A Blue Nosed Bar Steward - Tamiya 1/48

Dave_R

On 2/9/2020 at 12:36 AM, Andwil said:

Interesting approach.  When I did mine I did the wings first as I considered it easier to mask them off than the fuselage.  

AW

I did it that way round because I didn't know how the Humbrol 11 would react to the Alclad lacquer.

Dave.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Masked ready for the blue nose.

49519715578_5d03c98480_c.jpg

To get the curved bit done I scaled a PDF of the blue area to 1/48th in Photoshop and printed out at 100%.  It turned out that a 2p coin matched the circumference and I used the 2p to cut out a piece of masking tape to fit.

Dave.

• Like 3

Hi All,

... and paint on and masking removed.

49520843487_b54843e947_b.jpg

49520104098_65433d9baa_o.jpg

The blue is a homebrew of Humbrol 14 and 34.  It's lighter, less saturated and semi-gloss compared to that seen on restored Mustangs, but to my eye is a closer match to the historical photos.

Dave.

Edited by Dave_R
  • Like 13

5 hours ago, Johnson said:

Very nice Dave, excellent progress. The blue looks just right!

May I ask what primer you used under the Alclad Aluminium?

Thanks,

It's from Poundland and it's just called Auto Spray Paint and who'd have thunk it - it costs a pound!

One can has done four kits so far and will probably be OK for a couple more.  It does stink though - only to be used with very good ventilation and preferably a face mask and when the can is new too much comes out, so don't hold the can too close.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dave_R said:

It's from Poundland and it's just called Auto Spray Paint and who'd have thunk it - it costs a pound!

Obviously works well, no problem with your Alclad bubbling the primer (as happens with enamel - it's the nasty solvents they put in Alcald) or lifting with all that masking. And you got a very good finish.

On 2/16/2020 at 7:39 PM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening Dave

Very good job she looks great with the decals on ..Be careful I think that the doors of the landing gear are on the wrong side ..

Patrice

When looked again at the photo I thought you were right and I had to go and check, but it's just an optical illusion caused by the lighting angle and background.

49552386227_9c97d1e868.jpg 

49551651078_1e48511ca5.jpg

Dave.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Dave_R said:

When looked again at the photo I thought you were right and I had to go and check, but it's just an optical illusion caused by the lighting angle and background.

I believe he was referring to the doors on the landing gear itself.  The little curved portion at the bottom should be pointing to the front.

49470788627_4a6d3bfb07_c.jpg

Edited by BlueNosers352nd
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm calling this done.

49647864097_90e4a13144_o.jpg

49647864362_68efe3362b_b.jpg

I've put the U/C doors on the right way round and done a bit of weathering using oil paint.  Gallery shots to follow.

Dave.

Edited by Dave_R
  • Like 9

Oh, that is great! I love the blue colour, looks just right to me. I'm happy to see more 1/48ers now coming to be finished. Congratulation Dave!