Scary Skeeter - Aeroclub 1/72

CedB

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Dealers are having their margins squeezed so I can imagine that there is an 'arrangement' that protects their margins.

Trouble is, if they price themselves out of the market, they'll go bust too and then where will we buy our bits?

From the independents who'd get them direct and would then be servicing the cars - but probably then at dealer rates...!! I guess it's a no win scenario! 

Thing is the the whole 'new car' buying business is a bit of a scam. My son and his missus just bought themselves a 'brand new' Citroen C4 for her. 19 plate with one mile on it - pre registered by Citroen and with tons of toys - ready to go wrong! - on it for 11 grand with 1500 part ex on her old Ibiza which the dealer didn't even look at! List price somewhere over £24K! Then a week later a mate who I hadn't seen for a few months rocked up in his 'retirement present' to himself - 69 plate BMW X Drive M Sport 535 Touring. Again with all the toys, pre registered with 12 miles on the clock, bought from the local BMW dealer - £31.5K, list price £44000....!! Dealer margins don't seem to bother the manufacturers...!!

Anyway, enough moaning about cars, I'm just glad I'll be too old to ever have to buy an electric thing...

Back to teeny weeny helicopters, one of which is coming along exceedingly nicely on here.... cracking work Ced :)

Keith

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

A level of audacious awesomeness has emerged in your work of late Ced - three weeks tops and you'll be fixing the car yourself.

- as the result of being kicked by customers....

Thanks Tony :) Car fixed! I just put the fuse back in the right place :huh:

1 hour ago, perdu said:

∆∆∆∆∆    He ain't wrong is he?

We are definitely in at a beginning

The framework and gearbox look proper Saunders-Roe to me Ced, exemplary work

Don't come here pretending not to be a master of our craft, won't wash chum

👍

Thanks Bill, appreciated :) 

I'm not sure about the 'master' though… just lucky at the moment. Wait until I start the cockpit internals and then we can decide eh?

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Your work in the engine compartment is ncertainly paying off - top class workmanship!

Roger

Thanks Roger, very kind :) 

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Top stuff Ced! Like that little micro mitre thing. I might need one of those ............

Terry

Cheers Terry :) The mitre is really useful, but they're not cheap, sadly. I got mine here. Note that they only work with JLC (or similar) thin blades.

Ooh look, they do one for circular sections :Tasty:

I've ordered one, of course.

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Holy cr.p! I mean, that thing is tiny, and you are doing an excellent detailing job, Ced! :worthy:  :clap: Raising the bar higher and higher! :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio, kind of you. I won't keep it up… :) 

32 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

From the independents who'd get them direct and would then be servicing the cars - but probably then at dealer rates...!! I guess it's a no win scenario! 

Thing is the the whole 'new car' buying business is a bit of a scam. My son and his missus just bought themselves a 'brand new' Citroen C4 for her. 19 plate with one mile on it - pre registered by Citroen and with tons of toys - ready to go wrong! - on it for 11 grand with 1500 part ex on her old Ibiza which the dealer didn't even look at! List price somewhere over £24K! Then a week later a mate who I hadn't seen for a few months rocked up in his 'retirement present' to himself - 69 plate BMW X Drive M Sport 535 Touring. Again with all the toys, pre registered with 12 miles on the clock, bought from the local BMW dealer - £31.5K, list price £44000....!! Dealer margins don't seem to bother the manufacturers...!!

Anyway, enough moaning about cars, I'm just glad I'll be to old to ever have to buy an electric thing...

Back to teeny weeny helicopters, one of which is coming along exceedingly nicely on here.... cracking work Ced :)

Keith

Thanks Keith :) I think things are changing eh? In the old days dealers got a commission on each car. For a long while they've stopped that and been rewarded on numbers, hence the chance of a great deal if they're close to their target. If only we know when that was…

Frame finished and now painted glossy black in the hope that'll it'll show up.

Some hope:

49551924386_729a5815e8_z.jpg

49551924391_a52acd079a_z.jpg

Had to take those with ProCamera to get even those shots.

I've not given up on soldering; I have the tail skid, the top frame and ring (once the new pliers arrive) and the u/c supports to do.

