Airifx 1/72 Dakota - D-Day Doll

Hi There,

So, last year when the Dakotas were at Prestwick I took a run through on the Saturday with Innis and his pal on what turned out to be a particulary typical Scottish summer day.

1RsXNja.jpg

UwqFv7v.jpg

jsJNKlr.jpg

We were able to get on board D-Day Doll which for me was wonderful as I've always loved the Dakota but for the kids it was an incredible experience, especially when they were told by the crew of her history. D-Day, Market Garden, Bastogne and the Berlin Air Lift.

The crew were available to talk to and for questions and spent a lot of time with the kids making them feel really really special and for this they have my undying gratitude.

IGkfpsD.jpg

L80XYQV.jpg

Anyway as I had an Airfix Dakota MkIII in the house I went hunting for Decals for this Aircraft.

I knew that I didn't have the talent or skill to covert it to a C-53 but tried to give it the impression of one.

This build stalled over the Christmas and New Year period. I told myself it was because I was making sure that I was finishing the Turkish Spitfire in time but the truth was that getting the invasion stripes done was terrifying me.

So, no extra window on the port side and the rear door isn't right but I'm pleased with it despite the flaws and The Wee Man is utterly delighted.

OOB except for the Decals fromKitsWorld

BooQyUw.jpg

y8Rx4Ne.jpg

ORPMeI3.jpg

UNfXnda.jpg

Thanks very much for looking.

Cheers,

Alistair

Just realised I've not unmasked the landing lights...... bit of a red face here now

Edit:- I've just noticed* that I've placed the upper wing Insignia on the wrong wing...this will be rectified

*It was pointed out to me and I've no idea how I managed it other than I'm a complete idiot.

Edited by AliGauld
Addendum
  • Like 24

I agree with Alpha Delta.

SUPERB tribute . You made a STUNNING  Model  and how joyous moments  for your kids. 

theh will always remember this & you never know they may get inspired to fly as their careers. 

:wow:

:clap:

:worthy:

thank you for sharing your momentous day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Great tribute to the original crews and modern-day D-Day Squadron crews for bringing them over for the commemoration. I'm sure the kids will never forget the experience. 

I really enjoyed my two grey days at Duxford. 

Many thanks.

They both talk about it quite a lot.

1 hour ago, HOUSTON said:

I agree with Alpha Delta.

SUPERB tribute . You made a STUNNING  Model  and how joyous moments  for your kids. 

theh will always remember this & you never know they may get inspired to fly as their careers. 

:wow:

:clap:

:worthy:

thank you for sharing your momentous day.

Thanks so much.

Innis has already decided that he wants to join the RAF.

1 hour ago, Work In Progress said:

Nice work. It's rare. but always delightful. when you can get decals for an individual aircraft you have spent some time with in real life.

Thank you.

I've a few more planned from my time in the Air Cadets that we got to see and fly in.

Cheers,

Alistair