Filler for resin kits

Army80

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but gonna give it a shot. So I picked up the 1/48 resin Mig-31 Firefox a little while back and want to start on it. Don't reall have muck experience with a full resin kit. My question is what is the best filler to use for gaps etc.. Do I use just normal kit filler like Mr. surfacer or should I be using something else? Any help you gents make would be much appreciated.

The best filler is superglue aka CA glue. It can be sanded, cut, sawed and scribed and in the painting process behaves like plastic and/or resin. The downside of CA is that you have to finish all the surface preparation actions during the first 24 hours. That's because the chemical drying process of CA will make it's surface  harder than surrounding plastic/resin after 24 hours. Please try out first.  

Edited by tsepajev
  • Like 1

I use the same filler putty I use on plastic kits: Spies Hecker Permacron Fine Putty 7715. The manufacturer describes it as a "one pack acrylic putty that spreads very easily and pore-free, and after a short drying time, can be very easily sanded. It has a neutral light beige color and is suitable for touching up prepared substrates. Can be applied to bare sheet metal."

7715_hr_tube.jpgjsessionid462ac54a7a88cf

So long as the filler isn't the type that bonds by melting into plastic you should be able to use quite a variety of Brands. Mr Surfacer will work fine on resin to fill smaller gaps and flaws just like on a regular kit. A thicker superglue is handy for larger gaps, you can also use Milliput or any other two part epoxy type filler. All these types of filler are equally useful on plastic kits so you don't have to buy stuff just for resin, saves cash that way. As always when trying new products, test on some scrap first just in case.

Duncan B

I have just rescribed a resin kit and the cutter went off track a number of times...…………...same as everyone here, I use superglue...……….once I correct or fill in a wavy line or poor cut I move onto another part of the kit until its gone off, then rescribe, if, I am in a rush then I mix  Talcum power, or Baking soda, or Bicarb soda...….all work well, tips given to me years ago by Alan Hall author, historian and founder of Scale Aircraft Modelling in 1978

7 tubes of Superglue on a card from Poundland...…….been using them for years and nothing bad to report about results afterwards.

Keep your superglue in a fridge otherwise it goes off pretty quick...………..I have some superglues that have been in the fridge for years, thick, thin and medium, but tend to rely more on the Poundlands superglue

3 hours ago, Scimitar F1 said:

If you mix it with talcum powder you can adjust the hardness. 

That's what I use for filling plastic or resin. Very quick drying, easy to carve and sand. I gave up on putty fillers a long time ago.

I love CA for filling gaps. As @tsepajev noted above, you need to file/sand it soon after it's dried. If you wait a day, you could have an embedded rock. I especially like CA as a surface filler--with a 6-cut swiss-pattern needle file, you can get a perfectly feathered, mirror-like surface.

One word of caution... if you store the CA in the refrigerator, let it come up to room temperature before using.  The little plastic bbottles don't like to be squeezed when they are cold, and will split and destroy your clothing....

Ask me how I know!

Ed