F100D Super Sabre EC 2/11 Vosges (1:72)

Here is a an Italeri F100 D (1:72) straight out of the box finished as EC 2/11 Vosges in Toul 1975. Many of these French F-100 had a rather beat up appearance particularly those stationed in Djibouti. The colours were hand mixed and represent a best guess for the French equivalent SEA colours. Its my third F100 and there is another two in the stash so I reckon it will be either a Turkish or Taiwan up next or maybe a Wild Weasel. Like the plane and the kit despites its age is a pleasure to build and is in terms of over all accuracy far better than the Trumpeter kit.  

20200202_153607_zpsdkfhcb0u.jpg

20200202_153540_zpszydzscve.jpg

20200202_153524_zpslc7gnrsx.jpg

20200202_153654_zpsqcad2k3a.jpg

20200202_155012_zpsd3lq8ycb.jpg

Regards

Brian

• Like 56

That is very nice.  I saw several of the ex-French Huns at Sculthorpe in 1976 before they were scrapped and my only comment would be that most were considerably more weathered.  

Regards

Tim

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TimB said:

That is very nice.  I saw several of the ex-French Huns at Sculthorpe in 1976 before they were scrapped and my only comment would be that most were considerably more weathered.  

Regards

Tim

I was there too, Tim :). I dont think - it was a long time ago, though - that any were scrapped. Most went to  museums, fire dumps (e.g. Alconbury) or gate guards (e.g. Lakenheath).

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Thanks 1

Thats a nice F-100, Brian. I have a French one to do sometime to add to my two Turks and the Dane :). I agree, the Esci/Italeri is the one to go for. Despite have more detail, the Trumper is woefully inaccurate in many areas. 

Martin

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

. I dont think - it was a long time ago, though - that any were scrapped.

Hi, Martin, I also saw the scrapped pile!  In those days it was possible to drive onto RAF Molesworth on a Sunday, with no guards or barriers, and I can attest to a large pile of aluminium bits that included a lot of F-100 bits in French Air Force colours.  There were a lot of Mystere IVs and F-100s all paid for by the US under MAP, that were scrapped when the Mirage F-1 and Jags came in that were flown to Sculthorpe, had bits like the ejection seats removed and then were moved to Molesworth for disposal.  

Regards

Tim

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TimB said:

Hi, Martin, I also saw the scrapped pile!  In those days it was possible to drive onto RAF Molesworth on a Sunday, with no guards or barriers, and I can attest to a large pile of aluminium bits that included a lot of F-100 bits in French Air Force colours.  There were a lot of Mystere IVs and F-100s all paid for by the US under MAP, that were scrapped when the Mirage F-1 and Jags came in that were flown to Sculthorpe, had bits like the ejection seats removed and then were moved to Molesworth for disposal.  

Regards

Tim

I stand corrected :(. My old brain..... Sorry, Tim. Great days, eh! I remember being on the JFK in Stokes Bay in 1976 and the "hot" rumour - via friend Jon Bater - was that there were French Skyraiders due to Sculthorpe. Of course they never came :(. There were the Norwegian F-104s, too, on there way to Turkey :).

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Brian,

That's a beautifully executed Hun, I especially like the representation of the heat affected paint on the rear fuselage, very well done Sir!

Some of us had quite a discussion about French F-100 colours here, essentially they were meant to be the same shades as the American Vietnam era colours but were made by Celomar and thus had a different composition to their US equivalents and weathered to different shades, they certainly looked different and you've done a fine job of capturing them here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Brian,

That's a beautifully executed Hun, I especially like the representation of the heat affected paint on the rear fuselage, very well done Sir!

Some of us had quite a discussion about French F-100 colours here, essentially they were meant to be the same shades as the American Vietnam era colours but were made by Celomar and thus had a different composition to their US equivalents and weathered to different shades, they certainly looked different and you've done a fine job of capturing them here.

Hi Wez

Thanks for your remarks.

I was aware of the thread as I had searched here before committing to paint and actually reread the thread the other day before I posted the above. Very informative thank u. 

I MK 1 eyeballed the colours using mixes of Tamiya as base. Once the washes and layers of Klear go down the colours tend to shift naturally and I just play it by ear. Given the belaching evident on photos I knew there are only approximations of the 'right colour'.

Regards 

Brian 

• Like 2