Early M-51 Sherman.

Bullbasket

Hi John, it's looking really good now, all the extra etch parts and chains really lift it, the .50 is a miniature work of art.

Always thought the S Sherman looked a bit out if proportion with the incredible long barrel, knowing now't about them which/who's gun did they use?

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

This is coming together just beautifully. All this PE and scratchbuilding just keeps adding up. PE wise I've never really ventured beyond sherman headlight guards, schurzen and grilles but this makes me reconsider.

Cheers,

Ernst

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Always thought the S Sherman looked a bit out if proportion with the incredible long barrel, knowing now't about them which/who's gun did they use?

Thanks Jasper. The M51 used the French CN-105-57 which I believe was the gun used in the AMX-30, but they had to shorten it down from 56 calibre to 44. There were other changes made such as the muzzle baffles and the cartridge charge. So that gun that you see in the M51 has been cut down in size!

John.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Badder said:

So, I am even more puzzled as to how you manage to make such small mods and then stick them on! So, come on, show me your tool (ooh er) I mean, a couple of photos of what you use to hold the part, how you hold it, how and when you apply the glue and then bring the part to fix correctly to the model?

I ask that because during the .m4a3' GB,  it took me an hour and about 30 attempts just to stick one headlamp's brush guard in place!

The .50 cal is looking super fresh, and those chains on the mortar? cups... wow! Are they mortars or smoke grenade launchers?

Thanks for the comments Badder. Growing old can be a right royal PITA at times.

Yes, I think that they are smoke grenade launchers. That's another thing that bugs me. A failing memory that prevents me from remembering the words that I want.

Give me a few hours and I'll post some photos of the tools that I use for PE.

John.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hamden said:

Nice extra detail as we've come to expect from your builds, looking forward to seeing this in paint

Roger

11 hours ago, Vaastav said:

I spotted something that would be of special interest to you John, but refrained from posting pictures as I was unsure if it would be hijacking or not.

However with your go ahead I will post photos of it.

Hint- Its Sherman related......

7 hours ago, Ernst said:

This is coming together just beautifully. All this PE and scratchbuilding just keeps adding up. PE wise I've never really ventured beyond sherman headlight guards, schurzen and grilles but this makes me reconsider.

Cheers,

Ernst

Thanks very much for the comments. I always enjoy building this kit, and it helps that it is a good kit to build with very few vices................except for that ancient .50 cal MG!

John.

1 hour ago, Kris B said:

Nice job. Metal barrel on 0.5 inch looks stunning.

Thanks Chris. Those RB barrels are really good. The model is in self isolation at the moment while I finish a shelf queen, then I'll get on with the painting.

John.

• Like 1

On 22/03/2020 at 09:32, Terry1954 said:

Really coming together now John, with some superb detailing.

Terry

Thanks Terry for the comments. Much appreciated.

John.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

WOW!! Absolutely superb additional detailing John - as always. It really is coming together beautifully.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix. When I finished the turret, I said that it was ready for painting. Wrong! I still had to add the tow rope (done), and the stowage (half done). So it'll be a couple more days yet.

John.

• Like 1

Well, I thought that I was finished with the build, but I needed to add some items before painting. First I added some stowage to the back. This was made up of a piece of balsa wood wrapped in blue towel roll and tied with some cotton. I fixed this to the folding stowage shelf and then made up a roll of tarpaulin from kitchen towel, soaked in PVA glue. The Israelis carried some unique stowage on their tanks which I can only surmise as being bedding rolls. They look like slices of Swiss jam roll. Again, these were made from kitchen towel and all of the items were tied with cotton. I also added a camnet just to fill some space, and the tow rope.

2c3c240d-68f3-4441-a269-e8b08eb3c89d.JPG

86f9efbf-79cb-42da-9cc6-0e73ed8ceab7.JPG

On the front, right track guard I added a 5 gallon oil can, after replacing the handle with one made from scrap etched brass. I'm going to have to do something about that hairy string!

ff365be0-bbb1-4510-8426-a8d2e78ba9b3.JPG

The tanks ID markings were often carried on pieces of canvas, tied to the front sides of the turret. To make these, I cut small squares of pewter foil, drilled holes in the four corners, threaded some cotton through the holes, folded and creased them, and then super glued them to the turret. The cottons were tied around the smoke mortar brackets and the lifting eye on the mantlet. It’s going to be fun painting these markings by hand!

6e9cf90a-ae8a-48ad-acb9-24ebacd767d7.JPG

134f9b36-56a6-4bdf-8d0e-c8d172440134.JPG

Finally, some crew satchels were hung from the rail that runs around the turret bustle. These came from the Tamiya M4A3 kit and had to be filled at the rear as they were hollow. I also added some thin strips of pewter foil for the attachment straps.

d4c07759-7b91-4301-b75b-2a9b0ca376a0.JPG

Now that really is the end of this build. Hopefully I can get some paint on this, but I've run out of my favourite Halfords grey primer. I've got a can of white, but I'm not keen on that, so I'll try Tamiya matt black.

Thanks for looking.

John.

• Like 9

John the M51 is looking fantastic can't wait to see the paint go on......can i ask where you got the chain from on the smoke dischargers. Could do with some for the Tiger.

Edited by M3talpig

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

John the M51 is looking fantastic can't wait to see the paint go on......can i ask where you got the chain from on the smoke dischargers. Could do with some for the Tiger.

Many thanks for the comments. The chain came from Tank Workshop in the States. They do various sizes. The one on the smoke dischargers is medium, so I assume that there is a finer version.

http://www.tankworkshop.com/newshop/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=tvedca8rvofs5i30knd8piiqr6&keyword=chain

John.

• Thanks 1

Hi John Well done. Very nice the tactical support hung on turret!

For the hair effect try to cover it with cianoacrilic glue or vinilic glue

Ciao

Filippo 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Many thanks for the comments. The chain came from Tank Workshop in the States. They do various sizes. The one on the smoke dischargers is medium, so I assume that there is a finer version.

Thank you Mr Basket i appreciate the links ....will follow the progress on this if you don't mind ...do love the M51:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Tiger said:

Brilliant build work John. The stowage applied looks really good and I’m looking forward to seeing some paint added to Sherman.👍

Many thanks Kevin.

John.

15 hours ago, Phil1960 said:

Hi John Well done. Very nice the tactical support hung on turret!

For the hair effect try to cover it with cianoacrilic glue or vinilic glue

Ciao

Filippo 

Thanks Filippo. I'm going to try and paint the string with some diluted PVA glue.

John.

15 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Thank you Mr Basket i appreciate the links ....will follow the progress on this if you don't mind ...do love the M51:thumbsup:

You're very welcome.

John.

16 hours ago, PlaStix said:

:gobsmacked: Such impressive detailing again John! I hope you and yours are keeping well.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix. Yes we're all fine here at the moment. Swmbo will assault any virus that is foolish enough to enter her system with some extra white wine. She'll either kill it or drown it.

John.

16 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Great progress John. Where do you get the etched casting numbers from?

Terry

Thanks Terry. They're not etched, they are water slide decals. The numbers and letters are actually resin. They come from a very useful set from Archer Decals.

John.

• Thanks 1