Camouflaged Soviet AF L-29 and Ilyushin 28 ?

KRK4m

When looking at the volume-used (+500 pcs) WarPac single- and twin-engined tactical jets there is a very short list of those never (in my opinion) seen camouflaged in VVS service : MiG-9, MiG-19, Il-28, L-29, Su-9/11, and Yak-25/27.

Have you ever met the camouflaged (even in a single shade overall) Soviet L-29 and Il-28 during their service in VVS?

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m

On 2/2/2020 at 7:15 PM, KRK4m said:

camouflaged in VVS service : MiG-9, MiG-19, Il-28, L-29, Su-9/11, and Yak-25/27.

Have you ever met the camouflaged (even in a single shade overall) Soviet L-29 and Il-28 during their service in VVS?

MiG-9 ????

All MiG-9 VVS was in overall grey!

Grey/ Light blue MiG-19 from North relocated to East Germany shoot down RB-66. But I don't remember  probably it was naval MiG-19.

About Il-28, L-29 I'm not a expert, but was overall black IL-28 aka "Recce Canberra" for movie....as the story with the film "Case in square 36-20" sometimes shows, after the movie, the planes continued to be operated in a cinema-like color.

I brought this case here on BM.

Su-9/11....have one strange photo

I brought it in a topic about the build of the Su-9 at 48tn scale GB Warsaw pact v.s. NATO, on which it seems that the Su-9 overall grey.

Yak-25/27...don't know about interceptor, but as and with "black IL-28" similarly was with "Black Yak-25RV" aka "Gary Powers U-2" for movie.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hoped that if anybody answers this question it had to be YOU 😀

MiG-9 okay, so the same colour scheme as La-11, Yak-17 and Yak-11.

MiG-19 - I have never heard about that scheme. Grey over blue? Seems intriguing...

Su-9 - seems possible, as several MiGs described as NMF were in reality painted silver-grey.

Movie stars aren't interesting for me. Of course a black Il-28 would be THE hit if sporting red stars and tactical (bort) numbers.

And stiil nothing known about the L-29 😢

Cheers

Michael

3 hours ago, KRK4m said:

I hoped that if anybody answers this question it had to be YOU 😀

😁

3 hours ago, KRK4m said:

MiG-19 - I have never heard about that scheme. Grey over blue? Seems intriguing...

7211502.jpg

Red "27" with "kill mark". It's not a fantasy PrintScale because  was article in "Mir Aviatcii" magazine.

Also have photo painted MiG-19 with ordinary silver MiG-19.

3 hours ago, KRK4m said:

Su-9 - seems possible, as several MiGs described as NMF were in reality painted silver-grey.

Look at differences colour Su-9 and his under fuselage drop tank:

I think it's standard Soviet grey.

3 hours ago, KRK4m said:

Movie stars aren't interesting for me. Of course a black Il-28 would be THE hit if sporting red stars and tactical (bort) numbers.

It was not in vain that I mentioned a film "Case in square 36-20"

starring in the role of the P-3 Orion -  IL-38, which subsequently flew for some time in the ranks with the inscriptions "NAVY"  and US insignia scared people around. 😁😁 The same could be with the IL-28, 

all the more so when a photo of this Il-28 was shown in a topic on the Scalemodels.ru , there were people who claimed to have seen a similar plane at least a year after the shoot!

But maybe it's was other IL-28 for secret spy mission Cold War?

Who knows, who knows....

B.R.

Serge 

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2020 at 7:15 PM, KRK4m said:

and Yak-25/27

P.S.

Michael, how about Yak-25M with underfuselage drop tank?

Not camouflage, but something interesting & rare!

😉😎

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

Red "27" with "kill mark". It's not a fantasy PrintScale because  was article in "Mir Aviatcii" magazine. Also have photo painted MiG-19 with ordinary silver MiG-19.

I didn't say I don't believe - but you must admit that Hu 125 over pale blue cannot be called "typical" for the VVS.

I wonder why the new KzP MiG-19S dosen't include this scheme...

Look at differences colour Su-9 and his under fuselage drop tank:

Yes - the airframe surely is not left in natural metal. Although when I recall the MiG-collection of the Polish Aviation Museum there were only two of them (early MiG-15 and the -19PM) in NMF. All others (15bis, 15UTI, several 17s and all 21s) were painted with some kind of silvery light grey that looks almost matt in winter conditions (the visual effect you mentioned). Same applies to all Su-7s and Il-28s in Krakow museum. But maybe these Su-9s served up to 1980-81 when some kind of "air superiority grey" became already widespread among Soviet interceptors (MiG-23, MiG-25 and Su-15).

a film "Case in square 36-20"

BTW wasn't this square numbered 36-80 ?

