1:48 F-86 Sabre.

Ron Pearcy

Hi. Does anyone know where I can get a Sabre here in the UK for a reasonable price.  Preferably in USAF colours.

There are some on eb** but silly prices/postage are being asked. I've looked on scalemates etc but most decent kits are out of stock.

Thanks in anticipation. 

Edited by Ron Pearcy
Typo.

46 minutes ago, Ron Pearcy said:

Hi. Does anyone know where I can get a Sabre here in the UK for a reasonable price.  Preferably in USAF colours.

There are some on eb** but silly prices/postage are being asked. I've looked on scalemates etc but most decent kits are out of stock.

Thanks in anticipation. 

Define a reasonable price? Try a wanted ad in our wanted section.  

I have one of these spare BTW http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Revell/Rev_Cl13_Sabre_BLw/Rev_Cl13_Sabre_BLw.html

PM me if of interest.

The model show season has recently kicked off and many modellers will have kits to dispose of, often at quite sensible prices.  Some traders also will knock a few bob off slow-moving stocks shows.  Be careful as some will inflate their prices and then offer "3 for 2" or "buy 3, cheapest's free" and you'll still wind up paying the equivalent of other traders' normal selling price anyway.

Alternatively you could wait for Airfix's promised Canadair Sabre 4 and get a set of after market decals.

On 02/02/2020 at 13:28, Troy Smith said:

Define a reasonable price? Try a wanted ad in our wanted section.  

I have one of these spare BTW http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Revell/Rev_Cl13_Sabre_BLw/Rev_Cl13_Sabre_BLw.html

PM me if of interest.

Sorry,what does PM mean.

The Academy kit pops up on eBay frequently for reasonable prices - virtually identical to the Hasegawa kit plus openable gun compartments.  Oh, and "PM" means the writer is inviting you to message him through the site messaging service.

13 minutes ago, Ron Pearcy said:

Cheers fellas, it crossed my mind about the Airfix kit but would that mark of Sabre have been used by the USAF.

Thanks again. 

They did use some, I believe they equated to the F-86E-6 version, @Sabrejet would know more.

• Like 1

The Revell kit is boxed as a Sabre 6 but is actually an F-86F-40. OOB you can't build it as an accurate Sabre 6, but the USAF did operate F-86F-40-configured Sabres so perversely you can do a USAF Sabre from the kit!

Daft eh?

• 1 month later...

The Sabre Mk 4 was, as best I recall, very similar to the F-86E-10. The Airfix kit ought to allow you to build a nice USAF Sabre.  The Canadair Sabres the USAF used in Korea (someone mentioned F-86E-6)  didn't have the flat center panel on the windscreen and I don't know of any company that makes a model that builds to that standard.

• Like 1