1/48 Hasegawa B5N2 Kate. Zuikaku 1944

Hi there,

This is my 1/48 Hasegawa Nakajima B5N2 Kate from the 601st Naval Flying Group based on the IJN carrier Zuikaku in Spring 44.

A really fun build with the addition of an Eduard canopy mask set. It would have been much less fun without with all that glazing.

Tamiya and Mr Hobby paints with silver pencil chipping.

Love the torpedo designed offset to miss the oil cooler?

Built a while back.

Thanks for looking.

Rick

48115837858_ca3754b906_b.jpg

49473769728_930bf859a2_b.jpg

48115805716_5afc11e7c7_b.jpg

990CDA86-AF58-46E9-900B-995DD4709CE1

49474253546_914897438d_b.jpg

48115805676_cae556615c_b.jpg

• Like 48
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Baldy said:

Beautifully finished Kate. Love the way you have produced all those minute scratches. Is that done with pencils or brushwork?

Cheers

Malcolm 

Thanks for kind words Malcolm. Just a silver pencil. I have had it years. You need to Matt down the paint to get it to grab, then I like to lock it in with a semi gloss finish. I think semi gloss generally looks more convincing as painted alloy than a flat finish.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, gryphon28 said:

Thanks for kind words Malcolm. Just a silver pencil. I have had it years. You need to Matt down the paint to get it to grab, then I like to lock it in with a semi gloss finish. I think semi gloss generally looks more convincing as painted alloy than a flat finish.

Looks great - thanks for the tips.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gryphon28 said:

Going over the chipping with another coat also tones the shine down, which I think really helps blend it all together and make it believable!

Excellent work all around. It almost seems as if you could hop right in and fire it up.

One suggestion, if I may... the exhaust looks like you painted the whole thing a rust color. It sticks out a bit, I’ve found painting the exhaust a burnt iron color, then dry brushing with rust yields excellent results. In your hands I have no doubt it would look 10x better.

Thanks for sharing your build!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RadMax8 said:

Going over the chipping with another coat also tones the shine down, which I think really helps blend it all together and make it believable!

Excellent work all around. It almost seems as if you could hop right in and fire it up.

One suggestion, if I may... the exhaust looks like you painted the whole thing a rust color. It sticks out a bit, I’ve found painting the exhaust a burnt iron color, then dry brushing with rust yields excellent results. In your hands I have no doubt it would look 10x better.

Thanks for sharing your build!

Thank you for your kind words and I totally take on board your comments re the exhaust. Looking back it’s the least convincing part of the build so I will definitely be trying your suggestion 👍

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, woody37 said:

I’m not particularly a fan of the Japanese stuff, but can’t help admiring this, beautiful paintwork and I’m coming round to things with red circles on them now!

Next stop a compass cutter and away you go 👍🏻