Sometime :) 

• Like 13

The garage have refunded their charge - result! Although, as they didn't do anything, I think that's only fair.

Oh wait, I did get a wash and Vac I suppose - winner!

Last thing this morning. Seat backs had some detail scribed and seats glued in after chopping off the collective handles:

49551636988_4686947d61_z.jpg

Good start I think.

Still have the tiny i/p to think about - scary!

• Like 11

It wasn’t until you showed that mitre block that I got the full picture of how tiny this entire model is.  I have a mitre block exactly like that one, and it’s very small indeed.

Great work!

• Thanks 1

Glad you sorted your car dear boy.

Lovely doggo pic too. 🐶

The little fella is proper looking good kid. All that extra work is looking stunning. I really want to do a copter next. Might do that whirly bird. 🙈 until then I’ll enjoy this beauty. 🙌

Johnny.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

It wasn’t until you showed that mitre block that I got the full picture of how tiny this entire model is.  I have a mitre block exactly like that one, and it’s very small indeed.

Great work!

Thanks Crisp :) Not as tiny as your Ark Aircraft but still bad for the eyes!

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Gold lame interior, interesting.............

Terry

Nothing but the best for our lads :D 

I must learn about camera settings…

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Glad you sorted your car dear boy.

Lovely doggo pic too. 🐶

The little fella is proper looking good kid. All that extra work is looking stunning. I really want to do a copter next. Might do that whirly bird. 🙈 until then I’ll enjoy this beauty. 🙌

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny :) 

Do the Whirlybird - I think you'll enjoy it!

This afternoon Matthew I'm going to be Vacforming.

0.5mm PETg in the frame after chopping a 5" square off the sheet. Nice and clear eh?

49552276833_474e9d142f_z.jpg

Following Tony's advice I kept the sheet away from the heater - no more than half way up - and was fascinated to see 'ripples', albeit tiny ones, moving around the sheet.

This is probably the pre-heat people talk about?

Patience Ced, patience.

Then it did droop and BAM! Down with the frame and on with the suck.

I let it cool for a bit (do I need to do that?) and then lifted the frame:

49552784666_4a095083b8_z.jpg

It does get hot this machine - even the warning sticker is peeling off:

49552785641_aced3d9652_z.jpg

Anyway, here they are:

49552297368_3b8a005a61_z.jpg

I'd stuck the bucks down with Tak but this allowed the sheet to be sucked underneath:

49552307673_38573ae592_z.jpg

I don't think you can use this for 'shell moulds' because, of course, you have to cut the buck out.

Here they are with the kit version:

49552833251_71eb4f4e25_z.jpg

They don't look too bad there but on closer inspection:

49552846391_61c3c431c7_z.jpg

49553092337_062ab69b18_z.jpg

Proving Bill's reiteration of Steve's warning that you need a perfectly smooth buck.

Another lesson learned :) 

• Like 16

22 minutes ago, CedB said:

Proving Bill's reiteration of Steve's warning that you need a perfectly smooth buck.

Definitely. But that's easy to fix. Looking very promising, Ced :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Michael. I haven't checked the exchange rate recently but I wonder if you'd be prepared to swap some currency? Just as soon as my Kenyan Prince transfers that money he promised me :D

Oh, oh, ain't we all 'igh 'n mighty, eh? A Kenyan Prince, no less...

....the rest of us have to make do with your common-or-garden Nigerian ones...

• Haha 10

That’s a really great mould.  Surprised by the ruffled finish. It must have to be soooo smooth.  How will you smooth it off? Will you prime it?  Ooh all very exciting.

Jont. 
by the way it wasn’t the wine. He’s actually quite good at chess. 😇 to think I drank too much. Tsk. 🤣

• Haha 2

Funnily enough, although I've vac formed quite a few parts, I've only ever plunge molded canopies. More by chance than design.

I'd look around the forum and see what clear material is best ( for some reason petg sticks on my head, I have a number of sheets of clear material that is used to make blister packs it molds well, but I'm not sure what plastic it is) and maybe go again with the bucks and figure out how make smoother.

