Scary Skeeter - Aeroclub 1/72

CedB

Thanks Giorgio :) Still no canned patience, sadly…

While I had Studio open I designed the panels and printed them (a la Baron) on aluminium repair tape:

49587289247_33bd9bafce_z.jpg

Used the new Silhouette spatula to get the foil off the cutting sheet - much better than peeling IMHO as it stops any damage.

I tried putting some little circles on the panels to represent the catches but they sometimes tore the foil:

49586551058_1f3c865d47_z.jpg

They look fine on the model though, burnished down and poked a bit:

49587066751_0625648bd8_z.jpg

I do like this foil idea as you can add detail, like the hatch hinge:

49586578403_c3b10243bf_z.jpg

Right, on with the i/p…

• Like 13

Well this is as good as I'm going to get:

49586844798_19e0a02ce2_z.jpg

Fingers crossed it looks OK under paint.

I've also added the box to the tail:

49587575137_baf21932c6_z.jpg

Having seen Heather's lovely Beau I've also become keen on Humbrol 32 and I've painted the frame so that it shows up a bit more:

49586845298_d6efbe3403_z.jpg

More greeblies to add before primer, but almost there.

…and the undercarriage, probably after fiddling with the rest.

• Like 17

That’s all looking rather nice, considering just how tiny most of it is. It’s always good to have a standard set by someone else to aspire to, but we shouldn’t feel bad if we don’t quite get there. At least we try, and that IP looks good enough to me.

I ought to add a disclaimer that other dark greys aside from Hu32 are available. I’ve settled on it for a decent faded tyre rubber colour, but I’m not averse to mixing some more black in if the mood suits. :wink:

Edited by Heather Kay
Otto Korrect corrected
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The detail is wonderful. I just don’t have the patience to go to that level I’m more of a broad strokes modeller.

The foil looks promising. I’d say if you just emboss the catches with something like  a blunted cocktail stick you’d get the effect your looking for.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cracking little panel Ced - it'll look billiant under a coat of paint!

Out of interest I popped into the local Hobbycraft on the way to pick granddaughter up from school (needed some new Tamiya clear colours and some tape) and they have round nose pliers in their valuecraft range for £3.50 - they looked OK to me! (and if you don't mind pink handles they had some in a set of three with different jaws for £7!)

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

That’s all looking rather nice, considering just how tiny most of it is. It’s always good to have a standard set by someone else to aspire to, but we shouldn’t feel bad if we don’t quite get there. At least we try, and that IP looks good enough to me.

I ought to add a disclaimer that other dark greys aside from Hu32 are available. I’ve settled on it for a decent faded tyre rubber colour, but I’m not averse to mixing some more black in if the mood suits. :wink:

Thanks Heather, kind of you :) Other greys noted!

Thanks also to Steve, Marklo, Simon, Ian, Giorgio, Ben and Roger - really appreciate the support, especially for my poor eyes!

9 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Cracking little panel Ced - it'll look billiant under a coat of paint!

Out of interest I popped into the local Hobbycraft on the way to pick granddaughter up from school (needed some new Tamiya clear colours and some tape) and they have round nose pliers in their valuecraft range for £3.50 - they looked OK to me! (and if you don't mind pink handles they had some in a set of three with different jaws for £7!)

Keith

Thanks Keith :) The replacement ones are due on Friday but if they're no good I'll pop down to Hobbycraft.

Oooh look, a mitre for rod:

49588590912_c05e8bbde2_z.jpg

Much easier than trying to stop stuff rolling around in the other one.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

What's that rod for?

49588432916_2cdcac2cf1_z.jpg

Madness.

At this size static electricity works better than the glue and the tiny bits flip all over the place.

That will do.

As if that wasn't silly enough, here are the two handbrakes:

49588678267_8f6e5593f2_z.jpg

I'm going to build something bigger next time.

Much bigger.

I need to add some boxes to the internals, blast some paint on and then add the tiny bits.

Tomorrow.

• Like 16

On 2/25/2020 at 2:31 PM, andyf117 said:

I got the car back yesterday, after 12 days - but had to wait around for another hour after initially having it handed over, because of an ever-so-slight technical hitch...

....insofar as my key (they'd had the spare) wouldn't work because of 're-coding' - fortunately I'd automatically gone to use it, rather than the spare they'd handed back...

....would have been annoying if I'd got all the way home, and then discovered it! That additional software download was 'free' - should hope so, I'd just paid nearly £1300...

And guess who went out to his car at lunchtime today, and discovered it was completely dead?

Used it for a two-stop five-mile round trip yesterday - 24 hours later, couldn't even unlock it...

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

You’ve already done a B36. Have you something bigger than that? :shocked:

But to be fair Heather, anything will be bigger than that Skeeter....unless Ced has got a Flying Flee in the stash....!! :)

On the other hand it wouldn't surprise me if he's ordered one of these...

