BORDER MODEL PZ.KPFW IV Ausf G with Schürzen.

1 hour ago, Foxbat said:

A beautiful build so far, I'll follow along to completion if you don't mind. I was inspired to check out Border to see what else they did and had the massive good fortune to pick up a Leopard 2 for 1/3 off minutes before Hannants stopped the offer, so cheers for that too :)

Andy

Thanks Andy, appreciate you taking a look.

As regards Border Model.....I couldn’t speak any higher about this kit and I imagine their other kits that coming on line and available. I was very impressed in this Panzer IV. I’d certainly build more of their range......all I really had to do was some Griffon tool clamps and some latches for the gun cleaning rods. They remind me of Tamiya as regards the fit of the parts......and Dragon for their additional details here and their.

regards

Simon

Just now, Kris B said:

Nice, never seen this camo before on the model. 

Hi Kris.......found it in a Polish book on Panzer Divisions at Kursk.  A pic of the reference is seen early on in the thread

Regards

Simon

Finally finished getting the tracks on........and mud to the side s. All thats left is the mud to match up front and the rear..before final addition of the schurzen and springs for the mud flaps......

PYjEe31.jpg

taAErNA.jpg

EGFqJYR.jpg

LKRyPKf.jpg

EAFZJoX.jpg

ZWx34CM.jpg

yq2Pflv.jpg

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, vytautas said:

It looks very good, like a real one.

Maybe the muffler shines too much?

Vytautas

It’s far from finished mate......I still have the detail mentioned above, plus some stowage here and there.....last thing that will be done is a flat coat to seal everything in.....so any shine will be gone.

👍

Hi Simon,  looking good mate.

Patina on the exhaust is really good and i do like the detail paintwork on the tools and such like. Tracks have come out well.

Great mud affect on the lower hull btw.

Wouldn't fancy having to use his tow cable though with that awkward kink in it where it's secured above the exhaust. (Could just be the photo)

Had to try and find something to mention....:winkgrin:

Cheers

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

Everything on this model is simply superb! Tools, exhaust, and details in general are beautiful....

You mentioned that you will apply flat coat, but you already applied mud. Do you avoid areas where mud is applied? Because at least for me, flat coat completely changes mud and dust so I usually apply them at the end.

Best,

Nenad

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Hi Simon,  looking good mate.

Patina on the exhaust is really good and i do like the detail paintwork on the tools and such like. Tracks have come out well.

Great mud affect on the lower hull btw.

Wouldn't fancy having to use his tow cable though with that awkward kink in it where it's secured above the exhaust. (Could just be the photo)

Had to try and find something to mention....:winkgrin:

Cheers

Darryl 

Cheers Darryl.....glad you like. The tracks were Modelkasten. I have to say, I might be retisent in getting them again as they are really delicate once complete, so when painting you can break them here and there....which I did :unsure:. And as regards the cable.......let's say, end of the war..don't imagine a request for a new tow cable would down well.....Please sir, I need a new one....mine's got a kink in it.......:D. It's a very soft copper wire and it got damaged, so I hid it at this point. I intend to have some chain and bucket on that hook, so should hide it a bit more.

2 hours ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

Everything on this model is simply superb! Tools, exhaust, and details in general are beautiful....

You mentioned that you will apply flat coat, but you already applied mud. Do you avoid areas where mud is applied? Because at least for me, flat coat completely changes mud and dust so I usually apply them at the end.

Best,

Nenad

Cheers Nenad.....and yes. A flat coat to seal everything. I still have to add the damp and wet areas towards the bottom of the chassis..with clear satin and gloss ..so best done at the end mate.