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, giemme said:

Definitely. But that's easy to fix. Looking very promising, Ced :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) I probably won't bother to improve these bucks unless I mess up the kit canopy - but I'll remember for next time and learn how to pour plaster!

19 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Oh, oh, ain't we all 'igh 'n mighty, eh? A Kenyan Prince, no less...

....the rest of us have to make do with your common-or-garden Nigerian ones...

:rofl2:

18 hours ago, keefr22 said:

And why I said the herculite polishes up nicely to leave a very smooth surface......  :tease:

K

Thanks Keith - I've learned my lesson! :) 

15 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Ced, that looks fine for a try. The thing is, that you should cooperate with Tony (The Baron) as he uses the same machine, I guess.

Cheers

Thanks Ben :) 

15 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Transport for the Chief-of-Staff.

Indeed! Gold Lame essential! :D 

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

That’s a really great mould.  Surprised by the ruffled finish. It must have to be soooo smooth.  How will you smooth it off? Will you prime it?  Ooh all very exciting.

Jont. 
by the way it wasn’t the wine. He’s actually quite good at chess. 😇 to think I drank too much. Tsk. 🤣

Thanks Johnny :) 

Next time I'll be more careful pouring the plaster to avoid bubbles then (I think) light sanding to get it shiny.

Good to hear the boy's good at Chess - so much better than X-Box!

9 hours ago, Marklo said:

Funnily enough, although I've vac formed quite a few parts, I've only ever plunge molded canopies. More by chance than design.

I'd look around the forum and see what clear material is best ( for some reason petg sticks on my head, I have a number of sheets of clear material that is used to make blister packs it molds well, but I'm not sure what plastic it is) and maybe go again with the bucks and figure out how make smoother.

Thanks Marklo :) The PETg I used is recommended here; it's harder to handle but better to mould apparently.

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I hope you’re persistence pays off, I would have given up by now.

You need to find a baby’s bottom to conduct a smoothness comparison. :bear:

Thanks John - I have given up (on the moulding) for now :) 

I won't be looking for any Babies' bottoms - I have to be DBS checked you know!

The new tools arrived yesterday but I was busy so only time for a little play. They're both as expected and will appear soon!

This morning I set up for soldering the top frame and the tail skid:

49555697293_403f95784c_z.jpg

Bottled out of actually getting the iron out.

I did stick some tube on some 0.5mm brass and used the new round pliers to make a control column:

49556246041_b3b2e3cc43_z.jpg

I'd intended to file the flat end to shape to represent the flat bit on the end of the column but…

49555756723_9f4876fb4a_z.jpg

…I think it's a bit too big.

I shall ponder.

I've decided to model the blades folded as I'm a masochist.

And to save space in the cabinet.

That meant I had to chop off two of the blade ends:

49555776443_8250a13c5f_z.jpg

…and then drill and file the ends to show the open hinges:

49555819168_cf55aec80d_z.jpg

Still tiny.

While I had them out, a pic of my file collection for Heather:

49556552232_7c4d9f1288_z.jpg

Standard set of 'too big' needle files bought before I knew what I needed but handy for roughing (blue handles)

Two sets of needle files bought from shows (blue ones first, red ones to add some shapes)

Riffler files underneath after Mr Fritag suggested they would help (they do)

Hobby Elements micro-files in the tube - I used one of the Sabre files to clean out the hinges after I'd sawed most of the waste out with the jeweller's saw. Thought I'd taken a picture of that. Ho hum.

The blue tube (top right) has the broaches in - still not sure what they're for!

• Like 9

Impressive!

I have a jeweler's saw winging it's way here as we speak.

Your fault entirely.

I think your pilot may have a problem seeing where he's going with that control column. Definitely requires a ponder.

Ian

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ian :) 

Jeweller's saw recommended by Tony - blame the Baron! I use it a lot now though, and cheap!

How about these?

49556855301_88611afa41_z.jpg

Gold, of course (ahem). Goes with the Lame interior.

Still 0.5mm rod but without the thick tube.

Looks OK to me?

