Jump to content

As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

CedB

Scary Skeeter - Aeroclub 1/72

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, andyf117 said:

In case she demands to know who PAM is?

I said "PAM cooking spray," not "Pam's cooking spray"! 🤐

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

I've used PAM cooking spray (don't tell my wife!). 🤫

So basically, anything slippery works? :) 

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

 

I couldn't find it online either Ced, I got mine from the local 'The Range' store, in the arts and craft section.

 

 

Ummm, that's not the stuff I linked to Ced - is it just 'normal' plaster of paris? I think that's softer than the Herculite I linked to and have used. I worry that if your vac machine is as powerful as has been suggested that it might crumble under the pressure? I maybe should have added I don't have one of those machines so have not had the opportunity to use a plaster buck on one, just in plunge moulding - sorry.

 

Anyway, here's the link again to the stuff I've used;

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Herculite-2-Hard-Casting-Plaster-of-Paris-1kg/291002697147?epid=1655900616&hash=item43c11cc5bb:g:zsAAAOxy-sRSaTS8

 

Keith

Now then, I have to take the car to Bristol next Monday to have the Front Assist checked and there's a Range close to the garage :) 

You remember I had a dashcam fitted for the 'big tour'?

I've noticed that the DAB reception hasn't been too good so I took it back yesterday.

They didn't fix the DAB but they did break the 'Front Assist' and 'Start Stop'.

Now my adaptive cruise doesn't work so I actually have to DRIVE!

Hopefully they'll fix it :fingerscrossed:

Can't see any liquid Vaseline on their website though? :hmmm: 

 

I've got the wrong plaster too? Rats. 

I normally use Amazon as they deliver faster with Mrs B's 'Prime'.

I should have paid more attention, sorry Keith.

That said I'm not sure gooey plastic sheet will break PoP?

I'll give it a go I think - can't wait until next week to try vacforming again!

 

3 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

The Mk 1 eye ball looks spot on there Ced.

 

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) 

 

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

This could get very dodgy, very fast!

 

Apprehensive of Mars 👽

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

As long as you don't put it back in the bottle after using it...

2 hours ago, andyf117 said:

In case she demands to know who PAM is?

2 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

I said "PAM cooking spray," not "Pam's cooking spray"! 🤐

You were right Martian, it got dodgy :D 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Space Ranger said:

I said "PAM cooking spray," not "Pam's cooking spray"! 🤐

I know, but I couldn't resist! 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CedB said:

Can't see any liquid Vaseline on their website though?

 

Me neither, but their website isn't the best. I finally remembered the maker's name and it's 'Pebeo' (I did have a quick look for my bottle but couldn't find it in the disaster area that is the modelling room) - I searched that on their website and everything by Pebeo appears to be out of stock. Whether that's just online I don't know.

 

Hobbycraft appear to have it in stock;

 

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/gedeo-demoulding-vaseline-75ml/570119-1000

 

...and their store availability checker says Bath have it in stock!

 

20 minutes ago, CedB said:

That said I'm not sure gooey plastic sheet will break PoP?

 

I was more worried about the strength of the suction of the machine causing it to break down, but I guess if it's properly dry it 'should' be OK?

 

K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

I said "PAM cooking spray," not "Pam's cooking spray"! 🤐

Why are you cooking Pam?

 

AW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

This could get very dodgy, very fast!

 

Apprehensive of Mars 👽

 

What? On BM? Surely not?

 

:o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Andwil said:

Why are you cooking Pam?

 

AW

Aaaargh!🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, andyf117 said:

I know, but I couldn't resist! 🤣

8 hours ago, Andwil said:

Why are you cooking Pam?

 

AW

7 hours ago, Murdo said:

 

What? On BM? Surely not?

 

:o

4 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Aaaargh!🙄

Oh, you guys :rofl2:

 

 

8 hours ago, keefr22 said:

 

Me neither, but their website isn't the best. I finally remembered the maker's name and it's 'Pebeo' (I did have a quick look for my bottle but couldn't find it in the disaster area that is the modelling room) - I searched that on their website and everything by Pebeo appears to be out of stock. Whether that's just online I don't know.

