AK burnishing fluid and fruil tracks question

ricardoo

Hi 

just completed a burnishing session on fruil tracks and while the results are spot on , I’ve noticed some tracks started fall off . 

I had them soaked for a couple of hours , did I leave them in too long or is it possible I missed a link or two that didn’t get any CA glue ? 

Any thoughts would be appreciated 

cheers 

The burnishing fluid might just have got between the CA and the metal.  Just make sure you rinse off the fluid with clean water, then repair the links.  That's why I usually burnish my tracks before I make them up :) Unless you leave the parts in the water for months, they shouldn't be damaged, and even then the fluid is weakened by doing its job, so it'll eventually lose effectiveness and become inert.  IIRC you can get 2-3 sets of tracks out of a bottle, then you have to dip into your wallet for a new bottle :shrug:

7 minutes ago, JackG said:

I thought Fruils are designed without the need of glue, and are held together with metal pins? 

You put a dot of CA to hold the pins in position :)

• Like 1

Thanks Mike, I've only assembled one set of Friuls and never applied glue - guess it was just luck they never fell apart.   After viewing a how to video, another good point to consider is if you apply glue before burnishing, the fluid won't do it's work on metal portions covered in glue.

regards,

Jack

13 minutes ago, JackG said:

Thanks Mike, I've only assembled one set of Friuls and never applied glue - guess it was just luck they never fell apart.   After viewing a how to video, another good point to consider is if you apply glue before burnishing, the fluid won't do it's work on metal portions covered in glue.

If the pins are slightly bent, they'll stay in position pretty well, and the point about un-burnished metal under the glue is also true.  Doesn't look nice, does it? :)