Mikoyan-Gurevich Mig-15 Warpaint No.120

Mike

Mikoyan-Gurevich Mig-15 Warpaint No.120

Guideline Publications

cover.jpg

The Mig-15 was the Soviet Union’s first accomplished jet fighter following WWII, the better design of a number of candidates and more capable of achieving transonic speeds because of its swept wings than the other straight winged competitors.  Using reverse-engineered, locally built Rolls Royce Nene copies for power they became one of the most produced fighter jets and were upgraded as time went by until they reached the limits of the airframe and were replaced by the upgraded Mig-17 that served in Vietnam against F-4 Phantoms and other supersonic aircraft.

pages1.jpg

pages2.jpg

This book by author Nikolay Yakubovich and translated into English by Kevin Bridge covers the birth and development of the airframe in great detail, as well as providing tons of excellent pictures, many of which are in black and white due to their being contemporary shots, plus 1:72 plans and profiles in the centre, penned by Andrey Yurgenson.  The book is in the usual Warpaint format of portrait A4(ish) with a soft card cover and 60 pages plus content printed on the four glossy pages of the covers.   A short introduction details the birth of the type and its subsequent upgrades.

Introduction

The Start of the ‘Story’

The Fighter Trainer

The Mig-15bis

All Weather Interceptors

Colour Profiles

Reconnaissance Aircraft

Ground Attack Role

‘Tugs’

Flying Laboratories and Targets

On the Road to Supersonic Flight

Series Production

Colour Profiles

In Service

Mig-15 version plans in 1:72

The Mig-15 in Combat

Colour Profiles

Overseas

Liveries and Markings

A Short Technical Description of the Mig-15bis Aircraft

Kits, Decals & Accessories Listing

Mig-15 in Detail

pages3.jpg

pages4.jpg

The pages include a lot of useful pictures with informative captions of aircraft in maintenance, on the field and even after difficult landings, with appropriate photos and drawings dotted around.  In the "In Detail" section there are many close-up photos with some items numbered that will be a boon to modellers as well as people that like to know what everything does.

pages5.jpg

Conclusion

The Warpaint series always gets a thumbs-up due to their inability to produce a dud.  This is an excellent book that will see plenty of use by anyone interest in knowing more about, and/or building one of these early Soviet jet fighters.

Very highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gosh dang it! Another expense. Mrs. DB is getting really peeved at me for spending so much of my pension money on stuff like this. 

Oh, to hell with it! I'm getting one. If I order it through Hannants ( like I normally do ), then I'll have to get another kit to bring it up to the minimum amount. Yah!

Chris

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

then I'll have to get another kit to bring it up to the minimum amount. Yah!

Chris

Mig-15 perhaps?  Just a suggestion.  :whistle:

Thanks for the review Mike. Looks a very decent publication at a modest price. One to add to the collection 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1