Why 1968?

Eric Mc

I see there has been an age limit set for the definition of 1968? I was just wondering why that particular year was chosen? I can sort of see why up to a point, 1969 was the year both the 747 and Concorde first flew, bringing in a new age of wide bodies and supersonics. But I think 1968 is a bit early for a cut off date. I'd suggest sometime in the mid 1970s as most of the designs up to around 1975 or so are no longer in commercial service (with the exception of the odd early 737, 727 or DC-9).

Or perhaps the definition of "Classic" should be a bit more flexible, with the criteria being that the aircraft is no longer in airline service.

I have been working (forever) on a 1972ish Aer Lingus Boeing 737-248. Under the new definition, that is now modern.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Mc said:

I see there has been an age limit set for the definition of 1968? I was just wondering why that particular year was chosen? I can sort of see why up to a point, 1969 was the year both the 747 and Concorde first flew, bringing in a new age of wide bodies and supersonics. But I think 1968 is a bit early for a cut off date. I'd suggest sometime in the mid 1970s as most of the designs up to around 1975 or so are no longer in commercial service (with the exception of the odd early 737, 727 or DC-9).

Or perhaps the definition of "Classic" should be a bit more flexible, with the criteria being that the aircraft is no longer in airline service.

I have been working (forever) on a 1972ish Aer Lingus Boeing 737-248. Under the new definition, that is now modern.

You beat me to it Eric, I was going to ask the very same question, 1968 appears a little arbitrary to me. I know if you ask hundred different folk, you would get a hundred different defintitions of 'classic', but I'm struggling with 1968, given BEA and BOAC and a host of smaller operators span pre and post 1968.

I could understand 1970, fifty years ago. But as this is Britmodeller 1974 to my mind it would have made more sense and been the logical differentiator as that is when BOAC, BEA, Cambrian et al were amalgamated to form BA.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

1 hour ago, Greg B said:

Well, its from a suggestion. Link

I would say that 1969 being the first flight of the Jumbo is a reasonable enough line to draw in the virtual sand. 

Makes sense, but I would suggest perhaps aircraft from the late 60s to 70s that aren't still in service (Concorde for example) aren't included in modern. 

Plenty of opinions going around by the looks of it, so whatever the admins decide to stick with. I do like an absolute date being put on it though rather than more arbitrary categories

pros and cons for all dates.  All it is, is a line in the virtual sand. And I think we will leave it there as no-one has time for this when you really should be modelling.....

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

• Greg B locked this topic