Phoenix kits DH.1 and DH.6

Admiral Puff

I see that the Big H has two kits by this company - a DH.1 and a DH.6 - for sale. I've never heard of the company before, and Scalemates hasn't been all that helpful. From the appearance of the mouldings they both look to have been mastered by the late, great Joe Chubbock - can anyone confirm, please?

I built a vac-form DH1 by Phoenix, in tandem with a scratch built one, both in 1/72 scale. The Phoenix kit is pretty old I think, and pretty crude but accurate. . The engine, props and wheels were vac-formed rather than white-metal or resin as more recent vac offerings, and were replaced. The scratch-built one gave a more satisfactory result, I think

You'll find the build on here maybe a couple of years ago.. Link below. Ialso posted the finished model on a separate page.
I saw their DH6 once recently on ebay, but decided against buying and began renovating my scratch-built DH6 from 45 years ago instead!

I built the DH6 about 30 years ago and it was not bad. The parts were well formed and fitted together. Wing and tail were all single surface and the wings from what I remember needed some care to ensure a reasonable aerofoil section. Aeroclub did packs that had engines etc for some of them, of course they will be long gone now. I will see if I still have model somewhere. They were a bit basic, but Joe seemed to be reasonable with getting right shapes. 

9 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

I see that the Big H has two kits by this company - a DH.1 and a DH.6 - for sale. I've never heard of the company before, and Scalemates hasn't been all that helpful. From the appearance of the mouldings they both look to have been mastered by the late, great Joe Chubbock - can anyone confirm, please?

Joe Chubbock usually signed his moulds with his initials and the year of production, eg a vacform sheet with JC87 was mastered by him in 1987. Without digging them all out, I think all the Phoenix models I have (most of the British ones) were mastered by Joe. I'm not sure but I think he owned the company, and the masters passed to Blue Rider after his death?

Some (most? all?) of the Blue Rider vacform masters were produced by Joe and he did work for other companies as well.

He had links with Aeroclub who provided white metal parts for some of his kits, so @John Aero will hopefully be able to give some more detail?

I'm not sure why you think Scalemates hasn't been helpful, it lists most of the Phoenix kits?

One of the first vac companies I came across doing mostly WWI. For the day, they were excellent, especially when they stared to regularly include metal parts and decals. Very similar to Joystick. I' recommend them. Most of their subjects are still not covered, except by other vacs, or resins, (some of which are more iffy than the iffy-est of Phoenix).

Paul.

Joe was behind a myriad of small companies in that he either did the masters, or they were done under his tuteledge. Joe used to hold personel pattern making classes at his small flat in Wimbledon. I'm trying to think of many of the persons names involved at this moment in time, (put it down to age), However the companies were, Akita, Formaplane, Phoenix, Scaleplanes, Expo Models, Libra, Joystick, Roseplane and I think some Esoteric, though most patterns were by Jim Wood and Gordon Stevens.  I don't recall Joe ever owning any of these businesses, but he was ever helpful.  He was an ex Para IIRC, more used to falling out of aeroplanes.

I either supplied metal parts to a number of these companies or we aimed parts of our range to support them.

I still have one of Joe's 4H pencils of which the lead was chisel shaped and this is what he used to engrave his panel lines into the Lime wood fuselages. The wings he did with plasticard sheet and the ribs were done by scoring with a scalpel and then running a finger nail along them to just close the ridge.  Somewhere I've got a couple of his original patterns.

Oh dear another dose of pull up a bl**dy sandbag.

John

No doubt this info will end up on the detestable Scale Mates (IMO).

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry I've taken so long, but here's what you get.

49659453546_cf1f7325fd_z.jpg

49659453381_48b1e1951d_z.jpg

49659731142_5068119002_z.jpg

49659731012_e96095d936_z.jpg

49658912053_175b7cc667_z.jpg

49658912008_97b9bf200c_z.jpg

49659730712_4bd2106cf3_z.jpg

49659452896_0f36e588a3_z.jpg

49659453611_effd5a9995_z.jpg

I hope that helps.

I have a few more Phoenix kits including the Otto Doppeldecker and Caudron G.IV. They all look pretty good but I'd need to compare them to drawings to state with any certainty how accurate they are.

Ian

• Like 1

Ian, yes, recognise those. IIRC these were two originally issued without metal parts, and maybe not decals either. Usually accurate by the plans of the time, but in some cases the older plans have turned out a bit misleading. When I returned to modelling in 1999 there was a large stock of these, along with Blue Rider, Joystick, and a few others at the LHS ------------ which actually was LHS, the Luchtvaarthobbyshop, dangerously close to where I lived in the Netherlands.

Didn't know Phoenix did a Caudron G.4 - I've gone a funny green colour now.

Paul.

• Like 1