I'll see if I have something to 'sleeve' the handles…

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, CedB said:

I'll see if I have something to 'sleeve' the handles…

No if they're tube squeeze them flat with pliers Ced... That way they increase in size and get a pattern embossed on them. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

Looking good! The engine braces look just the ticket. And I'm looking forward to the folded blades - will save a ton of space on the shelf (top tip - don't hang it from the ceiling!).

Vac forming is a question of getting used to it - getting anything out the first try is pretty good, and don't forget that Future hides a multitude of sins!

BTW You might want to review the control column height vs the top of the seat backs. They look a bit tall to me but I could well be totally wrong.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CedB said:

49555756723_9f4876fb4a_z.jpg

That one looks a challenge to fly, as I'm sure Crisp would agree!

I'd agree with Adrian on the height re the second attempt. Found this pic, might help, although you may already have it. I missed a bit of this build earlier!

Skeeter cockpit

Terry

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, perdu said:

Mr Dissolved Putty dip?

Neat trick Bill - I've given that a go (see below) :) 

Can I sand it when it's set?

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

No if they're tube squeeze them flat with pliers Ced... That way they increase in size and get a pattern embossed on them. 

Thanks Dennis - not tube these, it's rod :) Good idea though - plan B!

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking good! The engine braces look just the ticket. And I'm looking forward to the folded blades - will save a ton of space on the shelf (top tip - don't hang it from the ceiling!).

Vac forming is a question of getting used to it - getting anything out the first try is pretty good, and don't forget that Future hides a multitude of sins!

BTW You might want to review the control column height vs the top of the seat backs. They look a bit tall to me but I could well be totally wrong.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian :) 

In the cabinet, don't worry.

Don't worry about the height either - I haven't cut the bottoms yet.

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

That one looks a challenge to fly, as I'm sure Crisp would agree!

I'd agree with Adrian on the height re the second attempt. Found this pic, might help, although you may already have it. I missed a bit of this build earlier!

Skeeter cockpit

Terry

Thanks Terry - yep, have that pic (and some others from HAAF) :) 

Mr Dissolved Putty dip:

49558197991_2f418b4116_z.jpg

Seemed OK, although getting the required shape was a bit tricky:

49558199151_5d784670a2_z.jpg

I've done the collective handles too:

49558217766_a43c304bca_z.jpg

Can I sand it tomorrow?

Or do I need to be careful to get the shape?

I can always rub it off (fnaar!) and start again…

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Can I sand it tomorrow?

Or do I need to be careful to get the shape?

Sorry I didn't mention it before, I use CA+flour for that kind of job - trying to get  the right shape in the first place, but it's easily sanded in a few minutes, if need be.

Ciao

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Giorgio - good tip :) 

During my pre-bed session last night I tried brushing some more Mr Dissolved Putty on the controls - seemed to work OK and let me shape them a bit more.

I'll have a look later.

This morning I had some soldering mojo so I got my kit out:

49560227896_622eee1460_z.jpg

Tea optional.

I've forgotten the melting temp of my old solder so I left the temp as it was:

49560478962_054cc898b7_z.jpg

…and waited for the tip temp to match the setting.

And waited…

And waited…

Odd. 

I decided (early morning fuzz) that the sensor had probably failed and thought 'Oh well, I got it cheap. Press on'.

Bad idea.

Trying to get the tip tinned I set fire (yes, fire) to the cleaning pad:

49560480927_5981968dd4_z.jpg

…and the iron seemed 'quite hot'

49559770178_67a75c4a5e_z.jpg

(Wish I could get that finish on my jet pipes)

Now then, 'cos I'm lazy, I just wrap the wires around the box and chuck it back in it's packaging.

Bad idea.

I took out the plug to the iron, wiggled it and put it back in:

49560506702_0b10469a5a_z.jpg

Oops.

Well, that was a learning experience - more TLC needed on the kit.

Anyway, I was able to do the tail skid:

49560530537_b38ca381ba_z.jpg

(I'll shape the blob later) and test fit:

49560552887_8175b63b6d_z.jpg

Happy with that.

The top frame needs some fiddling, but pleased with that too:

49559814833_cabf1d2be1_z.jpg

It should touch the top of the bulkhead but too late now - you won't see it once it's painted anyway :( 

• Like 15