm not sure the rear tires should exceed the bodywork. The 1:1 pix look like the tire shoulder is right there. I think if I were fortunate to build the model as well as you, I would narrow the rear end so the tires are level with the body edge.

Forgive me being a nit picker  :mental: - but it takes nothing away from the character you've built into a great model.

I can't thank you enough for not only your very kind comments but your input as well Codger. I've wrestled with the rear end narrowing vs. the constraints of the back part of the interior tub in regards to the rear wheel clearance. The rear tires are actually hitting the inside of the interior before they come anywhere near the leaf springs. I may have another trick up my sleeve yet though as they are not on there permanently. 

10 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

. The rear tires are actually hitting the inside of the interior before they come anywhere near the leaf springs. I may have another trick up my sleeve yet though as they are not on there permanently. 

I'd caution you not to dismantle and hack the beautiful work you already did. The car looks great and I'm being far too anal.

For your next drag legend car, mock-up like crazy 'cause kit manufacturers seldom pay attention to their subjects and are never expert on what's right or wrong...

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Codger said:

I'd caution you not to dismantle and hack the beautiful work you already did. The car looks great and I'm being far too anal.

For your next drag legend car, mock-up like crazy 'cause kit manufacturers seldom pay attention to their subjects and are never expert on what's right or wrong...

Thanks Codger, you've got that right. Only this kit had to be totally revamped in order to build this particular car. I used the body, bare interior tub (which went through some rather extensive modification), driver seat, instrument panel and the engine. All the rest came from other kits.

13 hours ago, Toftdale said:

Whilst the original car may not be my cup of tea,  your model most certainly is!  I've been inspired by many of the little details in your build, keep up the good work - Andy

Thanks Andy. This particular car just grew on me. The first time I saw it , it looked a little out of proportion....and then.....I watched a short video on the car and once I heard it and saw it moving around it took on a new interest. It just looks and sounds sinister. Too bad I never saw this car race....would've been a sight to see.

The video: 

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Thanks Andy. This particular car just grew on me. The first time I saw it , it looked a little out of proportion....and then.....I watched a short video on the car and once I heard it and saw it moving around it took on a new interest. It just looks and sounds sinister. Too bad I never saw this car race....would've been a sight to see.

The video: 

If I won the lottery tomorrow,  it wouldn't be my first purchase.   However after watching the video I'm definitely warming to it 😄 

• Like 1

Just a little closer today but has taken alot of work to get this far. I had to redo the throttle linkage twice at the intake due to weird angles I had with the linkage set up. Got it all straightened out now. Also added a PE radiator cap for a little extra detail. I'm back to having to work with the hood just a tad to get it to close fully but it shouldn't be too big of a problem.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

• mustang1989 changed the title to Jo Han Maverick-Dyno Don's Ride-Throttle Linkage Complete-12/13
On 12/13/2020 at 7:10 AM, Toftdale said:

I wouldn't have a clue how close to real life the throttle linkage is.  But from an aesthetic and engineering viewpoint they look absolutely spot on.  Great details 👌 

Thanks for the comments bud. After looking at it again I felt the need to add the throttle return spring to top everything off.

There....much better....

spacer.png

• Like 6

• mustang1989 changed the title to Jo Han Maverick-Dyno Don's Ride-Throttle Linkage Continued-12/17