1/72 Tamiya Supermarine Spitfire I

Morning all,

Here's the latest off the bench, the lovely little Tamiya Spitfire I. This model marks the first part of the resumption of a Battle of Britain project I started five years ago for the 75th anniversary, although this has been finished in the markings 74 Squadron aircraft that forced landed during the Battle of France. Given that battle shares the same anniversary I thought it should be included in the project. The main markings came from an Xtradecal sheet, the only other aftermarket inclusion were Eduard seat belts. Finished using Hataka Orange Line lacquers and Alclad for the exhausts, W&N Galeria Matt varnish for the final coat.

49471862636_fee64dafbf_o.jpg1/72 Tamiya Supermarine Spitfire I by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

49472086252_a832ce6401_o.jpg1/72 Tamiya Supermarine Spitfire I by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

49471371173_7919c7951e_o.jpg1/72 Tamiya Supermarine Spitfire I by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

49471371138_5092a42541_o.jpg1/72 Tamiya Supermarine Spitfire I by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

49472086187_457aefddf4_o.jpg1/72 Tamiya Supermarine Spitfire I by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, comments welcomed

Shaun

• Like 43

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bangor Lad said:

Great build and a really nice finish. How long have you been using W&N varnish? Any tips on how you use it?

Thanks

Cheers, this was actually my first time using W&N. I had a few issues intially in that it wasn't drying especially flat, which I put down to thinning too much (roughly 50/50 with Tamiya thinners). I sprayed the final coat neat and it dried much flatter with the slight sheen you can see, which was the finish I was looking for. I suppose another coat would have resulted in a perfectly flat coat.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Seamus said:

Cheers, this was actually my first time using W&N. I had a few issues intially in that it wasn't drying especially flat, which I put down to thinning too much (roughly 50/50 with Tamiya thinners). I sprayed the final coat neat and it dried much flatter with the slight sheen you can see, which was the finish I was looking for. I suppose another coat would have resulted in a perfectly flat coat.

Hope that helps.

That's brilliant, thanks. Getting the right finish, and in particular that slight sheen isn't easy in my experience. Thanks for the tip. I'll need to try it.

Cheers

• Like 1