Early M-51 Sherman.

Bullbasket

I've been rummaging around in my stash cupboard, trying to find something new to build that takes my fancy, and after much deliberation, I settled on a Sherman for a change. Well, I haven't built one since last week. I built Tamiya's excellent M-51 a few years ago, as a Batch 4 tank, that is to say, a very late version. This time, it will be built almost as Tamiya intended, as one of the early versions.

I won't go through all of the rigmarole of showing you all of the sprues, as I'm sure they've been on here at least once before. So, just the box and a photo of the excellent books by Dr. Robert Manasherob, which I find invaluable.

2f4c9c46-9de0-4867-b98b-8225c82ea714.JPG

df458bb7-bb30-4807-bd59-19a5eefcef5c.JPG

OK, that's the groundwork laid. I'll be making a start on it tomorrow, so I'll update when I have something done.

John.

• Like 13

Hi John. Hope you are well. I'm looking forward to seeing your build in progress. I've got the Dragon version of the M51 in the stash to build at some point. I will save your thread as a reference for mine later on. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

14 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi John. Hope you are well. I'm looking forward to seeing your build in progress. I've got the Dragon version of the M51 in the stash to build at some point. I will save your thread as a reference for mine later on. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix and thanks for asking, and yes, I am well. Especially after getting some good news from the neurologist that I saw last week. I had to be tested for MS and Muscular Dystrophy. Glad to say, all negative. Turns out I have some nerve disease which is annoying, but not dangerous. So, all good.

If you are going to build the Dragon M51, try and get hold of another 105mm gun, or at least make a new muzzle brake. Dragon's is way too large.

John. 

14 hours ago, Hamden said:

This looks an interesting version of the Sherman so I'll take a seat and follow along if you don't mind?

Roger

11 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Gawd he's at it again! 😁...

Another one to watch and enjoy. Look forward to seeing this come together John.

Regards,

Steve

11 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Ooooooh looks interesting John, I'm getting a sneaky suspicion you like a Sherman. I won't let on if you don't!

Looking forward to watching this. 

Cheers

5 hours ago, Vaastav said:

Well John, it seems you have been affected by the Sherman bug. Like I was with Soviet armour.

Glad to have you all along. As you may have guessed, I do have a liking for Shermans, eleven 1/35, and six 1/48 finished so far, with about half a dozen in the stash.

John.

• Like 3

I did a little research before I launched headlong into this build, as I wanted to be sure that I didn’t need to do any major surgery such as extending the rear upper hull. I believe that work came with the later batches. Over on the IDF modelling site, I found a long discussion from way back in 2011, when Tamiya first released this kit. One of the contributors to the thread was none other than Dr. Robert Manasherob, who is an acknowledged expert on IDF armour. He explained in some length the various modifications to the M-51. The first batch were known as Degem Alef, alef being the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet. These still had the Continental radial engine with the original exhaust and deflector and the air cleaners. The next batch, Degem Beth, were much the same, only the engine had been changed to a Cummins diesel, exhausting through an M4A3 exhaust. This one is the subject of Tamiya’s kit. The third batch, Degem Gimel had the rear exhaust blanked off and louvres on the engine deck. The fourth batch, Degem Dalet, incorporated a new exhaust system and an extension to the rear upper hull. This is the one that I built a few years ago, again using the Tamiya kit. There were other changes, but that’s just the basic essentials.

So, we’re off and running. Tamiya have approached the lower hull in a different way to their previous Shermans. It doesn’t come as a tub but as separate pieces. It works very well as I found the first time I built one of these. You don’t have to straighten up the side walls as I’ve had to do with some Dragon kits. So it’s basically two sides, with rear extensions, a floor, a rear plate and the differential cover. There is also an engine bulkhead, which helps to keep it square.

49c661cd-6068-4305-aaba-0baa7a9574d8.JPG

But before I assembled all of these parts, there were some small jobs that needed doing. I added some casting marks to the lower part of the diff cover, using the Archer casting decals. I also added the General Steel casting to the front hull plate at the same time.

I made up couple of footsteps that the crew used to climb up onto the tank. These were made from 30thou width strips of card. I also added two towing shackles.

c0198798-2c01-48d0-bd87-bb1ee06a3953.JPG

At the back I added two more towing shackles (why doesn’t Tamiya include these in their Sherman kits?). To make it easier (and quicker) to open the engine rear doors, IDF crews welded U shaped handles to the securing bolts for the doors. I made these from brass wire and added two retaining chains, courtesy of Tank Workshop. I also replaced the moulded on grab handle with some brass wire.

c38ccb3b-e91a-4fcd-8786-513910f8a8f1.JPG

And finally, the completed lower hull.

259c2ee8-12a2-4109-9214-a95b7cba4790.JPG

deafb97b-ff0b-4af7-9e2a-b16e911265a9.JPG

Thanks for looking. Comments appreciated.

John.

• Like 12

12 hours ago, Hamden said:

As this has an engine bulkhead supplied is there an interior in this kit or is just help align the side panals?

Roger  

'Morning Roger. No, there is no interior detail in the kit, but I believe that (possibly) Verlinden so a resin kit for it ( the Continental radial that is, not the Cummins diesel).

John.

11 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Nice attention to detail John, makes all the difference. :thumbsup:

Thanks Darryl.

John.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fatfingers said:

Morning John,

Off to a good start and some interesting background info on IDF Shermans.

Enjoying this already.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks for the comments Steve. All the info comes courtesy of the excellent Sabingamartin books. Can't recommend them highly enough.

John.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

Always nice to see another Sherman build and lots of interesting information about the various configurations :book:

beefy 

Hi Beefy and thanks for the comments. I'm hoping that I can continue with the build as I have a problem with my hands. Not to put too finer point on it, I'm having problems gripping things. Hopefully it will get sorted as I have another Sherman lined up after this. It's another IDF tank, the M50. I built an early one a few years ago, but this time it will be the later one with the HVSS.

John.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

Sorry to hear of your problems John hope all is resolved soon

Roger

Thanks Roger. They've ruled out MS and MD, so now I just have to wait for the results of my blood tests. I never knew that they could get so much blood out of me. As the late Tony Hancock said "That's very nearly an armful!"

John.

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Hope they don't keep you waiting to long for the results and glad to hear that MS & MD have been ruled out.

Roger

No, they're like greased lightning over here. I had the tests done at 8am and the results were emailed to me just after midday. They don't mean much to me, so now I'm trying to get an appointment with my GP.

John.

Hi John. Sorry to hear your health news and I hope you get sorted soon and can get back to your Sherman. It looks like you made a good start with the hull tub and additional details.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi John. Sorry to hear your health news and I hope you get sorted soon and can get back to your Sherman. It looks like you made a good start with the hull tub and additional details.

Kind regards,

Stix 

3 hours ago, robgizlu said:

John - sorry to hear about the hands and I hope that gets better/sorted soon.

Great work so far - hope this can all progress soon

Best regards

Rob

Thanks Stix and Rob for the comments on the build and the kind remarks regarding my health. I can still get one with the build, I just can't grip anything tight. Put it this way; I won't be doing any arm wrestling any time soon.

John.

• Like 1