 

Hobbycraft appear to have it in stock;

 

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/gedeo-demoulding-vaseline-75ml/570119-1000

 

...and their store availability checker says Bath have it in stock!

 

 

I was more worried about the strength of the suction of the machine causing it to break down, but I guess if it's properly dry it 'should' be OK?

 

K

Thanks Keith - I really appreciate you looking it up for me :) 

Off to Hobbycraft later!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back from Hobbycraft.

I found the vaseline and next to it some 'Resin Plaster':

 

49529318641_169bfdcde3_z.jpg

 

These are, presumably, a good pair but I left the plaster there and I'll use the PoP to start with; if it works OK it should last me out!

 

Of course I couldn't resist a quick look around and bought:

 

49528883528_cedc60411e_z.jpg

 

Tools to make it easier to get things off the cutter mat and some blue card for my photo booth.

Obviously, looking at Navy Bird, The General and some other's builds this really helps you build better models… it does, doesn't it?

 

Mrs B kindly donated me a little metal 'jug pot' that she had cosmetic wax in:

 

49528899443_2c048cb724_z.jpg

 

Cleaned out with IPA it should make a great mixing pot for the PoP.

 

First 'duh'.

To protect the kit canopy I mounted it in a Lego frame with some Plasticine support (being careful not to squeeze the moulding):

 

49528906213_9c2fc5ed02_z.jpg

 

I had already trimmed away the 'waste plastic' but now I realise that would have made a much better base.

Ho hum.

I'll have to bodge construct something later.

 

I brushed vaseline on the inside of the mould with a soft brush.

Following the instructions on the PoP packet I filled the mould 2/3 full with water (the condenser stuff).

Then I picked up some PoP with a stirrer, plopped it in and stirred it.

Then I picked up some more - WAIT! The stirrer is wet!

Then I picked up some more PoP with a Tamiya stirrer, plopped it in and stirred it with the wooden stirrer (I'm learning, slowly)

The PoP needs to be "thick but sloppy enough to pour".

Pick up some more PoP - aha, I can use one end for picking and the other end for stirring (the man's a genius 🙄)

OK pour it out into the mould…

Wait. Some PoP stuck to the jug, of course, so there's not enough!

Mix up some more and plop it in, hoping it will 'join up'.

 

Here you go:

 

49528932333_ddfa3503b6_z.jpg

 

I'm out to lunch (what again!) and then to my Science group.

That should give the plug far more than the 1 hour the pot says it takes the PoP to cure.

 

Fingers crossed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CedB said:

Fingers crossed!

 

And toes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, CedB said:

Mrs B kindly donated me a little metal 'jug pot' that she had cosmetic wax in:

Mine uses a blow torch.....

 

Good luck with the mould making Ced.

 

Simon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plasticene, use it around the canopy to bring the level equal all round

Any excess off the buck will be easily trimmed away later

 

And although I've never used that Pebeo casting plaster I think you should have bought it to use

The ordinary plaster makes great groundworks when you branch into diorame making

 

Think on lad...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 8:32 AM, CedB said:

I needed t chop the top off to fit the shaft so the Micro-dividers came in handy:

 

49520339011_1aa9b45044_z.jpg

Ced, my mate!

This is a tool that you'll have to teach me to use sometime. I'm a huge fan of the Hobby Elements range of tools, and I'm having a nightmare of a hard time trying to correctly mate the metal Master Model 1/48 F-14A early tip to the resin Steel Beach 1/48 F-14A nose correction bit for the Monogram kit. Think the micro-dividers tool would be of help to that?

Yeh, do ya...?

Cheers,

 

Unc2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

 

And toes!

:D Thanks Keith - results below!

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Mine uses a blow torch.....

 

Good luck with the mould making Ced.

 

Simon.

:D Thanks Simon.

4 hours ago, perdu said:

Plasticene, use it around the canopy to bring the level equal all round

Any excess off the buck will be easily trimmed away later

 

And although I've never used that Pebeo casting plaster I think you should have bought it to use

The ordinary plaster makes great groundworks when you branch into diorame making

 

Think on lad...

Thanks Bill :) I think you might be right - see below.

2 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Ced, my mate!

