Jump to content

1/32 - Douglas D-558-2 Skyrocket resin kit by JETMADS - in design - release early 2021


Homebee
 Share

Recommended Posts

After the D-558-I Skystreak (link & link) Jet Model Aircraft Design Studio (JETMADS) is to release a 1/32nd Douglas D-558-2 Skyrocket resin kit - ref. 355821

Source: https://www.jetmads.com/product-page/1-32-d-558-ii-skyrocket

 

Quote

We have many other exciting projects in the pipeline, but which aircraft other than the D-558-2 Skyrocket would be a natural follow-up to the Skystreak?

The Skyrocket kit in 1:32 scale, like the Skystreak, is planned as a limited edition of 500 kits. Whether "all-rocket" or "rocket & jet" version to be released first is still undetermined.

Our design team has currently finished CAD works of the model, only with some fine tuning left to go.

For release dates, pre-order discounts and latest updates please follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter.

 

4c5f9c-58d47e6946484c709411f31d51b4ac0b-

V.P.

 

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very nice indeed!  Have yearned for a bigger scale Skyrocket ever since reading William Bridgman's The Lonely Sky. A desert island must.

Anyone know what the price will be for this kit? 

 

Unfortunately the suggested social media sites are outside my normal behaviour pattern. Is there a JETMADS website?

 

Thanks for the news — much appreciated.

 

Tony 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tony.t said:

 Is there a JETMADS website?

 

Tony 

Tony

 

its linked in Homebees first post above.  Click on that and it takes you there.  They have some tasty releases planned.  lets hope they reach fruitition.  A 1/18 Skyhawk, Dragonfly or F-5 anyone???  Or a 1/48 B-47 Stratojet, Fiddler or Neptune perhaps?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tony.t said:

Very nice indeed!  Have yearned for a bigger scale Skyrocket ever since reading William Bridgman's The Lonely Sky. A desert island must.

Anyone know what the price will be for this kit? 

 

Unfortunately the suggested social media sites are outside my normal behaviour pattern. Is there a JETMADS website?

 

Thanks for the news — much appreciated.

 

Tony 

I've preordered the Skystreak at 128 USD, with 20% preorder discount and now it is 160 USD at list price. Skyrocket is about the same size and if it comes with about the same number of pieces, one can assume it should be within the same price range with the Skystreak, and I'm only guessing :hmmm:

Website is at www.jetmads.com

 

Ricardo

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, for two: One, for seeing a Skyrocket in 1/32 scale, which is amazing. And two, for Jetmads moving over to their next announced release which is very promising given their future release list. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5 February 2020 at 4:13 PM, JohnT said:

Tony

 

its linked in Homebees first post above.  Click on that and it takes you there....

 

Thanks, but not me. Maybe it's my 7yr old iPad 2. All very blank screen.

 

Will try again next week when iPad 2 steampunk might intersect with it.

 

Tony 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, tony.t said:

 

Thanks, but not me. Maybe it's my 7yr old iPad 2. All very blank screen.

 

Will try again next week when iPad 2 steampunk might intersect with it.

 

Tony 

 

Tony

know where you are with that. My PC takes 5 mins to get up to a head of steam as the old boiler needs stoking up to boil the water in the mornings 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That IS cool!! Nice to see their future release list coming to life... This would look nice together with the Skystreak on my shelf. Is there any clue as to which version of the Skyrocket will be released? Scott Crossfield's Mach 2 plane would be so nice to have in the first place. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/8/2020 at 11:09 PM, mtkrl92 said:

That IS cool!! Nice to see their future release list coming to life... This would look nice together with the Skystreak on my shelf. Is there any clue as to which version of the Skyrocket will be released? Scott Crossfield's Mach 2 plane would be so nice to have in the first place. 

Their website says "Whether "all-rocket" or "rocket & jet" version to be released first is still undetermined.", which I take both versions will be released sometime but it is no clear (or not announced yet) which one is the first to come. Mach 2 plane would make a great display with a S.Crossfield photo indeed. I am impatiently waiting for the two Skystreak kits I've preordered and if they are really as good as the expectations, I'll go for the Skyrocket too as these type of aircraft in such scale are real rarities. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I knew it :clap2:

 

I'm so happy to see that... Scott Crossfield is one of my heroes in aviaton. He's not only a distinguished test pilot but also an aeronautics engineer. He not only flew aircraft but also was the part of the design crew, so one can say he designed what he flew firsthand. Very impressive career for an aviator, simply to be envied. I will buy this Jetmads kit when it comes out, build it and place it in showcase with great pleasure. 

That's so cool Jetmads, keep'em coming :goodjob:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good. all-rocket version is fine. But the jet & rocket version is a better looking airplane imho, if only looks would matter, with the air intakes and possibly with all the RATO bottles. But you wouldn't see these on the Crossfield aircraft...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/5/2020 at 8:02 PM, RicardoD said:

I've preordered the Skystreak at 128 USD, with 20% preorder discount and now it is 160 USD at list price. Skyrocket is about the same size and if it comes with about the same number of pieces, one can assume it should be within the same price range with the Skystreak, and I'm only guessing :hmmm:

Website is at www.jetmads.com

 

Ricardo

 

Skyrocket is about 2.5 longer than the Skystreak, excluding the expensive pitot which is also about another 2 meters and that makes the Skyrocket about at least 4 meters longer than the Skystreak. So it may have a different price tag if size is a definitive factor in pricing,  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Yes, definitely. Given the brand approach it will probably receive all the detail it deserves. I wonder if any fuselage details would be added, ie open panels etc. All the pressure tanks and test equipment under the hood would make a great display.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, IvanVasili said:

I wonder if any fuselage details would be added, ie open panels etc. All the pressure tanks and test equipment under the hood would make a great display.

That's a good point, I also think there's a great potential there. The problem may be the relatively limited number of modelers who want that. Making these details included in the standard packing would probably mean extra cost for those who are not interested in such detailing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Source: https://www.facebook.com/JETMADS2016/posts/719105009011787

Quote

Thinking that it is an attractive and complementary element of the scene, we decided to include the service trailer of the D-558-2 Skyrocket in the box as a standard offering.

We wish to thank Mr Tony Landis for his generous and friendly contribution of numerous unpublished visual references, inspiring and enabling us to design a more detailed kit of the Skyrocket.

The addition of the service trailer will move the D-558-2 Skyrocket a bit forward in 2021, therefore we have replaced it with another appealing subject before the X-3, soon to be announced...

 

129934510-719104762345145-60279166269886

 

V.P.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...