MikroMir 1/72 EE Canberra T17 .

Nice looking result. Nice to see it in another livery. 

I was wondering what was your experience is with the kit as I have it in the stash. I know there are issues with the dimensions but I am curious as to the engineering. 

Regards 

Brian

• Thanks 1

Here's a pseudo-review of my thoughts:

Built with ModeDecal set 72-085 for 1970s Green Grey camo for 360 Sqdn RAF.

Since 1977, when I was allowed to go inside a T17, on Air Cadet camp at RAF Wyton, I've wanted to build this version of Canberra.
I've build several other 1/72 Canberras, but the means to construct a T17 has eluded me - until now.
Thus I've eagerly anticipate getting my hands onto this kit, and the ModelDecal set - since MikroMir announced their Canberras in 2018.

So what about MikroMir, this is my first build of one of their kits - I didn't really know what to expect.  
I took some notes on the instructions as I went along.
The kit consists of superbly formed plastic parts, some etched detail - clearly also intended for other variants, decals - for the later hemp Canberra, and a painting mask.  Something I'd never seen before being a single glass piece for the upper fuselage, from where the ECM nose starts - right back level with the back of the nose gear bay.

No part numbers on the sprues.  Oh no -  rely upon the instruction sprue map,  very tedious to work with.
Some unused parts for other versions of Canberra.  Fuselage split at the bulkhead at rear of crew compartment.
My dislike of etch is recorded on the instructions, but was used on the pilot's seat - where it's very visible.
I'm unconvinced that the undercarriage bays assembled exactly according to the instructions.
I'd rather not have to saw off the very rear end of the fuselage - without very clear cutting guidance.
That bulkhead fuselage split itsn't well explained in diagram form, thus difficult to achieve properly.
That huge transparent cockpit part to fettle into the rest of the fuselage.
The wings are a simple butt-fit onto the fuselage - no location assistance, and definitely not the strongest of joints.
Vague fitment of engine intakes and exhausts to the wings with the attendant filling,  it's a miracle this kit made it into a single piece!

The undernose bump is a separate part, leaving a hole into which I planned to install the nose ballast.  Which could be completed after fitting the undercarriage.  Well that was the plan.
Undercarriage, I had to redrill the holes in the wheels to make them fit the axles properly.
Small squares of lead, with superglue - what could possibly go wrong.  Well this model would need a LOT of ballast.
And I succeded in getting some of it into that huge canopy.  Fortunately I was able to remeove it again  BUT
I had to admit defeat in the Battle of the Ballast - and fit a prop at the rear of the bomb-bay.  This being within the wing area, thus concealed from photos.
The Stage 21 of instructions, for fitting undercarriage has a printing omission.   NO part numbers mentioned  -  and I hardly noticed!

And so to the painting.  I was wanting the Green/Grey camo - hence the ModelDecal set.  This is well documented, and I scale copied the side views for airbrush masks.    
Rather small diagram of the planform scheme.   This is most similar to the RAAF B.20 option of the 1970s Airfix kit (which I've built) so scale-copied that for airbrush masks.
Airbrushed Humbrol 166 underside, 164 upper then 163 camo pattern.

And decals - what of those.  Well they omit the roundels.  Fortunately I had superb leftovers from an Airfix PR9 and used those.
My ModelDecals went down well over the grey, but silvered horribly over the green.   Loads of Klear used in fixing that.
A lot of the stencils ejection triangles, fuelling points from those Airfix leftovers.
The only bits of MikroMir decals that I used were the yellow walkways,  I just didn't trust those of ModelDecal by then.

Edited 2 days later, I've used the mask from the kit to complete the direct-vision panel in the canopy - and it worked beautifully!  Soft vinyl laser cut, offering a perfect fit, and no leaking or bleeding.

Final touch, that wire aerial from the port nose to the tail, very prominent on the real aircraft.  Nylon fishing line on the model, touched with a black loaded paintbrush, to make it more visible.

Re-reading this it must sound incredibly negative.  Which gives me an incredible feeling of triumph to have succeeded against such adversity.
Would I recommend this kit - Yes, but only to very experienced modellers.

Oh - and this kit provides a transparent nose piece, that might be compatible to replace its equivalent on that 1970s Airfix Canberra kit.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, petetasker said:

Canberra and loved Wyton

Me too, Pete. It was a regular first call on our round trip of East Anglia in the good 'ol days :). Of course you could also see Italian PD808s and German Hansas there on exercise days. Lovely :)

Martin

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Me too, Pete. It was a regular first call on our round trip of East Anglia in the good 'ol days :). Of course you could also see Italian PD808s and German Hansas there on exercise days. Lovely :)

Martin

Ours to - Straight down the A1 Alconbury, Wyton then on to Mildenhall, Lakenheath and all the others. I do miss them 

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Martin

Ours to - Straight down the A1 Alconbury, Wyton then on to Mildenhall, Lakenheath and all the others. I do miss them 

• 1 year later...

I managed to get one of the kits from the Ukraine! TODAY!  

Left the Ukraine 3500 minutes ago! according to the tracker!!

looks a nice set of parts..

Edited by ian fish
  • Thanks 1

What a beauty,..... I`ve got a soft spot for the T.17, maybe because of it joint RAF/RN use,..... and your model look great.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
16 minutes ago, cardiff guy said:

Love what you've done with the old girl. I'm just about to start one do you have any tips.

I posted my thoughts on the build on 3 Feb 2020 on this thread.  There's a lot of them.

Read all that, and enjoy your build.

• Thanks 1