Comet Dalek build

49469972816_4fb9ccff91.jpg

49469976796_84ec04cd55.jpg49469486483_d192ebcdd8.jpg49469981861_61363ca89c.jpg49469490028_26fc8a001b.jpgMy first WIP  post , as there's been quite a few comet builds I'll only go over things that haven't perhaps been mentioned or done before , or hints and tips that may be of use to other model makers .
Firstly i used some knifing putty filler on the individual  skirt segments and then  did preliminary prep prior to assembly , which then got  reinforced before  applying  mr surfacer 500  and wet sanded. I found the foot pedicure sander invaluable on my first build so used it again , was really handy on the built up skirt as nice and flat so if used carefully did a great job of retaining the corners of each individual skirt plate.
The shoulders were assembled and filled with putty where the discrepancy is  on the seam. also filled the neck rings with mr surfacer

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I also added  strips of 2mm plasticard to the fender to raise it some , not sure on the final look of the build yet so  it may be altered to suit the particular look and height.  Used some oyumaru to create a  mold for the eyepiece as wanted to experiment drilling for washers or whatever other detail i may add  without destroying the supplied one .   Also replaced the neck rods with 1.8mm brass rod and made 1 deeper  pair of collars from 2 sets and made some appendages from ally tube

Edited by pockets
  • Like 1

FIrst coat of primer has gone on,  I used simoniz plastic primer cheaper and larger than halfords .Also  utilized one of the extra eyestalk discs that come with the kit if you're  building the mark 1 along with an M2 washer and  a small iridescent plastis disc  to create some detail for the eye, just have to embed them  in some milliput  should look pretty good and don't have to try and paint perfect dotsun circles.

49506869338_0db2f02f12_z.jpg49507592862_3c5c889277_z.jpg

Edited by pockets
  • Like 4

Love this kit, built one a couple years back and got another in the stash to do in a different colour scheme. Still on the lookout for a Movie Dalek that isn't selling for a silly price.

This looks great so far!

• Like 1

Thanks Kalista ,I managed to purchase  three of them at different times recently at between £40 and £50  , still quite pricey for what they are  . There seems to be quite a few about and not a week goes by without  at least one turning  up on fleabay. There's  one of those  flying skiffs up at the mo made to the same scale , think they were garage kits so probably quite a rarity , didnt know they existed until i saw one on here a while back.

Edited by pockets

Iv'e  colated building info from here and a few other sites and from some of your build diaries also Peteraifix which have been invaluable, and thank you and others for , also  have come up with a few ideas of my own which hopefully wil be  of some use to others .

As far as your build goes and my memory serves the build process are very similiar - I certainly recall the same process getting rid of the sink marks in the skirt. Furthermore get the 'skirt'right and everything follows.

I recall when they where new back in the mid '90s they were £25, so I guess £50 today is not too bad?

Tommo.

They  go for more generally on ebay , over enflated prices really because people pay up.  some of the buy it nows are quite high but you still get the odd  fair price or realistic bidding . i think the comet shop only closed in 2013 so there are quite a few of these kits about.

Edited by pockets

I think they first appeared in the Day Of the Daleks Peterairfix but i could be wrong , I think I'm gunna go for a  Death  to the Dalek type colour scheme but  not to bothered about complete authenticity , have you seen any of Mechmaster's builds they are things of wonder ?

Edited by pockets

22 hours ago, pockets said:

They  go for more generally on ebay , over enflated prices really because people pay up.  some of the buy it nows are quite high but you still get the odd  fair price or realistic bidding . i think the comet shop only closed in 2013 so there are quite a few of these kits about.

I have no real knowledge, I was just basing my figure on a cursory look on eBay, where there was a Film Dalek with buy it now for £55.

Anyhow, keep up the excellent work I can't wait to see yours finished.

Tommo.

• Like 1

Brush painted the dome lights with some silver base and over coated with tamiya orange clearcoat , much better than the revell red clear that was used on the movie build, that was opaque and pinky not impressed . Also brushed some revell satin on the shoulders which I'm gunna have to sand back as it either has minute airbubbles in it or micro bits ,   had the same issue with there gloss black on the skirt hemis and had to redo with some humbrol which went on a lot bettter and didnt go tacky imediately, also finished off the eyeball and stalk.

49559994133_b0c8244f5e_z.jpg49560725302_fdd4e7558e_z.jpg

Edited by pockets
  • Like 2