Super Glue - prevent it from drying up?

AdriaN (MLT)

Like many of us, I always keeping having to replace my small tubs of super glue because they harden up. And very often the nozzle clogs up, even though I carefully clean the glue after use and wait for the glue to fall back into tub and out of the nozzle. If you put the cap back on immediately you create a vacuum and the glue remains in the nozzle.

'Delux Rocket crystal clear glue' is a great glue because it dries clear and doesn't mist up parts, BUT, it is quite expensive at 11 euro a bottle and not easy to find. It ends up drying up and I would have barely used any.

Did some research and found it dries up because the moisture in the air reacts with it and makes the glue harden. I came across a few tips saying it can be put into a sealed container to prevent moisture from getting in. Also by throwing in a moisture bag. Others requested throwing it in a sealed container in the fridge.

Will it actually help in preventing glue from drying up? NO IDEA! But i gave it a try below........

IMGP0089

Do as I do?  7 tubes of superglue from Poundland, all on one card...………….for a £1.....been using them for years and no bad results yet...………...once a tube is opened, as long as you place the cap back on and place in the fridge, it lasts indefinitely.  Currently have different speeds in the fridge, mainly zap a gap, thick, medium and thin...…………..had them in there for about 4, years, possibly longer, don't use them so much now as tend to rely on the Poundland ones...…...if one goes off, which hasn't happened yet, go for another from the fridge

• Thanks 1

Always keep mine in the fridge and dont have a problem. Given the rate at which I model we are talking here about years!

I use Zap and always wipe the nozzle of the bottle before replacing the cap which seems to help prevent clogging - if there is no glue up the spout when you

put the cap on then there is none to set and clog the nozzle.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rayprit said:

Do as I do?  7 tubes of superglue from Poundland, all on one card...………….for a £1.....been using them for years and no bad results yet...………...once a tube is opened, as long as you place the cap back on and place in the fridge, it lasts indefinitely.  Currently have different speeds in the fridge, mainly zap a gap, thick, medium and thin...…………..had them in there for about 4, years, possibly longer, don't use them so much now as tend to rely on the Poundland ones...…...if one goes off, which hasn't happened yet, go for another from the fridge

Do you leave them in the fridge loose or put them in a jar?

2 people suggested leaving it in the fridge.. so I guess I will have to leave them in the fridge. I am sure mom/dad/bro are not going to accept this! 😂😂

Edited by AdriaN (MLT)

1. put them in a non-see-thru box and mark it Adrian's Marmite Sandwiches - guaranteed no-one will open that box

2. I apply a coat of vaseline on the neck and threads of a bottle or tube - helps prevent the lid getting glued on

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, AdriaN (MLT) said:

Do you leave them in the fridge loose or put them in a jar?

I leave them on the card and remove them as I need them...……….I have recently just rescribed an airfix Vulcan and due to a lot of mistakes and filling of holes or sink marks on the intake splitter plates and another kit, I managed to use a whole tube over the course of 3 weeks.  I tend to use superglue as my one and only filler now, gave up on other well known putties...………….hence the tubes are ideal

I do keep my 2 part epoxy in a jar in the fridge, but only because it keeps the tubes upright, otherwise, lying down one of the catalysts leaks and tends to lie in gooey mess, making the tube awkward to pick up

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Black Knight said:

1. put them in a non-see-thru box and mark it Adrian's Marmite Sandwiches - guaranteed no-one will open that box

2. I apply a coat of vaseline on the neck and threads of a bottle or tube - helps prevent the lid getting glued on

2. Fantastic idea! never thought of it. Ill try it out next time i buy super glue.