A Blue Nosed Bar Steward - Tamiya 1/48

Dave_R

Hi All,

This is a bit of a late entry, but I couldn't resist another Mustang build.  The postie arrived this morning with this:-

49468055788_903c157006_o.jpg

49468058043_6e15e3cf51_b.jpg

49468778732_10ca0e9c48_b.jpg

To be finished with the well known blue nose of the 352nd Fighter Group.

There's not a lot of time left, but I've built the Tamiya Mk. III before and there's no problem in the construction.  There's only time for a strict OTB build what with all that NMF.  Hopefully I'll get the cockpit done fairly quickly.

Dave.

Edited by Dave_R
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Oooo ooo ooo.........another Blue Noser! :thumbsup:  What bird you gonna do?

I'm using the Tamiya decals for Lt. Col. John Meyers "Petie 2nd".

1532137_orig.jpg

The kit decals have "Petie 2nd" in white - but they don't look at all white in the photo.  I'll  have to think about how to to fix that.

Dave.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dave_R said:

The kit decals have "Petie 2nd" in white - but they don't look at all white in the photo.

Ive built Petie twice in the past. I agree they don't look white. The color always made me think of the flesh color used for the Baby in the artwork. It could also be a dirty yellow or cream color ? Maybe repaint while they're still on the sheet and cover with micro-scale decal fix ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

1 hour ago, Dave_R said:

The kit decals have "Petie 2nd" in white - but they don't look at all white in the photo.  I'll  have to think about how to to fix that.

Dave,  you could still do the white Petie 2nd version.  There was two different iterations.  After your post I went and grabbed the Blue Nosed B's of Bodney book the 352nd FG Association put out years ago and took a quick peek.  Not sure what other photos of it are in the book.  But in the back they go through every squadron and give a B&W photo and a description of each plane.

NOTE: Flickr was running slow/having issues earlier, so if it doesn't load maybe they are still have intermittent issues.

49470788627_4a6d3bfb07_c.jpg

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ive built Petie twice in the past. I agree they don't look white. The color always made me think of the flesh color used for the Baby in the artwork. It could also be a dirty yellow or cream color ? Maybe repaint while they're still on the sheet and cover with micro-scale decal fix ? 

I've did a little test this morning with yellow paint and I'll need a very steady hand to do a good job.  I'm going to try a yellow felt tip pen next - I know there's one in the house somewhere, I even know which room it's in, but it could still take a long time to find it.

Dave.

1 minute ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Dave,  you could still do the white Petie 2nd version.  There was two different iterations.  After your post I went and grabbed the Blue Nosed B's of Bodney book the 352nd FG Association put out years ago and took a quick peek.  Not sure what other photos of it are in the book.  But in the back they go through every squadron and give a B&W photo and a description of each plane.

NOTE: Flickr was running slow/having issues earlier, so if it doesn't load maybe they are still have intermittent issues.

49470788627_4a6d3bfb07_c.jpg

Thank you.

For the white option it looks as though I'll only have to remove the lower line of kill marks. (Interesting that they had a squadron artist  - something British fighter squadrons seem to have generally lacked.)

Dave.

7 minutes ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Kill Markings and the character were also changed as well.

Ah - some cross-posting going on here.

One problem solved but another created - it's well past midnight on this side of the pond so I'll look into it tomorrow.

Dave.

I don't think the kill markings were changed on Petie 2nd.  Character was changed on Petie 3rd.

These are the only other things I got on Petie 2nd.  Didn't find any other photos other than the one you already posted.

Super old Microscale Decal Sheet
49472563208_53697b8a90_c.jpg

Closeup in the Osprey book....
49473272632_dd55e9b012_c.jpg

• Like 2

Hi All.

The cockpit's done.

49472561203_b8a33c4d68_c.jpg

Slightly annoyingly there's no decal for the instruments, so I spent a couple of hours cutting dials from spare decals.

49473270972_ec3e2ca389_c.jpg

49473048496_d3d64887a3_c.jpg

49473271222_ec8933f3bc_c.jpg

Quite basic compared to the Eduard interior, but I'm too bothered - I can't see much of it anyway.

So I can crack on with the build now.

Dave.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

I don't think the kill markings were changed on Petie 2nd.  Character was changed on Petie 3rd.

These are the only other things I got on Petie 2nd.  Didn't find any other photos other than the one you already posted.

Super old Microscale Decal Sheet
49472563208_53697b8a90_c.jpg

Closeup in the Osprey book....
49473272632_dd55e9b012_c.jpg

Thanks for the photo, I think that might have solved the problem. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Fast work there, you've reached the stage in less than a week, that it's taken me over a month to achieve.

John

But you've put more work into the cockpit so that makes a difference.

• Thanks 1

Hi All,

I've put a coat of Alclad Aluminium on the bare metal areas.

49501309712_05baf5e218_o.jpg

49501088486_8bb44c2b31_o.jpg

It's not too shiny, but the photos above show a highly oxidised Aluminium finish - not a polished Airshow Warbird.

Next will be Humbrol 11 for the wing areas.

Dave.

• Like 5