1/72 VFA-84 Jolly Roger, Baby One more time

Hi Guys,

F-14 has to be one of my favorite aircraft, I have built couple of it but I know it wasn't that good so why not give another shot, so Baby One More Time. The kit, I use was the the Fujimi, I have to say it is truly a masterpiece for it has been released sometime ago. I really enjoyed building it. The kit doesn't have any flaws at all fitting went just smooth. If I have to rate this kit I did give 9/10 one mark less cause it is bit hard to get, tho you can get it but seem to be out of stock all the time. No surprise on that. 
Painting well it is just trial and errors I use 2-3 types of paint and hope it is closed to the real bird. I choose to built as Jolly Roger, cause I always like the Skull and the Bones markings.

I am still in my learning curve in scale model, hope I have a decent job on this model. All feedback are welcome. 

Cheers

DSC-6983.jpg

DSC-6986.jpg

DSC-6988.jpg

DSC-6989.jpg

DSC-6991.jpg

DSC-6992.jpg

DSC-6996.jpg

DSC-6998.jpg

DSC-6999.jpg

• Like 24

20 hours ago, Robert_ said:

Fabulous- looks really great and hard to believe its 1/72. 

Thank you, Mate, I do most of the times 72 scales due to limited spaces.

16 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Really nice Tom, a very handsome looking Tomcat. You're right, they do look good in this scheme.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, really appreciate the kind words. Yeah, the marking is quite visible and I might do the 80s one too

16 hours ago, br60066 said:

Looks great I especially love the shading and weathering you've done. F-14's just don't look right unless they are absolutely filthy 😛

Thanks, Bud. Yeah the grey ones tends to be dirty, I am planning to repaint an old Academy F-14 to 80s one, just the canopy is messed up and looking for a spare one.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2020 at 7:41 AM, Sky Keg said:

You have done the Tomcat proud my friend!!!!  Outstanding and superb!!!!!

On 2/4/2020 at 5:49 PM, F-32 said:

Super work!

On 2/5/2020 at 12:15 AM, almac said:

Splendid work. Good to know the Fujimi Tomcat is a good kit as I’ve got a couple in the stash.

Cheers Allan 

14 hours ago, TonkaGuy said:

Perfect build. Thanks for sharing 

On 2/4/2020 at 3:37 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Ah, Tom, another Tomcat memory :) (from 1980). A nice build, mate.

Martin

Thanks, you Gents, really appreciate the kind words, Cheers
dsfjkltuyioityjh.jpg
Finally was able to restore my old messed up F-14A from parts from Fujimi kit leftover and some parts were scratch built, 80% fully restored. Will upload more pictures soon.

• 11 months later...

Hi,

another great build of a great aircraft.

It looks fantastic, but I have to say that I  am a sucker for grey over white schemes. That's just me.

Although your painting ability is way superior to mine, as far as weathering is concerned, I believe that systematically lightening the center of panels does not reflect reality, nor does it bring much, especially on a plane like the F-14, with a high number of small panels. In my eyes it tends to end up looking like a chess set.

Having said that, this comment does not detract from the quality of your build.

Congratulations.

JR

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi,

another great build of a great aircraft.

It looks fantastic, but I have to say that I  am a sucker for grey over white schemes. That's just me.

Although your painting ability is way superior to mine, as far as weathering is concerned, I believe that systematically lightening the center of panels does not reflect reality, nor does it bring much, especially on a plane like the F-14, with a high number of small panels. In my eyes it tends to end up looking like a chess set.

Having said that, this comment does not detract from the quality of your build.

Congratulations.

JR

Thank you Jean, for the constructive feedback and really appreciate it. I guess weathering is bit of personal taste. I know what you meant and I totally agree with you. However, for me I build models for fun and try to make it look like the real aircraft but it is out of my skill levels as I am just a mediocre builder

• Like 1