Build & Play Aircraft Kits 1:100

Mike

Build & Play Kits

Revell

boxtop.jpg

Revell have a well-established Build & Play range, and we’ve reviewed a raft of their Star Wars offerings in the past.  They have a range of starter kits that have been released under different banners over the years, and have now been re-released under the Build & Play banner.  We’ve got four of them in for review, and although they’re not strictly speaking model kits to our understanding, they’re a great introduction to the world of modelling, and come in resealable foil bags with two sprues of styrene, a clear canopy part, some stickers and an instruction booklet.  They snap together using friction-fit turrets and tubes, but if you’re called in to help with the build a bit of liquid glue would ensure they’ll stay put during rough play.

Eurofighter (06452) 1:100

This little model is supplied in grey styrene, and consists of 21 grey parts and the canopy.  The landing gear all rotates in and out of the fuselage for landings and take off and the stickers are of the colourful 100 year anniversary scheme worn by ZK343 of 29th Squadron.

06452.jpg

bin.jpg

Tornado (06451) 1:100

Containing 19 parts in grey styrene plus the clear canopy, this kit also has moving landing gear and sweeping wings.  The stickers have a black tail with a tiger motif with the code 44+87 of the German air force.

06451.jpg

bin.jpg

Apache (06453) 1:100

With 26 parts in green styrene, plus a clear canopy, the stickers represent a Netherlands machine with a shark mouth on the nose and an Native American bust on the tail.

06453.jpg

bin.jpg

Tomcat (06450) 1:100

With 23 parts in grey plus a clear canopy, and stickers from the hi-viz days of the Jolly Rogers.  As usual the landing gear rotates, and so do the wings on this variable geometry fighter.

06450.jpg

bin.jpg

Conclusion

These kits are squarely aimed at young beginner modellers or kids that just want to play, and won’t be even slightly concerned about the simplicity of the models or the unrealistic landing gear etc.   Given how much fun my son has with this type of thing, it won’t matter a jot to the target audience as long as they can use their imagination and have a good time playing.

Highly recommended.

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers. For further information visit

logo.jpg t_logo-a.png or facebook.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know that some manufacturers have produced kits in 1:100 scale but I have never understood why it wasn't more popular - it seems to be an ideal size for larger aircraft compared to 1:72 whilst allowing more detail than 1:144.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Timbo88 said:

A great way to introduce new recruits to model making. They look pretty good too, especially considering their small scale.

Very true.  My son has built all of them now, and enjoyed himself so much that he's now moved on to "proper" kits, and has made a lovely job of a HB Me.262 and is half way through an old P-40 from Italeri, which he's not as keen on as it's a bit gappy in places.  He's also not keen on decals yet, and made me do them, so the stickers in these kits are a boon to impatient kids :)

Hobbyboss kits are a favorite of my son too. They are quite cheap, have relatively few parts and seem very solid, once constructed. I haven't noticed much in the way of new additions to their 'basic' range in recent years though.