Xtradecal or Caracal?

Wayne87

I have numerous  decal sheets form both brands, and they are excellent in quality and, for the most part very accurate in their colors and representations. I don't think you can go wrong with either company's products, but Xtradecals does have a more extensive  assortment to choose from, and Kursad at Caracal is more devoted to postwar subjects.

Mikke

Caracal is Cartograf printed, probably hard to top the print quality here...

Compare the 2 sheets!

Is there stencelling detail on one you wanna have?

Nicer instructions?

Ease of getting them?

Price incl shipping?

You will find your way!

I have the Caracal ones and they are nice!

Edited by exdraken

I also have numerous sheets from both brands.  

Xtradecal are generally good, but their accuracy seems to depend on who drew them.  Some of them are excellent, but others are quite obviously really wrong.  Their foreign Hunter sheet is a prime example.  Not only do they perpetuate the myth of DG/DE/Sky Hunters (that never existed), but they got the proportions of the roundels completely wrong.  Interestingly, you can find an .svg file (a vector art file format) for the inaccurate roundel on Wikipedia, which tells me that’s exactly where the artist lifted it from.  You really need to do your own research if you are using an Xtradecal sheet to be sure you are getting an accurate sheet.  

Caracal are excellent, although it is my opinion that many of his ink colors are far too dark.  This is particularly true of modern US subjects, where the colours of the insignias (the blue and red) are laughably too dark.  The Insignia Red looks like the bottom of a battleship hull.  And the blue is basically black.  Several of the USAF subjects from him that I have are (IMHO) unusable for that reason.  That seems to be because he is having the printer exactly match the FS595 standard, which on a small scale model is far too dark.  It’s a pity, because the artwork itself is very good.  Also, you have to be careful of his research on the profiles.  His Combat Lancer F-111A sheet calls out the belly as being black, and it wasn’t, it was FS34079 green.  He is perpetuating some long persistent myths with a lack of original research there as well.

9 hours ago, NorthBayKid said:

Also, you have to be careful of his research on the profiles.  His Combat Lancer F-111A sheet calls out the belly as being black, and it wasn’t, it was FS34079 green.  He is perpetuating some long persistent myths with a lack of original research there as well.

I think there is a misunderstanding here. Here are two photos of the Caracal Models CD48139 F-111A instruction sheet. 

f111a.jpg

f111b.jpg

Edited by CaracalModels
  • Like 2