Anyway, Serge, thank you so much for all these interesting facts concerning the VVS planes

Cheers

Michael

9 minutes ago, KRK4m said:

Hu 125 over pale blue cannot be called "typical" for the VVS.

Hu 125 over light blue it's fantasy PrintScale, b&w photo  do not allow identification of exact shades.

And ofcource it's atypical scheme for VVS.

13 minutes ago, KRK4m said:

But maybe these Su-9s served up to 1980-81 when some kind of "air superiority grey" became already widespread among Soviet interceptors (MiG-23, MiG-25 and Su-15).

It's hard to say for sure ... 

14 minutes ago, KRK4m said:

BTW wasn't this square numbered 36-80 ?

Correctly, yes, 36-80, I'm wrong, but I can’t remember

correctly all the numbers that I have ever seen or heard in my life!

😁

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Allegedly, during the 1988-94 Nagorno-Karabakh War, Armenia used L-29 Dolphins in some multi-colour (two greens and tan) camouflage.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7pt7UTkOXE4/XJvrzyKJHCI/AAAAAAAADdc/xU6V4Ic-sRcWRX9ytv-QicIp0soy7THgACLcBGAs/s1600/Aero%2BL-29%2B-%2BARM%2BAZB%2BCHE%2BGEO%2BLPR%2BRUS%2BUKR.png

But these planes no longer carried red stars. What is the chance that this camouflage was introduced on these planes even before the collapse of the USSR in 1991?

Cheers

Michael

• KRK4m changed the title to Camouflaged Soviet AF L-29 and Ilyushin 28 ?

Thanks Pantherhawk for being one of the very few to notice my question.

But I'm in exactly the same situation as you - so I haven't seen an Il-28 or a Delfin with Soviet stars in camouflage.

But I still (perhaps naively) hope that someone who has seen such a rarity will speak up.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is a profile I found on the Internet - take it as you will. The caption is for a different profile : "Yellow 05" was the plane of the regiment commander Colonel Mulyukin from the 277th BAP, operating in Stanislav (1953-54) and Brand (1954-1960). The source is Mir Aviatsiy 2003 01.

spacer.png

And then there is this picture that may be the "film stars" mentioned by @Aardvark

spacer.png

Edited by Bonehammer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/02/2020 at 20:15, KRK4m said:

When looking at the volume-used (+500 pcs) WarPac single- and twin-engined tactical jets there is a very short list of those never (in my opinion) seen camouflaged in VVS service : MiG-9, MiG-19, Il-28, L-29, Su-9/11, and Yak-25/27.

Cheers

Michael

Hello. The camouflage of the aircrafts in Soviet Air force had been introduced in mid-70's. And both L-29 and Il-28 were withdrawn from first-line aircrafts by that time, especially Il-28 which was used only in some special target-tug detachments. As for the L-29, it never got any camo scheme even in Higher military aviation schools of pilots.

• Like 1

@Yasa - we all know perfectly well that all L-29s were delivered to the USSR by the Czechs in the natural metal finish.

But after the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, almost all aircraft (with the exception of strategic nuclear bombers) became the property of the newly formed states (ex Soviet republics). And here the L-29s (e.g. in Armenia, but not only there) are frequently seen in camouflage.

And here the question arises whether this camouflage was introduced only by these new states, or was it introduced by the Soviet air force several months before the collapse of the Union?

Cheers

Michael

9 hours ago, KRK4m said:

@Yasa - we all know perfectly well that all L-29s were delivered to the USSR by the Czechs in the natural metal finish.

But after the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, almost all aircraft (with the exception of strategic nuclear bombers) became the property of the newly formed states (ex Soviet republics). And here the L-29s (e.g. in Armenia, but not only there) are frequently seen in camouflage.

And here the question arises whether this camouflage was introduced only by these new states, or was it introduced by the Soviet air force several months before the collapse of the Union?

Cheers

Michael

All the camo schemes used on L-29s were definitely introduced after the collapse of the USSR. In 80's the 'Delfins' were used only in some training regiments of Pilots High Schools (where they were actively replaced by L-39s) and in the DOSAAF training groups. In both places no camo schemes were used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1