This is a tool that you'll have to teach me to use sometime. I'm a huge fan of the Hobby Elements range of tools, and I'm having a nightmare of a hard time trying to correctly mate the metal Master Model 1/48 F-14A early tip to the resin Steel Beach 1/48 F-14A nose correction bit for the Monogram kit. Think the micro-dividers tool would be of help to that?

Yeh, do ya...?

Cheers,

 

Unc2

Yeh, I do Unc2! Go on, order one, you know you want to. And while you're at it, some of those… :D

 

 

 

Back from my science group.

I'll tell you about it later because I know, like me, you can't wait to see the results of the moulding.

Out with the mould, gentle squeeze.

It's stuck.

Sharp tap and it's out!

Oh dear…

 

49530016623_f8878caf49_z.jpg

 

Nice photo though eh?

 

Remember this?

 

49529318641_169bfdcde3.jpg

 

See it says on the packet "limits the formation of bubbles"?

 

Right, I'm off to Hobbycraft so I can have a fresh start in the morning.

 

Oh, the Science group on 'Artificial Intelligence'?

Spoilt for me…

…by two feminists who kept interjecting that 'It won't work for us because it's designed by white males' and 

…an arty/hippy type who kept interjecting with long diatribes on why aren't we nicer to each other and forming communities and saving the planet and…

…some 'politicos' who were agin' it 'cos 'They', sorry 'THEY', would use it to control us.

Oh good grief.

I asked Siri and Alexa what they think… but they said they didn't have and answer/opinion on that. I'm sure they do, they're just not telling us. Scary.

 

Anyway, in summary, I think we need to do some hard work on 'Natural Intelligence' soon or, after 'The Singularity', there's no hope for us.

 

And some more work on moulding techniques, of course :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That I fear is simply beyond us Ced


We  seem to have already used the 'Natural Intelligence' available, all I see around us these days is the dregs circling round the bottom of the barrel

 

Maybe the future is already sealed in a race to the bottom, only those with 'Natural Wisdom' will refrain from joining the rush

 

And here endeth the Billosophy Phorum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CedB said:

I'm sure they do, they're just not telling us. Scary.

 

 

RAF son in law and mates have been attending some very interesting lectures and forums on AI. Defence IT specialists are apparently rather 'concerned' about certain military led AI developments....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CedB said:

Oh dear…

 

49530016623_f8878caf49_z.jpg

 

I had some bubbles in the plaster I used but nothing like that Ced. I would suggest mixing some more PoP up and smearing it into the bubbles, but I'm not sure about that chunk out of the top.... 

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

 

I had some bubbles in the plaster I used but nothing like that Ced. I would suggest mixing some more PoP up and smearing it into the bubbles, but I'm not sure about that chunk out of the top.... 

 

Keith

It'll be OK Keith, he will get the proper stuff in the morning

THEN FOLLOW VERY CAREFULLY THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT WILL HELP HIM MIX WITHOUT BUBBLES.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CedB said:

I found the vaseline and next to it some 'Resin Plaster':

 

Also known as the Cynthia Albritton emergency toolkit.

 

 

How did you pour the plaster Ced ?  Straight into the bottom ? (select fnarr of choice)  Or down one side and let it flow around the part by itself and rise up the sides ?

When pouring resin I generally tilt the mold and pour down one wall in a steady stream, letting the resin find it's own level and rise while I keep pouring in the same spot.  I find that helps minimize bubbles

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

 

RAF son in law and mates have been attending some very interesting lectures and forums on AI. Defence IT specialists are apparently rather 'concerned' about certain military led AI developments....

I hope no-one mentioned Skynet ................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Whofan said:

I hope no-one mentioned Skynet ................

 

Actually.... :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, keefr22 said:

 

Actually.... :wink:

Oh no !!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, perdu said:

That I fear is simply beyond us Ced


We  seem to have already used the 'Natural Intelligence' available, all I see around us these days is the dregs circling round the bottom of the barrel

 

Maybe the future is already sealed in a race to the bottom, only those with 'Natural Wisdom' will refrain from joining the rush

 

And here endeth the Billosophy Phorum.

Quite right Bill. I'm hoping it's just that 'Big Brother' is feeding us 'Love Island' as some sort of test. Let's hope we pass… :D 

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

 

RAF son in law and mates have been attending some very interesting lectures and forums on AI. Defence IT specialists are apparently rather 'concerned' about certain military led AI developments....

