Early M-51 Sherman.

Bullbasket

6 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Also, another good place to look is the IDF Modelling site. It's run by an ex IDF tanker. This is the web address;

http://www.idf-modelling.com/forum/

HTH's

Thanks John. I found the IDF site through your link, but there doesn't appear to be a means of registering to enable me to log in. It looks like maybe they are not taking any new members?

Terry

Super Sherman, super job John, as ever. It just looks right, simple as. 

The covers, the stowage, the little bits and pieces that all add up.

Never really considered Israeli "stuff" before and I've no idea why not.... this is marvellous. :hmmm:

Cheers 

Darryl 

12 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I've seen some extensive tables on web showing wartime developed versions and differences but I wonder, is there a simply explained, definitive table that shows Israeli variants and sub variants

As Bullbasket said, simple answer is no. Many books on the subject: Tom Gannon's being most succinct and affordable, with apologies to Dr Robert. If you want to model IDF Shermans you really need a book. 

As far as major versions are concerned I could probably pull a list together. I have about a dozen in my build stash that I've already researched.  Although I'm steering clear of the original 75mm tanks because they're not really any different to any other OD Sherman apart from the markings.  The big problem is the almost infinite number of combinations of parts used, not all factory original to type.  So even within a sub-type, say small hatch cast hull M51, they are not all the same. Close enough was good enough.

Let's not forget that they used parts of every M4 variant produced, except direct vision types and the short-run A6. And not necessarily in their original combinations. And even the M4A4, the most homogenous type, had over 80 possible production variations over time. Others had more.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Thanks John. I found the IDF site through your link, but there doesn't appear to be a means of registering to enable me to log in. It looks like maybe they are not taking any new members?

Every so often, they close the site to new members, but if you sign up to receive an email, they will notify you when they will be taking on new members. BTW. It's not run by an ex IDF tanker, but a Kiwi, although the tanker is a prominent member on there and is very knowledgeable on all things IDF.

John.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Super Sherman, super job John, as ever. It just looks right, simple as. 

The covers, the stowage, the little bits and pieces that all add up.

Never really considered Israeli "stuff" before and I've no idea why not.... this is marvellous.

Thanks Darryl. Once I tried building IDF stuff, I got hooked, although I'm not so mush a fan of Merkava's.

John.

• Like 1