Thanks again both.......:yes:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Cheers Darryl.....glad you like. The tracks were Modelkasten. I have to say, I might be retisent in getting them again as they are really delicate once complete, so when painting you can break them here and there....which I did :unsure:. And as regards the cable.......let's say, end of the war..don't imagine a request for a new tow cable would down well.....Please sir, I need a new one....mine's got a kink in it.......:D. It's a very soft copper wire and it got damaged, so I hid it at this point. I intend to have some chain and bucket on that hook, so should hide it a bit 

Modelkasten delicate... I've managed to create delicate Fruils so I'd be up the proverbial creak with Modelkasten! (Fruils seemed so robust until 6hrs submerged in burnishing fluid.... It isn't healthy for copper wire pins :doh:)

(Only pulling your leg re' the cable, however,  kursk 1943.....end of war :whistle:  start of the end maybe 😉).

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Like 1

Nice. 

I'm painting the towing cables with Tamiya XF-84 Dark Iron. And then some Gun metal drybrush. I do not trust those blackening liquids.

Model looks nice, can't wait to see it finished. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Modelkasten delicate... I've managed to create delicate Fruils so I'd be up the proverbial creak with Modelkasten! (Fruils seemed so robust until 6hrs submerged in burnishing fluid.... It isn't healthy for copper wire pins :doh:)

(Only pulling your leg re' the cable, however,  kursk 1943.....end of war :whistle:  start of the end maybe 😉).

Cheers 

Darryl 

I know mate your kidding........:D...I didn't know that about the copper though, good to know.....:yes:

3 hours ago, Kris B said:

Nice. 

I'm painting the towing cables with Tamiya XF-84 Dark Iron. And then some Gun metal drybrush. I do not trust those blackening liquids.

Model looks nice, can't wait to see it finished. 

Hi Kris.....I paint mine now with MrColor Metal, then wash's of rust coloured pigments....and then rubbed off in places to expose the burnishable metal colour beneath.....glad you like so far. I might put this on a base with my Kursk Panther (languishing in my TBD pile.....:unsure:)........thanks again :yes:

• Like 1

There are some models that you just never get tired of looking at ...this is one of them....you really have done a stunning job on this everything is just right.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I didn't know that about the copper though, good to know.....:yes:

Neither did I! 

Cleaning the Fruils up after being in the fluid and noticed a greenish discoloration, followed by a few links coming apart....

Could just have been the type of fluid....AK if anyone's interested. 

They still feel rather delicate and I dont want to re-pin them all.

Atb

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Absolutely beautiful painting and weathering, work of art, stunning !

Ed 

Thanks Ed...... appreciate that 👍

17 hours ago, mick said:

great work

Thanks Mick .....👍

15 hours ago, M3talpig said:

There are some models that you just never get tired of looking at ...this is one of them....you really have done a stunning job on this everything is just right.

Coming from you Steve, much appreciated. I’m nearly finished ... managed to get the springs on the mud guards done and then started painting the side skirts........so not far now. Thanks again mate👍

6 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Neither did I! 

Cleaning the Fruils up after being in the fluid and noticed a greenish discoloration, followed by a few links coming apart....

Could just have been the type of fluid....AK if anyone's interested. 

They still feel rather delicate and I dont want to re-pin them all.

Atb

Glad I know.... at present I use a jewellery wire I get from Hobby Craft on a spool....0.5mm......white metal.

i just got some VMS blackening.....I’ll let you know how it performs.

Thanks again all 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good tip regarding the wire,  keep in mind next time I'm out somewhere suitable. Your the second person to suggest VMS, other might have been Dan, memory like a sieve..:mental:

Looking forward to seeing it finished. Go on try a base / vignette... you know you want too! :winkgrin:

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1

Hi Darryl.....

I have to say the VMS though is a bit more f a process than the others available. You have to boil water and pre wash the tracks with liquid cement etc etc. I’m going to give it a got this week and let you know how it pans out.

i have some bases picked out for dioramas.....so watch this space🤓

Simon

• Like 1

Does sound a faff,  I'll see how yours work out. Boiling water I can manage, even without responsible adult supervision, but liquid cement....now where might I find that?

I can do the imagination thing for a base/vignette etc it's just the doing, especially when there is the prospect of starting a new kit on the horizon!

Think child in toy shop! :frantic:

Darryl