Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

CedB

Scary Skeeter - Aeroclub 1/72

Recommended Posts

Secrets

 

 

We all need our secrets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

I've been away for a couple of days without internet access. Can you tell me how many of your builds I've missed since the Sioux please Ced?

He does build quicker than a quick thing, doesn't he...

....quicker than me, certainly - I've posted an RFI today of a model that I've just finished...

....I only started it 31 years ago....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, andyf117 said:

....I only started it 31 years ago....

 

So there's hope I might finish the Vulcan I started the week after my son was born. He was 36 last December....!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooh I just got myself a tiddly chopper too. Not quite this small though. Looks like a fun kit. I’m in. 🤩

 

Jont

Edited by The Spadgent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the fact that everyone has started sending you helicopters Ced.

Don't get carried away!

giphy.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/02/2020 at 16:40, general melchett said:

We are still talking models here?

 

I shall definitely think about thinking about it Bill....make a note Darling  'Skeeter to be dug out, dusted, hosed down and vigorously toweled off'.

 

Plagiarize away Ced, donning the waders as we speak......if you have any little queries, Darling will deal with them.

 

 

:D Thanks Melchie! It'd be great to see you finish yours. I re-read the thread again and I'm definitely up for some of the detailing.

Nurse!

 

On 04/02/2020 at 17:20, perdu said:

Secrets

 

 

We all need our secrets

Sssshh Bill, don't tell 'em :D 

 

On 04/02/2020 at 18:29, andyf117 said:

He does build quicker than a quick thing, doesn't he...

....quicker than me, certainly - I've posted an RFI today of a model that I've just finished...

....I only started it 31 years ago....

Thanks Andy - well, stalled a bit on tis while I finish my Spit but normal service will resume ASAP :) 

 

On 04/02/2020 at 20:46, keefr22 said:

 

So there's hope I might finish the Vulcan I started the week after my son was born. He was 36 last December....!

There's always hope Keith :D 

 

On 04/02/2020 at 21:36, The Spadgent said:

Ooh I just got myself a tiddly chopper too. Not quite this small though. Looks like a fan kit. I’m in. 🤩

 

Jont

Fnaar! Looking forward to seeing your 'Thing' Johnny. (Oooh, now that sounds wrong). The chopper you're planning from the film that is :D 

 

On 04/02/2020 at 21:52, TheBaron said:

Love the fact that everyone has started sending you helicopters Ced.

Don't get carried away!

giphy.gif

 

Thanks Tony - I want one of those!! :D 

 

On 04/02/2020 at 22:58, chrislowe said:

Fanar for days 🤣

On 04/02/2020 at 23:04, chrislowe said:

Sorry General

Thanks Chris :) 

 

 

Put to the side very temporarily so I can finish the Spit, she will be restarted soon.

 

I've had some time away from the bench over the last few days…

 

An old school mate* picked me up on Tuesday morning to resume our Backgammon challenge and took me to see his new 'hut'.

Sounds a bit 'native' but he did very well in business and, due to his wife's recent illness, decided they should move out of their house while they were having an Orangery built.

(Are you getting the idea that he's, how shall I put it, a bit better off than most of us? An Orangery by the way is like a conservatory, only much more expensive)

His hut turned out to be a 'Luxury Holiday Lodge' in some woods about 20 minutes drive away.

After putting the world to rights and a few games he 'served me lunch'.

My favourite.

You may know what THAT is and, after our monthly lunch dates, so does he - Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney pudding and mash!

Nom nom nom…

The best way to a man's heart is through his stomach :) 

And not, as Jo Brand insists, through his chest with a bread knife.

 

* Friends will help you move house, mates will help you move a body. Rare and to be treasured.

 

New story.

While putting out the recycling I noticed our neighbour's cardboard bag (the blue bag for cardboard, not a… oh, you get it) had blown over and there was bits of cardboard all over the place.

Of course I decided to tidy it up.