And so they should be Keith. None of the military applications work out well. Or is that just in the stories… :) 

 

1 hour ago, Whofan said:

I hope no-one mentioned Skynet ................

48 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

 

Actually.... :wink:

47 minutes ago, Whofan said:

Oh no !!!!!

Yep, like that one! :D 

 

 

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

 

I had some bubbles in the plaster I used but nothing like that Ced. I would suggest mixing some more PoP up and smearing it into the bubbles, but I'm not sure about that chunk out of the top.... 

 

Keith

Thanks Keith, but I'll bin the first try. Because…

 

3 hours ago, perdu said:

It'll be OK Keith, he will get the proper stuff in the morning

THEN FOLLOW VERY CAREFULLY THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT WILL HELP HIM MIX WITHOUT BUBBLES.

Already got it Bill:

49530288043_581e311af8.jpg

 

Also some glue for sticking labels on stuff I send to people.

What's that?

Eggs?

Where?? :whistle:

They're all gone now. Once you open the packet you have to eat them quickly or they go off.

It's science.

 

I do forecast an increase in road traffic accidents over the next few months.

Do you know how difficult it is to unwrap a mini Creme Egg while you're driving?

No, neither do I :blush:

 

1 hour ago, hendie said:

 

Also known as the Cynthia Albritton emergency toolkit.

:rofl:

1 hour ago, hendie said:

 

How did you pour the plaster Ced ?  Straight into the bottom ? (select fnarr of choice)  Or down one side and let it flow around the part by itself and rise up the sides ?

When pouring resin I generally tilt the mold and pour down one wall in a steady stream, letting the resin find it's own level and rise while I keep pouring in the same spot.  I find that helps minimize bubbles

 

Don't remember hendie, I just sort of panicked.

 

Tomorrow, with the new plaster stuff and, as Bill says, "THEN FOLLOW VERY CAREFULLY THE INSTRUCTIONS" (they are a bit weird) I will NOT pour it straight into the bottom (snurf fnaar) but down one wall, like a carefully prepared Irish Coffee, or pouring Champagne.

 

We shall see, soon!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is fascinating stuff, if I read it slowly I can just about understand it.

Your Science Group sounds like a barrel of laughs, next time tell them they all need to be more ‘ inclusive ‘ and  less ‘ gender specific’ then stand back. 

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks John :) 

To be honest, the 'core' people in the group are a good bunch; we just get some 'casual' visitors who seem to want to change the world to their point of view. Just like 'social networking' eh?

 

 

Right, let's try the new stuff.

Listen to what Bill said, he knows you know.

Plasticine to increase the mould height:

 

49533452541_ff91ec8399_z.jpg

 

(Sausages!)

 

Read the INSTRUCTIONS:

 

49533682422_f01057d7b5_z.jpg

 

Work out how to open the 'never seen one of those before' packet:

 

49533463646_ce76b51269_z.jpg

 

The answer is to bang the rocks together squeeze the inside bit guys :) 

 

1 part water, 3 parts plaster:

 

49533696057_288a5ff5ec_z.jpg

 

Leave for 1 minute, stir:

 

49533478081_a18315124c_z.jpg

 

That's not going to pour, is it? It does start drying though:

 

49533484451_20c8f9e604_z.jpg

 

Right, science head on.

The powder needs to be in contact with the water to absorb it - perhaps it's the narrow pots?

Perhaps I didn't allow for the meniscus when I measured the water?

Watch some videos… they're mixing bigger quantities but confirm the 1:3 mix using teaspoons (1 water, 3 powder).

 

Try again:

 

49533518286_c8622e1762_z.jpg

 

…but mix in a flatter container (tin lid):

 

49533523706_48b05bafe4_z.jpg

 

Much better.

 

Pour it into the mould down one side (thanks hendie) and to be sure, hit it with the vibrator electric nail file:

 

49533754747_72e8092b1b_z.jpg

 

That should remove the bubbles and settle the mix to the bottom of the mould with any excess water floating to the top:

 

49533031203_3f5ae25e75_z.jpg

 

Timer set for 1 hour.

Fingers crossed :fingerscrossed:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...