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GIANT7206?result-token=Wmwho

🤣

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

You’ve already done a B36. Have you something bigger than that? :shocked:

:D No, thankfully Heather, but everything in the stash is bigger than this!

3 hours ago, andyf117 said:

And guess who went out to his car at lunchtime today, and discovered it was completely dead?

Used it for a two-stop five-mile round trip yesterday - 24 hours later, couldn't even unlock it...

Oh good grief Andy. Back to the garage eh? Refund maybe? :( 

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

But to be fair Heather, anything will be bigger than that Skeeter....unless Ced has got a Flying Flee in the stash....!! :)

On the other hand it wouldn't surprise me if he's ordered one of these...

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GIANT7206?result-token=Wmwho

🤣

Keith

:D NO! Thanks Keith but that's just MASSIVE!

27 minutes ago, perdu said:

Handbrakes?

Well, OK, one handbrake and one rotor brake/clutch, like this:

49589719052_b094633eec_z.jpg

(Photo courtesy of HAAF)

If you zoom in you can see left 'u/c brake', right 'clutch' with a little thing for the rotor brake.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, perdu said:

Handbrakes?

One is indeed the wheel brake the other is the clutch control for the engine to main rotor. Both handles would not look out of place in a 1950s saloon car as they are exactly the same items. The wheel brake handle is unadorned but the clutch lever has small T handles for the rotor brake and the cartridge starter (missing on 813 as she has an electric starter mod.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Aeronut said:

One is indeed the wheel brake the other is the clutch control for the engine to main rotor. Both handles would not look out of place in a 1950s saloon car as they are exactly the same items. The wheel brake handle is unadorned but the clutch lever has small T handles for the rotor brake and the cartridge starter (missing on 813 as she has an electric starter mod.

Thanks Alastair - great info :) 

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Wow Ced, that's a fantastic bit of modelling....

...oh, wait.... :wink:

K

Thanks Keith :rofl:

In a lazy few minutes I searched for 'Skeeter 1/72 interior' to see if anyone had done a PE set.

Nothing.

Rats.

However, I did find some additional walk arounds via Scalemates with some great photos on Prime Portal of the underside - @general melchett these might help with your, er, bottom?

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, CedB said:

Oh good grief Andy. Back to the garage eh? Refund maybe? :(

I wish - currently they're saying the battery (original, so 10+ years old) has probably given after under the strain of the software downloads - I could see they had it hooked up to a charger while re-programming my key, and when they brought it round they left it running because the battery charge level was "very low"...

....they'll sell me a new battery, and fit it free - but I have to get the car recovered to them, and not sure if my Barclays RAC cover will cover taking it there (might be too far)...

1 hour ago, CedB said:

@general melchett these might help with your, er, bottom?

Aren't there special creams for protruberances from bottoms?

Edited by andyf117
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Can you imagine how poor the Skeeter would have been if I'd made it?

Lovely planning and research Ced, well done mate

👍

I can Bill, I can - better, that's what (cf Waspie, just sayin') :) 

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

I wish - currently they're saying the battery (original, so 10+ years old) has probably given after under the strain of the software downloads - I could see they had it hooked up to a charger while re-programming my key, and when they brought it round they left it running because the battery charge level was "very low"...

....they'll sell me a new battery, and fit it free - but I have to get the car recovered to them, and not sure if my Barclays RAC cover will cover taking it there (might be too far)...

Wow. If you have RAC will they come to your home? I think they do battery replacement at reasonable cost? It is a sort of breakdown after all.

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

Aren't there special creams for protruberances from bottoms?

Yes. Catchy name… there's a comedian does a sketch on trying to order some in a shop without people knowing what your problem is :D 

1 hour ago, perdu said:

If they are that special why haven't they been offered to poor old me?  :(

Who knows Bill? Next time you go to the surgery, 'moon' at the GP and see what they say :wicked:

Remember this?

21 hours ago, Marklo said:

The foil looks promising. I’d say if you just emboss the catches with something like  a blunted cocktail stick you’d get the effect your looking for.

Great idea Marklo, so…

49591497337_9f9cfc12a0_z.jpg

Madness.

My JLC mitre block has obviously 'worn' and it doesn't cut square ends.

Or perhaps it's this bad workman blaming his tools and not holding the saw straight :shrug:

Anyway, two consoles cut and repair tape stuck to them.

The black dot is so I remember where the bottom is (titter).

I'm using this photo from HAAF:

49591590232_6f2117b9ac_z.jpg

…and another one from the side.

I need to beware of the wide angle lens distortion but it give me an idea of relative sizes.

These are drying now:

49590822583_653d0cdf6b_z.jpg

Note the two little box thingies on the bottom one.

Madness.

Off to give my eyes a rest…

• Like 10