As I bent down to pick up the mess, my iPhone dropped out of my coat pocket onto the pavement and the back cracked - well, shattered is more like it :weep:

It's still in one piece so I put an old screen protector over it to keep it together and save my fingers from any sharp edges.

Popped into the Apple store yesterday to see about a repair. 

Apparently they don't do that - they say that it's part of the chassis and can't be replaced - they offer a replacement for £4-500!

Hah!

They obviously haven't seen this video - skip through it, it's scary!

I've ordered a thin case to hide my shame.

 

More Skeeter soon, promise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CedB said:

* Friends will help you move house, mates will help you move a body. Rare and to be treasured.

 

Hmmm, and how many times have you called on a mate to help you do that Ced?? :yikes:

 

K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about your telephone Mr B. I thought you were meant to get good Karma after a good deed done? Gah! Bloody karma. 🤪

It always worries me doing DIY on Apple products. You’ll have to do a side thread on how to do it. 
good luck kid. 🙌

 

Johnny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CedB said:

Popped into the Apple store yesterday to see about a repair. 

Apparently they don't do that - they say that it's part of the chassis and can't be replaced - they offer a replacement for £4-500!

Hah!

Ced,

 

a little while ago my daughter dropped her iphone 6 into some water. All I should say is the phone was in the back pocket of her jeans.

 

If you think hard, you'll realise what water she found to drop the phone into!

 

Of course, she had to buy a replacement iphone within minutes, as she wailed, "my life is on that phone !" The phone duly ended up (dried off in rice, but it didn't work) in my "study".

 

After some weeks, I noticed the case had split apart. A few weeks later when I went to meet up with some ex colleagues in Birmingham I remembered to take it with me to the Apple store in B'ham.

 

After an examination of the phone, the " apple genius" said oh, "it's a battery problem, we can fix that"  After gulping, I tried to ask in a way that suggested the expected £4 - 500 cost was not a problem, the "apple genius" said "£25 to replace the battery".

 

Damn me if I nearly swooned ! Apple not ripping me off I thought - there's a turnup for the books. Anyway, said apple genius brought over a box and said we'll just switch networks, and produced a brand new iphone.

 

I ended up with a brand new iphone for £25.

 

Incidentally, which Apple store did you go to?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apples...? 

Turnups....!? 

Whas going on here lads?? 

It's like walking in to the local and there's all the guys having a right ol chinwag.. 

 

Good luck with this 'un, Ced. 

It would look a bit overshadowed beside a 30ton 3 engined Merlin. Might even fit inside 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Apples...? 

Turnups....!? 

Whas going on here lads?? 

It's like walking in to the local and there's all the guys having a right ol chinwag.. 

 

Good luck with this 'un, Ced. 

It would look a bit overshadowed beside a 30ton 3 engined Merlin. Might even fit inside 

Rob,

 

nothing to worry about. By the look of the guest list, the bar's full up for this build. Skeeter service will be resuned shortly I'm sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mysterious 'friend' who lives in the woods.

Going through neighbour's rubbish.

Casual mention of concealing body.

 

He's openly mocking the police now...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Whofan said:

Ced,

 

a little while ago my daughter dropped her iphone 6 into some water. All I should say is the phone was in the back pocket of her jeans.

 

If you think hard, you'll realise what water she found to drop the phone into!

 

Of course, she had to buy a replacement iphone within minutes, as she wailed, "my life is on that phone !" The phone duly ended up (dried off in rice, but it didn't work) in my "study".

 

After some weeks, I noticed the case had split apart. A few weeks later when I went to meet up with some ex colleagues in Birmingham I remembered to take it with me to the Apple store in B'ham.

 

After an examination of the phone, the " apple genius" said oh, "it's a battery problem, we can fix that"  After gulping, I tried to ask in a way that suggested the expected £4 - 500 cost was not a problem, the "apple genius" said "£25 to replace the battery".

