Eduard 1/72 Fw 190F-8

IanC

Hello all. This is the 'Weekend' version of Eduard's 1/72 Fw 190F-8, which took several weeks to finish. I was aiming for a typical 1945 look, showing an aircraft put together from components produced at dispersed sites. So the main fuselage is in 'RLM 84' or whatever you want to call it, whereas the cowl and tail are in RLM 76. The rudder is again from another source. Undersurfaces are partly unpainted. Photos seem to show that many of these aircraft (and not just Fw 190D-9s) did not receive a uniform coat of paint underneath.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking and all the best.

Ian

• Like 38

1 hour ago, Spitfire31 said:

Excellent concept, beautifully realised!

She would look good on a simple base, maybe with a couple of G.I.s snapping photos? 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim

That's a good idea. Especially as many of these aircraft were piled up on airfields in Germany and Czechoslovakia at the end. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Fantastic butcher bird 👍 That mottling is sublime....how did you manage it? Any tips?

Thanks. For this one I tried out Vallejo's Model Air Luftwaffe paint set. Colours look ok to me and they spray well, but you do need to prime the model first. I just use Tamiya dark grey.

For the mottle I thin the paint a little bit more (c. 20%) and turn down the air pressure to about 10-12 PSI. Maybe even a bit less. This allows me to get the airbrush closer to the model and achieve a tighter, more 'in-scale' look, but I find it a tricky process in 1/72. I use a Harder & Steinbeck Ultra. I also wear a nitrile glove when holding the model and my thumb is a good place to test how well the paint is flowing before committing to plastic!

Ian

19 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

Great tips. Thank you. I too mainly use model air and find out fabulous for general coverage but when trying anything fine find that it either clogs if not thinned enough....or splatters or 'spiders' if thinned too much 😕

Yes it's a delicate balancing act.  Have you tried Gunze Mr Hobby paints with their 400 levelling thinner? I think they're superior - very fine pigment and they don't dry as quickly. I did my Me 262 with them and to be honest I think they give a better result.

It was never this stressful when we just slapped the Humbrol on with a brush!!

spacer.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IanC said:

Yes it's a delicate balancing act.  Have you tried Gunze Mr Hobby paints with their 400 levelling thinner? I think they're superior - very fine pigment and they don't dry as quickly. I did my Me 262 with them and to be honest I think they give a better result.

No I've not tried Gunze...would that be the same as Mr Color Aqueous? I've thought about it many times as the paint range seems to be comprehensive. Does it have a strong odour as Tamiya is about the limit with smell! 🤔

7 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

No I've not tried Gunze...would that be the same as Mr Color Aqueous?

I think Mr. Color is their lacquer-based line and Mr. Color Aqueous is their acrylic-based line. Mr. Color dries faster and adheres better, being a water-based lacquer. Almost the same colors in either range. Both dry to a nice semi-matte sheen so they don't usually require a gloss coat for decaling. They spray beautifully, especially if you put a  few drops of their Mr. Leveling Thinner in with your mix. You can do an online search for charts that show the available colors in each line. They do smell about like the Tamiya acrylics, but aren't objectionable, unlike what Missus 72modeler says about me! IIRC there has been discussion/reviews of  Gunze paints here on BM- you could look for them.

Mike

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, binbrook87 said:

No I've not tried Gunze...would that be the same as Mr Color Aqueous? I've thought about it many times as the paint range seems to be comprehensive. Does it have a strong odour as Tamiya is about the limit with smell! 🤔

Yes Mr Hobby Aqueous Hobby Color - best paints I've ever used. As 72modeller says, you don't need a gloss coat on top. I just buff up the paint a bit with one of those Flory Models paint sanding sticks or Micro-Mesh.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

@IanC,

That's a very nice 262! Is that the new-tool Airfix kit? Very in-scale mottling, like your Fw-190! 👍

Mike

Thanks. It is indeed. Nice kit too. I've recently added the Me262A-2 to the stash so I can do the fighter bomber version.

1 hour ago, IanC said:

Thanks. It is indeed. Nice kit too. I've recently added the Me262A-2 to the stash so I can do the fighter bomber version.

Did you scribe or add the vents missing from the rear of the nacelles? That seemed to be the biggest flaw in the Airfix kit- I have the two-seater, as I really love the night fighters and also would love to do the a-1a/U4, werk nummer 170083 with the 50mm cannon!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text