 

Damn me if I nearly swooned ! Apple not ripping me off I thought - there's a turnup for the books. Anyway, said apple genius brought over a box and said we'll just switch networks, and produced a brand new iphone.

 

I ended up with a brand new iphone for £25.

 

Incidentally, which Apple store did you go to?

 

 

Yes the Birmingham store is awesome. My Apple Watch cracked. (A fault in the design) I took it back to the store, outside of the warranty too. They tried to fix it for free. Couldn’t so gave me a new one. Brilliant. And the building is a stunner to boot. 😇🙌

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Yes the Birmingham store is awesome. My Apple Watch cracked. (A fault in the design) I took it back to the store, outside of the warranty too. They tried to fix it for free. Couldn’t so gave me a new one. Brilliant. And the building is a stunner to boot. 😇🙌

They are good there, they replaced my wife's IPad after its screen developed a fault within warranty.

 

The building itself used to be the min Midland Bank in Birmingham, then it was sold to Waterstones, and then Apple took it on.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t have an IPhone but I do have an iPod ( 3rd now, broke the other two ) which is in a tough rubberised case and has an ‘armoured’ screen protector. It now weighs about 75% more than the original and is about 25% thicker, but I’ve dropped it several times, and it actually bounces! Works for me.

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, keefr22 said:

 

Hmmm, and how many times have you called on a mate to help you do that Ced?? :yikes:

 

K

Thanks Keith - I believe 'No comment' is the usual answer :D 

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Sorry to hear about your telephone Mr B. I thought you were meant to get good Karma after a good deed done? Gah! Bloody karma. 🤪

It always worries me doing DIY on Apple products. You’ll have to do a side thread on how to do it. 
good luck kid. 🙌

 

Johnny

Thanks Johnny - yes, no good deed goes unpunished! :D 

I'm a bit wary of DIY repairs - even with my 'new' modelling skills there's always the danger I'd cut something important…

10 hours ago, Whofan said:

Ced,

 

a little while ago my daughter dropped her iphone 6 into some water. All I should say is the phone was in the back pocket of her jeans.

 

If you think hard, you'll realise what water she found to drop the phone into!

 

Of course, she had to buy a replacement iphone within minutes, as she wailed, "my life is on that phone !" The phone duly ended up (dried off in rice, but it didn't work) in my "study".

 

After some weeks, I noticed the case had split apart. A few weeks later when I went to meet up with some ex colleagues in Birmingham I remembered to take it with me to the Apple store in B'ham.

 

After an examination of the phone, the " apple genius" said oh, "it's a battery problem, we can fix that"  After gulping, I tried to ask in a way that suggested the expected £4 - 500 cost was not a problem, the "apple genius" said "£25 to replace the battery".

 

Damn me if I nearly swooned ! Apple not ripping me off I thought - there's a turnup for the books. Anyway, said apple genius brought over a box and said we'll just switch networks, and produced a brand new iphone.

 

I ended up with a brand new iphone for £25.

 

Incidentally, which Apple store did you go to?

 

 

I didn't have to think very hard about what water that was John - been there! :D 

I've stopped putting my phone in my shirt top pocket because of that AND because I had a problem with fluff getting in the charging port (nasty!)

This time it fell from the inside pocket of my coat!

To be honest, it's not the first time this phone has been dropped or fallen off somewhere (the iPhone X is very slippery) but it's the first time it's been damaged - just my luck :( 

I went to the Apple store in Bath. They've been good in the past but not this time, sadly.

10 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Apples...? 

Turnups....!? 

Whas going on here lads?? 

It's like walking in to the local and there's all the guys having a right ol chinwag.. 

 

Good luck with this 'un, Ced. 

It would look a bit overshadowed beside a 30ton 3 engined Merlin. Might even fit inside 

Thanks Rob - yep, tiny stuff. Scary :) 

10 hours ago, Whofan said:

Rob,

 

nothing to worry about. By the look of the guest list, the bar's full up for this build. Skeeter service will be resuned shortly I'm sure!

Soon John, soon :) 

9 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Mysterious 'friend' who lives in the woods.

Going through neighbour's rubbish.

Casual mention of concealing body.

 

He's openly mocking the police now...

 

 

:rofl2: Thanks Tony. I would never mock the boys people in blue, especially now I'm on the local police 'Independent Advisory Group'… and have a friend who used to be a CSI.

I could tell you what I'm up to, but then…

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Yes the Birmingham store is awesome. My Apple Watch cracked. (A fault in the design) I took it back to the store, outside of the warranty too. They tried to fix it for free. Couldn’t so gave me a new one. Brilliant. And the building is a stunner to boot. 😇🙌

Great service eh, sometimes :) 

7 hours ago, Whofan said:

They are good there, they replaced my wife's IPad after its screen developed a fault within warranty.

 

The building itself used to be the min Midland Bank in Birmingham, then it was sold to Waterstones, and then Apple took it on.

 

 

Ah, Banks. I remember Banks :) 

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Don’t have an IPhone but I do have an iPod ( 3rd now, broke the other two ) which is in a tough rubberised case and has an ‘armoured’ screen protector. It now weighs about 75% more than the original and is about 25% thicker, but I’ve dropped it several times, and it actually bounces! Works for me.

 

John

That's why I didn't have a case John - why buy a nice slim phone and then make it chunky - but lesson learned. This new case is very thin so not too bad :) 

 

 

I'm hoping to get some more done on the Skeeter soon.

Maybe later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Progress this morning, if only a bit.

 

I needed to spray the prop on the Spit so I thought I'd do the Skeeter blades at there same time:

 

49500853921_4b93740ea7_z.jpg

 

Chunky gates.

You can see the intended shape in them though so soon sorted.

 

Now sprayed with VMA NATO black.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only orangeries I’ve ever seen have been attached to stately homes. Does your mate also have wifelets and a large safari park?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had to clean the fluff out of my charging port with a no.11 blade! One has to be VERY careful sometimes.....

 

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Avereda said:

Does your mate also have wifelets and a large safari park?

Thanks John :D "Wifelets"? Is that small ones or ones that you, er, rent out (fnaar!)

 

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I just had to clean the fluff out of my charging port with a no.11 blade! One has to be VERY careful sometimes.....

 

Ian

Yikes! Short circuit WARNING! Possibly…

I clean mine with a micro brush and IPA - just saying :) 

 

 

The Spit is finished now all bar the shouting so I can, finally, concentrate on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just changed my desktop picture to this and you can really see the 'double dome' of the canopy…

 

There's only one canopy in my kit and that makes me nervous.

I did have a look at vac forming machines this morning.

IF I were to get one and make a buck (like Bill) can anyone recommend a suitable source of plastic sheet - with specs please!

 

Oh dammit, I've just ordered one… ooops.

 

I need to get some plastic now - help please!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PETg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-5mm-20-Thou-A4-PETG-Crystal-Clear-Plastic-Sheet-Vacuum-Forming-Craft-Build/372598609894?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

 

0.5mm thick and is what I use

 

I am sure that if you read Steve's notes on getting the clear unbubbled moulds you will be fine

 

(It bubbles inside the plastic if you dont treat it right)

 

I make it warm first with my blowlamp/paintstripper gun and then reheat it and hit the vac form machine but you wont need to do that with the magic device

 

Steve will help you get started I am sure

 

If I use acetate I buy it from my local art shop, they supply in big (A1) sheets then trim it to A4 for me

 

Acetate is less fussy than PETg but is also less durable

 

Fun Ced, it IS the essence of what we do

 

 

 

Honest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi again Ced

 

Double bubble?

 

Are you sure?

1962_Saunders-Roe_Skeeter_AOP12_(XL812)_

 

When I magnify the image I see a steady single curve over the roof but with a reflection from the sun that gives an optical wotsit

Good news  that you now own a free admission to the master moulder's guild, fancy subbing some of my work mate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...